Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 05:45 AM

53 posts, read 56,799 times

Advertisements

I’ve been a resident of the state for close to 30 years. I’ve met so many good people on the economic development council, volunteering in my community (Greenwich) and just traveling the State….really good hardworking people in this State…...Yesterday I read that Connecticut ranks again almost at the bottom of some economic matrix of states ( companies are moving out jobs are leaving) Then a few days ago I read that frontier communication is moving out. Then I get a call from a hedge fund friend of mine telling me that Sikorsky is going to be slowly closing down its manufacturing because it’s new owners can make more profit out of state…. and their hedge fund is moving to Miami Florida ( its a big player) Three weeks ago I attend a local meeting and listen how Hartford is overriding every town in the States building department to dictate what could be built (citizens be damned) and then this morning I read that the town of Stamford is suing their own citizens because the citizens don’t want pot ( cannabis) to be sold in their neighborhood because of the concern of increased crime (makes sense).. this won’t be my fight anymore as I will be a resident of West Palm for six months and a day and then the rest of the time in Greenwich (2024) .. ps in case you don’t know everyone in the states as of 1/1/24 we’ll see an increase in their homeowners, auto and electric rates as okayed by Hartford..not a big one but one that the industry demanded… I’m not gonna be a fan of the flat terrain of Florida but it will be nice not to have Social Security taxed lol.. and no more dealing with emissions for my cars! Much success for those who stay here.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:26 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
I’ve been a resident of the state for close to 30 years. I’ve met so many good people on the economic development council, volunteering in my community (Greenwich) and just traveling the State….really good hardworking people in this State…...Yesterday I read that Connecticut ranks again almost at the bottom of some economic matrix of states ( companies are moving out jobs are leaving) Then a few days ago I read that frontier communication is moving out. Then I get a call from a hedge fund friend of mine telling me that Sikorsky is going to be slowly closing down its manufacturing because it’s new owners can make more profit out of state…. and their hedge fund is moving to Miami Florida ( its a big player) Three weeks ago I attend a local meeting and listen how Hartford is overriding every town in the States building department to dictate what could be built (citizens be damned) and then this morning I read that the town of Stamford is suing their own citizens because the citizens don’t want pot ( cannabis) to be sold in their neighborhood because of the concern of increased crime (makes sense).. this won’t be my fight anymore as I will be a resident of West Palm for six months and a day and then the rest of the time in Greenwich (2024) .. ps in case you don’t know everyone in the states as of 1/1/24 we’ll see an increase in their homeowners, auto and electric rates as okayed by Hartford..not a big one but one that the industry demanded… I’m not gonna be a fan of the flat terrain of Florida but it will be nice not to have Social Security taxed lol.. and no more dealing with emissions for my cars! Much success for those who stay here.
I just posted this in another thread. How is this possible if our state is so bad as you are saying? People may be moving out but there must be wealthier people moving in.............am I not correct? A few years ago CT wealth as low as #5 I seem to remember. How did our wealth MOVE UP to #1?

The Republicans always cite Florida and Texas but they always fail to tell you that many people in the state of Florida 1) are paying $10,000 for homeowners insurance or higher near the coastline and 2) they can't get homeowners insurance because all the insurers are leaving the state because of all the hurricanes.
https://www.pnj.com/story/money/2023...st/70411045007

Americans flocked to Florida for low taxes and sunshine, but an under-the-radar cost of homeownership keeps rising: insurance
https://www.businessinsider.com/pers...-rising-2023-7
Just saying.

Per Capita Income by State 2022
1 Connecticut............84,972
19 Florida.................63,597
23 Texas..................61,985
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I have a cape cod house in Trumbull (Fairfield County) and my homeowners insurance is $1200 a year.
Just saying.

Last edited by Yac; 09-20-2023 at 02:23 AM..

Old 09-16-2023, 07:46 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
I read that the town of Stamford is suing their own citizens because the citizens don’t want pot ( cannabis) to be sold in their neighborhood because of the concern of increased crime (makes sense)..
Have you been to Manhattan lately? This may calm down due to the cooler weather, but I went to Manhattan a few times this summer and every single time arriving at Midtown the place smells like one giant joint. It's as if as soon cannibis was made legal, NYC as a whole is getting high on pot.

I doubt Stamford would reach that level where walking in the streets is annoying because of the pot smell, but downtown and surrounding area does have a higher population density and as of late, the city has seen a boom of smoke shops (what is that about?). Let's not find out if making cannibis sale legal will make at least downtown smell like Midtown Manhattan.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:50 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,182,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Have you been to Manhattan lately? This may calm down due to the cooler weather, but I went to Manhattan a few times this summer and every single time arriving at Midtown the place smells like one giant joint. It's as if as soon cannibis was made legal, NYC as a whole is getting high on pot.

I doubt Stamford would reach that level where walking in the streets is annoying because of the pot smell, but downtown and surrounding area does have a higher population density and as of late, the city has seen a boom of smoke shops (what is that about?). Let's not find out if making cannibis sale legal will make at least downtown smell like Midtown Manhattan.
Cannabis? Next there'll be dancing and jazz music!

Old 09-16-2023, 08:04 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
We relocated from Connecticut to Palm Beach, so we’ll be neighbors for 6 months. Granted Palm Beach County is a very wealthy area, but home prices dwarf much of even Fairfield County. It’s also important to realize that property taxes and homeowners insurance will be far higher than you ever experienced in Greenwich. It’s a great area to live, but you pay dearly for it. Times have changed.

CTartist is mostly right regarding insurance rates, but the reason isn’t solely hurricanes - a lot of the issue is contractor fraud.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:17 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
.. ps in case you don’t know everyone in the states as of 1/1/24 we’ll see an increase in their homeowners, auto and electric rates as okayed by Hartford.
As compared to FL insurance rates now? Lol guy, jokes on you. I got a quote for 1400/month (month! not year) insurance for a possible FL intercoastal property. Don't say its cheaper inland, inland FL is pointless and a waste of time.

Who hasn't been leaving or rumored to be leaving CT? Anyone who's anyone on City Data knows this, we're experts in the field by now.
Remember when GE left and Faifield prop taxes were going to skyrocket and home values were going to tank. How'd that workout?

Old 09-16-2023, 12:48 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
If you can afford to be a West Palm/Greenwich snowbird and you have hedge fund friends, do you really have much to complain about? Sounds like CT hasn't been so bad to you. Biting the hand that fed you and will still feed you five months and thirty days per year? There's no crying in baseball.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:45 PM

366 posts, read 779,952 times
Hope you’re not LGBTQ. Sounds like you don’t have to worry about the school curriculum (e.g., history, Prager U., etc.) You probably won’t need an abortion. And, yay, no permits needed to purchase or carry guns in Florida! I guess you have a different definition of “messed up” than those of us who prefer the social climate of the nutmeg state.

Old 09-16-2023, 03:19 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
Hope you’re not LGBTQ. Sounds like you don’t have to worry about the school curriculum (e.g., history, Prager U., etc.) You probably won’t need an abortion. And, yay, no permits needed to purchase or carry guns in Florida! I guess you have a different definition of “messed up” than those of us who prefer the social climate of the nutmeg state.
In case you weren’t aware, South Florida is one of the most LGBT friendly and accepting places in the country - so much that it’s home to a city that has the second highest gay population per capita in the country.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/ft-lau...gbtq?_amp=true

Old 09-16-2023, 03:47 PM

366 posts, read 779,952 times
Quote:
In case you weren’t aware, South Florida is one of the most LGBT friendly and accepting places in the country - so much that it’s home to a city that has the second highest gay population per capita in the country.
As far as I know, Desantis is the governor of the entire state, and has signed a number of anti-LGBTQ laws, in spite of the second highest gay population per capita.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/desantis-s...ry?id=99393976
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut