Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:21 PM

13 posts, read 60,565 times

Advertisements

Im moving to New Haven and wondering what airports to fly in/out of. Seems like Tweed is expensive and very limited for direct flights. Hartfor seems to be a good option also. Are any of the New York airports easily accessible by train (or otherwise) from New Haven? Any other options? Thanks!

Brendan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,629 times
You can access the NYC airports via mass transit. Not a bad option of you don't have too much luggage to worry about.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
You can access the NYC airports via mass transit. Not a bad option of you don't have too much luggage to worry about.
Could you be more specific as to which train accesses which airport? Approximate travel time and cost would be appreciated if you have any idea.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones2571 View Post
Could you be more specific as to which train accesses which airport? Approximate travel time and cost would be appreciated if you have any idea.
check out this thread:

www.city-data.com/forum/connecticut/297281-flying-bridgeport-texas.html

Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones2571 View Post
Any other options?
New Haven is a top 20 stop for Amtrak in terms of pax volume, its metro-north line is the most heavily used commuter rail in the country, but it has some of the worst air service for a city of its size in the U.S. It has had brief periods of jet service to Chicago and Cincinnati, but nothing has ever stuck.

Bradley (Hartford's main airport) is probably the most used, but it's on the other side of Hartford, and is a good 50 mile drive. Can also get stuck in traffic on 91 if your fight leaves during morning rush. Newark is easiest to get to by train, and you can actually book the train ride through Continental Air, but the ride takes 2.5 hours from New Haven. LaGuardia is about 75 miles away, and can work out if you take very early or very late flights.

There's a service called Connecticut Limousine that's been around for decades that goes to all the airports from New Haven, Bridgeport, and Norwalk, but it too takes 2 hours+ to reach the NY airports from New Haven.

Lastly, there's been increasing service to Florida at White Plains airport, which borders the CT state line and is right off the Merritt parkway, which means its best for very early or very late flights like LaGuardia.

Bascially, getting to planes from New Haven is a pain anyway you look at it. But if I had to pick, I'd probably just fly out of Bradley and deal with the drive and possibly White Plains when flight times don't force you onto the Merritt during rush hour.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I'd probably just fly out of Bradley and deal with the drive and possibly White Plains when flight times don't force you onto the Merritt during rush hour.
I've heard that it's a bad idea to drive yourself to White Plains due to lack of parking. Check that out before you drive there.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 PM

127 posts, read 521,152 times
White Plains parking is non existant though fares seem to be better than they are at Bradley - at least in my experience. I fly La Guardia b/c there are many many more options than Bradley Airport, however, as noted above, traffic is always a concern when heading anywhere in the NYC metro area. Recently booked a flight to Charlotte and I had about 12 options to choose from at LGA as opposed to Bradley. I do have to say though that Bradley can be very convenient if you get a good flight - cheap parking, less crowded airport, less prone to delays (compared to lga).

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I would look into White Plains or Bradley. They are most convenient but also can be a bit more expensive. White Plains does have some great deals with JetBlue and AirTran, while Bradley also has deals with Southwest.

You also have fairly easy access to NYC airports - JFK, LGA. But they can be a nightmare when it comes to traffic, especially on the Van Wyck. I would not suggest using Metro North to get to JFK simply because it can take a very long time and is a hassle, especially with luggage. You would have to switch trains 3 times and do some walking in Manhattan.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Is there a convenient train to the white plains airport from New Haven area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut