Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 03:55 PM

710 posts, read 403,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
I’ve been a resident of the state for close to 30 years. I’ve met so many good people on the economic development council, volunteering in my community (Greenwich) and just traveling the State….really good hardworking people in this State…...Yesterday I read that Connecticut ranks again almost at the bottom of some economic matrix of states ( companies are moving out jobs are leaving) Then a few days ago I read that frontier communication is moving out. Then I get a call from a hedge fund friend of mine telling me that Sikorsky is going to be slowly closing down its manufacturing because it’s new owners can make more profit out of state…. and their hedge fund is moving to Miami Florida ( its a big player) Three weeks ago I attend a local meeting and listen how Hartford is overriding every town in the States building department to dictate what could be built (citizens be damned) and then this morning I read that the town of Stamford is suing their own citizens because the citizens don’t want pot ( cannabis) to be sold in their neighborhood because of the concern of increased crime (makes sense).. this won’t be my fight anymore as I will be a resident of West Palm for six months and a day and then the rest of the time in Greenwich (2024) .. ps in case you don’t know everyone in the states as of 1/1/24 we’ll see an increase in their homeowners, auto and electric rates as okayed by Hartford..not a big one but one that the industry demanded… I’m not gonna be a fan of the flat terrain of Florida but it will be nice not to have Social Security taxed lol.. and no more dealing with emissions for my cars! Much success for those who stay here.
I mean, I don't think anything else needs to be said other than...okay bye then.

CT is not for everyone. It is for some people. It is not for other people. You are one of the not people soooooo have a nice new life?

Old 09-16-2023, 04:00 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
As far as I know, Desantis is the governor of the entire state, and has signed a number of anti-LGBTQ laws, in spite of the second highest gay population per capita.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/desantis-s...ry?id=99393976
I’m not going to get into a DeSantis debate, but I strongly encourage anyone who hasn’t actually read the bills in their entirety do so. The vast majority of people I speak with regarding these bills are grossly misinformed. That seems to be the case here.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:30 PM

129 posts, read 79,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
contractor fraud

ah man, the classic floridian racket

Old 09-16-2023, 05:46 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,753,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
I’ve been a resident of the state for close to 30 years. I’ve met so many good people on the economic development council, volunteering in my community (Greenwich) and just traveling the State….really good hardworking people in this State…...Yesterday I read that Connecticut ranks again almost at the bottom of some economic matrix of states ( companies are moving out jobs are leaving) Then a few days ago I read that frontier communication is moving out. Then I get a call from a hedge fund friend of mine telling me that Sikorsky is going to be slowly closing down its manufacturing because it’s new owners can make more profit out of state…. and their hedge fund is moving to Miami Florida ( its a big player) Three weeks ago I attend a local meeting and listen how Hartford is overriding every town in the States building department to dictate what could be built (citizens be damned) and then this morning I read that the town of Stamford is suing their own citizens because the citizens don’t want pot ( cannabis) to be sold in their neighborhood because of the concern of increased crime (makes sense).. this won’t be my fight anymore as I will be a resident of West Palm for six months and a day and then the rest of the time in Greenwich (2024) .. ps in case you don’t know everyone in the states as of 1/1/24 we’ll see an increase in their homeowners, auto and electric rates as okayed by Hartford..not a big one but one that the industry demanded… I’m not gonna be a fan of the flat terrain of Florida but it will be nice not to have Social Security taxed lol.. and no more dealing with emissions for my cars! Much success for those who stay here.
I recently read NY residents who transferred to Miami with corporations are unhappy with the public schools and there aren't enough private schools available for their kids like NY has. South Florida also has a problem with an iguana invasion, not to mention the python problem in Miami. A guy I know who lives in Tampa say many are moving out of South Florida for these reasons and high insurance costs. Let's see if the transplants will be so happy with Florida when they get hit with the first hurricane. Additionally, Florida is rated in 25th place when it comes to health care in the states. Last week a survey on the happiest people in the country rated NJ and CT in the top 5 and NY was #20.

I would bet if you need decent health care during your six month W. Palm Beach stay, you will come running back to the NY Metro area, but many who moved to Florida can't afford to return for better health care.

Some financial experts are saying the exodus from the Northeast to Florida is over because people aren't willing to give up their 3% mortgage to get a 7% one in Florida. Additionally, real estate companies like Blackstone made their money in South Florida and are looking to buy in Manhattan when the CRE prices hit bottom

Last edited by wp169; 09-16-2023 at 06:20 PM..

Old 09-16-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I recently read NY residents who transferred to Miami with corporations are unhappy with the public schools and there aren't enough private schools available for their kids like NY has. South Florida also has a problem with an iguana invasion, not to mention the python problem in Miami. A guy I know who lives in Tampa say many are moving out of South Florida for these reasons and high insurance costs. Let's see if the transplants will be so happy with Florida when they get hit with the first hurricane. Additionally, Florida is rated in 25th place when it comes to health care in the states. Last week a survey on the happiest people in the country rated NJ and CT in the top 5 and NY was #20.

I would bet if you need decent health care during your six month W. Palm Beach stay, you will come running back to the NY Metro area, but many who moved to Florida can't afford to return for better health care.

Some financial experts are saying the exodus from the Northeast to Florida is over because people aren't willing to give up their 3% mortgage to get a 7% one in Florida. Additionally, real estate companies like Blackstone made their money in South Florida are looking to buy in Manhattan now when the CRE prices are a good buy.
A lot of false information and assumptions here with zero statistical figures.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Look up the hospital ratings in Florida, most have very low ratings.

Watch Iguana Man on youtube killing invasive iguanas on Florida homeowners roofs and on golf courses, etc. One homeowner was hospitalized for salmonella when an iguana pooped in her swimming pool. There are 10 million iguanas in Florida now, each female lays 70 eggs at a time.

I don't remember what web-site I was on claiming the NY transplants are unhappy with the MIami public schools, otherwise I would have posted a link, but why would that be a lie?

Anyway, I'm not giving false info, the media is if you don't believe what I posted, and my friend in Tampa says he sees all the problems I wrote about first hand and residents are leaving Florida. I lived in Florida for 10 years, but glad I moved out a long time ago.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Look up the hospital ratings in Florida, most have very low ratings.

Watch Iguana Man on youtube killing invasive iguanas on Florida homeowners roofs and on golf courses, etc. One homeowner was hospitalized for salmonella when an iguana pooped in her swimming pool. There are 10 million iguanas in Florida now.

I don't remember what web-site I was on claiming the NY transplants are unhappy with the MIami public schools, but why would that be a lie?
There are many excellent hospitals in South Florida, including Mayo Clinic, Mt. Sinai, Kendall HCA, all of which won national awards for being among the top hospitals nationally. And doctors associated with those hospitals came directly from both New York and the Midwest. In my experience, having lived in both areas, I don’t see any difference. And I will tell you the best hospital in Connecticut nearly ended a family member’s life due to malpractice from gross negligence.

Are these same NY transplants who don’t like Miami public schools sending their kids to NYC public schools? Yes, private schools are bursting at the seams here, but that’s solely because the people moving to south Florida are not working or even middle class. They’re affluent who would be sending their children to private schools anyway.

As for your friend who was hospitalized for salmonella - either her pool wasn’t properly treated or she got salmonella from another source. Iguanas are hardly bothersome to people on a day to day basis - maybe to the ecosystem. And snakes aren’t very common unless you live out by the Everglades.

I agree that the OP’s post can be a bit over the top, but the misinformation I’m seeing here about Florida is just as bad.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:51 PM

34,070 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
True. Every state has many super facilities, and I say that having been with several medical equipment suppliers, one of whom had significant market share. The improvement nationally the last few decades has been amazing.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
There are many excellent hospitals in South Florida, including Mayo Clinic, Mt. Sinai, Kendall HCA, all of which won national awards for being among the top hospitals nationally. And doctors associated with those hospitals came directly from both New York and the Midwest. In my experience, having lived in both areas, I don’t see any difference. And I will tell you the best hospital in Connecticut nearly ended a family member’s life due to malpractice from gross negligence.

Are these same NY transplants who don’t like Miami public schools sending their kids to NYC public schools? Yes, private schools are bursting at the seams here, but that’s solely because the people moving to south Florida are not working or even middle class. They’re affluent who would be sending their children to private schools anyway.

As for your friend who was hospitalized for salmonella - either her pool wasn’t properly treated or she got salmonella from another source. Iguanas are hardly bothersome to people on a day to day basis - maybe to the ecosystem. And snakes aren’t very common unless you live out by the Everglades.

I agree that the OP’s post can be a bit over the top, but the misinformation I’m seeing here about Florida is just as bad.
My friend wasn't hospitalized for salmonella, it was mentioned on the Iguana Man show that a woman in South Florida got it from her iguana contaminated pool.

If the hospitals in Florida are so great, why is Florida medical care rated only 25th in the nation? My CT. friend moved to Brevard County but kept a condo in CT, when he needed medical care he would go back to CT. to see a "good doctor." His words, not mine.

Anyway, I'm happy in NY, don't like reptiles

Old 09-16-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
My friend wasn't hospitalized for salmonella, it was mentioned on the Iguana Man show that a woman in South Florida got it from her iguana contaminated pool.

If the hospitals in Florida are so great, why is Florida medical care rated only 25th in the nation? My CT. friend moved to Brevard County but kept a condo in CT, when he needed medical care he would go back to CT. to see a "good doctor." His words, not mine.

Anyway, I'm happy in NY, don't like reptiles
You have to compare apples to apples. You’re comparing NYC hospitals to hospitals in a fairly rural county of North Florida. Rural counties in upstate New York have the same issue. Once you get to West Palm/Miami, you’re seeing the same doctors you would up there. And I mean that literally - many doctors practice in both states.

A lot of people have this antiquated school of thought regarding Florida. It’s not your grandmother’s retirement place anymore. Florida ranked #2 for affluent young professionals moving in (Texas was #1, while NY lost the second highest amount).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/great...110000952.html

Anyway, getting off topic but the point is that there are a lot of misconceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut