Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 07:15 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
…. and their hedge fund is moving to Miami Florida ( its a big player) .
That's the most alarming part. Alliance Bernstein went NYC-Nashville, Icahn fled NY for Fl. These funds can locate anywhere, and losing any of them is a huge deal.

Sikorsky I do expect to wither down , slowly, in Ct.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That's the most alarming part. Alliance Bernstein went NYC-Nashville, Icahn fled NY for Fl. These funds can locate anywhere, and losing any of them is a huge deal.

Sikorsky I do expect to wither down , slowly, in Ct.
Sikorskys like Jason Vorhees, you can’t kill him. They just keep coming and coming. Just when you think they’re dead in the water they pull another big contract out of nowhere like the big order for the CH53s.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:33 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
We've had many iterations of this kind of thread yet CT continues to remain resilient. My bet is on CT over FL any day.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:02 PM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
I’ve been a resident of the state for close to 30 years. I’ve met so many good people on the economic development council, volunteering in my community (Greenwich) and just traveling the State….really good hardworking people in this State…...Yesterday I read that Connecticut ranks again almost at the bottom of some economic matrix of states ( companies are moving out jobs are leaving) Then a few days ago I read that frontier communication is moving out. Then I get a call from a hedge fund friend of mine telling me that Sikorsky is going to be slowly closing down its manufacturing because it’s new owners can make more profit out of state…. and their hedge fund is moving to Miami Florida ( its a big player) Three weeks ago I attend a local meeting and listen how Hartford is overriding every town in the States building department to dictate what could be built (citizens be damned) and then this morning I read that the town of Stamford is suing their own citizens because the citizens don’t want pot ( cannabis) to be sold in their neighborhood because of the concern of increased crime (makes sense).. this won’t be my fight anymore as I will be a resident of West Palm for six months and a day and then the rest of the time in Greenwich (2024) .. ps in case you don’t know everyone in the states as of 1/1/24 we’ll see an increase in their homeowners, auto and electric rates as okayed by Hartford..not a big one but one that the industry demanded… I’m not gonna be a fan of the flat terrain of Florida but it will be nice not to have Social Security taxed lol.. and no more dealing with emissions for my cars! Much success for those who stay here.
If you think Florida is the “Promised Land” you seem to think it is, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Others here have given you the many reasons where Florida fails it’s residents. Insurance costs have skyrocketed ALL across the state, not just the coast. It doesn’t matter the reason why, it’s a fact they are astronomically high.

In education, Connecticut ranks third, Florida ranks 14th. They rank 32 in math scores and 22 in reading. That’s not impressive.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cation/prek-12

Then there’s healthcare. According to US News and World Report, Connecticut ranks No. 5 while Florida ranks No. 27. There’s good reason for that.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs/health-care

While It’s true that there are some well respected hospitals, they are few and far between. Florida is a big state. Mayo Clinic is very well respected but it is in Jacksonville. That’s 285 miles or a 4 hour drive from West Palm Beach. That’s hardly convenient or a reasonable drive for most.

Of the 22 top hospitals in the country, none are in Florida. It’s true none are in Connecticut either, but we are under a 2 hour drive from a number of the very top ones in Boston and New York. You can’t say that in Florida.

https://health.usnews.com/health-car...best-hospitals

You mention that Frontier is moving its headquarters out of state but fail to note the companies moving into our state. Phillip Morris, ITT and Digital Currency Group have or are in the process of relocating here. Phillip Morris is a Fortune 500 company while ITT and Digital are Fortune 1000 companies. And you seem to forget that Charter Communications just built a massive new headquarters building in Stamford. They aren’t going anywhere. As the article linked below notes, Connecticut is still No. 2 in per capita in Fortune 500 companies. That’s impressive.

https://businessfacilities.com/conne...k-in-the-show/

The rumors of Sikorsky moving jobs out of state have been going on for decades. It hasn’t happened. Will it? Who knows but it certainly hasn’t happened yet.

You seem to think that Florida is so business friendly and doing well attracting new business but you do not seem to know that Disney, Florida’s largest private employer just canceled its $1 billion investment in the state that would have brought 2,000 well paying jobs there. This stems from Governor DeSantis’s apparent retaliation for Disney CEO comments criticizing Florida’s anti LGBTQIA+ policies. Is that business friendly?

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/18/11769...florida-campus

You also mention Connecticut taxing Social Security but our state exempts the same amount as the federal government and also exempts $75.000 for single filers and $100,000 for married filing jointly. That’s pretty good.

https://ctmirror.org/2023/08/14/ct-p...23-retirement/

Connecticut is not for everyone but neither is Florida. It’s up to you which suits you best. Jay

Old 09-17-2023, 06:17 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you think Florida is the “Promised Land” you seem to think it is, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Others here have given you the many reasons where Florida fails it’s residents. Insurance costs have skyrocketed ALL across the state, not just the coast. It doesn’t matter the reason why, it’s a fact they are astronomically high.

In education, Connecticut ranks third, Florida ranks 14th. They rank 32 in math scores and 22 in reading. That’s not impressive.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...cation/prek-12

Then there’s healthcare. According to US News and World Report, Connecticut ranks No. 5 while Florida ranks No. 27. There’s good reason for that.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs/health-care

While It’s true that there are some well respected hospitals, they are few and far between. Florida is a big state. Mayo Clinic is very well respected but it is in Jacksonville. That’s 285 miles or a 4 hour drive from West Palm Beach. That’s hardly convenient or a reasonable drive for most.

Of the 22 top hospitals in the country, none are in Florida. It’s true none are in Connecticut either, but we are under a 2 hour drive from a number of the very top ones in Boston and New York. You can’t say that in Florida.

https://health.usnews.com/health-car...best-hospitals

You mention that Frontier is moving its headquarters out of state but fail to note the companies moving into our state. Phillip Morris, ITT and Digital Currency Group have or are in the process of relocating here. Phillip Morris is a Fortune 500 company while ITT and Digital are Fortune 1000 companies. And you seem to forget that Charter Communications just built a massive new headquarters building in Stamford. They aren’t going anywhere. As the article linked below notes, Connecticut is still No. 2 in per capita in Fortune 500 companies. That’s impressive.

https://businessfacilities.com/conne...k-in-the-show/

The rumors of Sikorsky moving jobs out of state have been going on for decades. It hasn’t happened. Will it? Who knows but it certainly hasn’t happened yet.

You seem to think that Florida is so business friendly and doing well attracting new business but you do not seem to know that Disney, Florida’s largest private employer just canceled its $1 billion investment in the state that would have brought 2,000 well paying jobs there. This stems from Governor DeSantis’s apparent retaliation for Disney CEO comments criticizing Florida’s anti LGBTQIA+ policies. Is that business friendly?

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/18/11769...florida-campus

You also mention Connecticut taxing Social Security but our state exempts the same amount as the federal government and also exempts $75.000 for single filers and $100,000 for married filing jointly. That’s pretty good.

https://ctmirror.org/2023/08/14/ct-p...23-retirement/

Connecticut is not for everyone but neither is Florida. It’s up to you which suits you best. Jay
..and the high crime rate in most of Florida's big cities hasn't been mentioned here yet. When I lived in Florida years ago I went shopping in the West Palm Beach Mall and there were so many policeman there, I was shocked. After I walked out of the mall a girl and a bunch of cops were behind me, she starts screaming, so I turned around and they nabbed her for shoplifting. Needless to say, I never went back there, don't know if the crime in W. Palm Beach is better or worse now.

Young professionals moving to Florida wouldn't be as concerned with inferior health care like older adults. My retired friend lived in Claremont (near Orlando), got cancer, and had to travel 90 minutes each way to drive to Jacksonville for treatment. His cancer treatment was delayed because he was diagnosed late, his primary care doctor told him you don't get a fever with cancer, but he did! He passed way.

I worked for a major communications company in Florida, all the employees got excellent pay, especially for Florida, but many worked another job so their kids could go to better schools than the public schools in Florida.

The beef between Disney and DeSantis has more to it than what you alluded to, families are rejecting bringing their kids to Disney World to see a male Disney employee dressed like a woman and feel their movies are anti-white male, etc. Once a company goes political on either side of the "woke" issue they lose half of the country as customers. Disney is feeling the boycott at the parks and their poor box office receipts for Indiana Jones 5 and Haunted Mansion and their stock price has gone from $175 per share down to $85 and still sinking, the dividend is non-existent right now and the shareholders are livid. If Disney was smart they would have stayed out of politics and there would be no beef with DeSantis.

Last edited by wp169; 09-17-2023 at 06:31 AM..

Old 09-17-2023, 06:55 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Cannabis? Next there'll be dancing and jazz music!
Those would be dancing bears, likely dead heads

Old 09-17-2023, 07:18 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In case you weren’t aware, South Florida is one of the most LGBT friendly and accepting places in the country - so much that it’s home to a city that has the second highest gay population per capita in the country.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/ft-lau...gbtq?_amp=true

Not much different than Austin vs the rest of Texas (though Dallas and Houston are arguably purple or "center-left"). It would be different if DeSantis weren't trying to push his agenda statewide, regardless of regional differences. I have a cousin who is a native of suburban Miami and loves South Florida and doesn't feel uncomfortable in that region but still moved to Portland, OR last year because of her teen kids (gay son and trans daughter) and she knows others planning to do something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not going to get into a DeSantis debate, but I strongly encourage anyone who hasn’t actually read the bills in their entirety do so. The vast majority of people I speak with regarding these bills are grossly misinformed. That seems to be the case here.
Not really. There's a big difference between the original intent of "Don't Say Gay" (as in don't bring up the topic until 4th grade when it's felt they can understand it, I actually think that's quite reasonable) and where school psychologists and guidance counselors can't work with potentially suicidal gay and/or trans high schoolers because it's made so vague they fear being arrested or losing their license.

6 week abortion laws are a problem too. Yes, it may say that "exceptions for life of mother", but when it's written in a way that doctors are afraid to do "life of mother" abortions fearing imprisonment and it thus risks women's health, that's a problem too. And no exceptions for rape or incest are a non-starter.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:26 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
..and the high crime rate in most of Florida's big cities hasn't been mentioned here yet. When I lived in Florida years ago I went shopping in the West Palm Beach Mall and there were so many policeman there, I was shocked. After I walked out of the mall a girl and a bunch of cops were behind me, she starts screaming, so I turned around and they nabbed her for shoplifting. Needless to say, I never went back there, don't know if the crime in W. Palm Beach is better or worse now.

Young professionals moving to Florida wouldn't be as concerned with inferior health care like older adults. My retired friend lived in Claremont (near Orlando), got cancer, and had to travel 90 minutes each way to drive to Jacksonville for treatment. His cancer treatment was delayed because he was diagnosed late, his primary care doctor told him you don't get a fever with cancer, but he did! He passed way.

I worked for a major communications company in Florida, all the employees got excellent pay, especially for Florida, but many worked another job so their kids could go to better schools than the public schools in Florida.

The beef between Disney and DeSantis has more to it than what you alluded to, families are rejecting bringing their kids to Disney World to see a male Disney employee dressed like a woman and feel their movies are anti-white male, etc. Once a company goes political on either side of the "woke" issue they lose half of the country as customers. Disney is feeling the boycott at the parks and their poor box office receipts for Indiana Jones 5 and Haunted Mansion and their stock price has gone from $175 per share down to $85 and still sinking, the dividend is non-existent right now and the shareholders are livid. If Disney was smart they would have stayed out of politics and there would be no beef with DeSantis.
High crime rate? Actually, Miami has bucked the national crime trend and crime has actually statistically lowered. Again, this is where it’s important to look at stats over whatever shoplifting experience you had at a West Palm Beach mall.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:01 AM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Regarding the "high crime rates in Florida's large cities," that may or may not be true. However, CT's "big cities" with perhaps the only exception being Stamford aren't known for being relatively quiet. Stuff happens all the time in places like Bridgeport or New Haven and others that constantly maje it to the news. Shoplifting is not limited to Florida. Many times the criminals live in the same city or in nearby municipalities where they commit their crimes, but others live in places like The Bronx and "take a trip" and do their thing somewhere off an exit of I-95 in CT.

Doesn't mean most people from The Bronx are trouble makers.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:15 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Crime Index - 100 score is safest

Miami - 1 - Safer than 1% of U.S. cities
Orlando - 4
Tampa - 4
W Palm Beach - 4
Melbourne - 6
Jacksonville - 8
St. Augustine - 7

BTW, the high crime rate in Miami was mentioned during the last Republican debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut