Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM

92 posts, read 455,601 times

Advertisements

I was born in Willimantic but raised in
Vernon (22 mi away).
Windham is getter better every yr!

Here's a couple pics of the Frog Bridge!
How cool is that!
Attached Thumbnails
willimantic pros and cons-frog-thread-downtown-willimantic-ct.jpg   willimantic pros and cons-frogs-thread-spooles.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 AM

179 posts, read 294,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLYS View Post
I was born in Willimantic but raised in
Vernon (22 mi away).
Windham is getter better every yr!

Here's a couple pics of the Frog Bridge!
How cool is that!
Thats an awesome way to go down backroads to Sound View Beach in Old Lyme. When I was at Uconn for the summers we would go down 32 and its an awesome drive, especially on bikes. I love that bridge but I always thought those frogs looked a little too erotic tho lol.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM

182 posts, read 811,079 times
What a Hoot!!
I think I get the spools ( once was a thread mill located there?) but what is the deal with the frogs?
those are GREAT pictures! thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
What a Hoot!!
I think I get the spools ( once was a thread mill located there?) but what is the deal with the frogs?
those are GREAT pictures! thanks

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/br-frog.html

Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,411 times
Willimantic is the "city" section of the town of Windham. Back in the 80's this changed from Willimantic having its own government and mayor to now sharing a government and town first selectman with Windham. Willimantic was always part of Windham from day 1.

Willimantic has higher taxes because of the Willimantic service district. This district has a full-time police and fire department, as well as water and sewer service. Windham relies on water wells, along with volunteer fire departments from Windham Center, South Windham and North Windham. State Police patrol the Windham's.

The town has 4 distinct areas. Willimantic, Windham Center, North Windham, and South Windham but all = the town of Windham.

Main Street has fallen on hard times ever since redevelopment in the 1970's destroyed numerous city blocks downtown. The closing of the thread mill which was once the largest mill in the world also hurt the town more than anything. At one time the mill employed almost 10,000 workers in its hay day. Many immigrants from Canada and Puerto Rico fled to Willimantic to work which also brought on its own problems. There is a rumor that outside San Juan there is still a sign saying work in Willimantic at the thread mill.

The town’s school system is what you make of it. The numbers don't look good but they also don't figure in that half of the students speak English as a second language. The middle school and high school are the best schools in the district. The elementary schools have it the worst, North Windham school is probably the best out of them with Windham Center school second. The high school annually places nationally for DECA and has great athletic programs, most notably the wrestling program which has won numerous state and New England championships and has had the most all-American wrestlers out of any Connecticut school.

Overall the town is trying but I don't think hard enough. You can still go down some streets and see filth and garbage around houses. The blight laws are not enforced well enough. Overall it is a safe town but there is its share of drug problems which the Willimantic police and state police are cracking down on ever since the 60 minutes air time. Give it a few years and hopefully the new redevelopment will help main street and Eastern can be more involved in the downtown community.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:08 PM

182 posts, read 811,079 times
VLYS: Thank-you for the link to the explanation of the frogs.

uconn99: Thanks for an unvarnished look. It sounds like Willi ( is that how one refers to the city?) has great potential, hopefully, some balance between growth and its unique character will be struck. At least they didn't tear down the mill but converted it to some other use. Here in central Fl. its hard to find an older building with character. They just tear them down.

It is interesting that there is a large Spanish speaking population in Ct. In Fl., its a given you hear/see Spanish as much as English around. I always assumed it was Fl. ,California and the border states that had the large Spanish populations.

I also noticed that real estate is alot less expensive in Willi than other parts of Ct. I guess what you refer to, uconn99, is part of the reason why.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:18 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Main Street has fallen on hard times ever since redevelopment in the 1970's destroyed numerous city blocks downtown. The closing of the thread mill which was once the largest mill in the world also hurt the town more than anything. At one time the mill employed almost 10,000 workers in its hay day. Many immigrants from Canada and Puerto Rico fled to Willimantic to work which also brought on its own problems. There is a rumor that outside San Juan there is still a sign saying work in Willimantic at the thread mill.
I don't know if I would go that far. Willimantic does have it's issues but the downtown has really done a good turnaround. I was just there a few weeks ago after a long time and was impressed how much it's come back. The revamped mill is gorgeous! The university is also very very nice since it was redone.

I hope the rest of the "issues" can get ironed out as they have a lot of potential there.

And yes there is definetly an disproportionate number of Puerto Rican citizens there compared to other demographic cultures. I guess the nickname Willirico is well earned.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 AM

What my DH & I noticed is when we go to the Willimantic DMV
or BJ's Wholesale Club the people are NEVER
rude & more patient!
We drive the extra miles from Vernon to Willimantic to avoid
all the obnoxious, impatient people that
live closer to Buckland Hills Mall & West of the River!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,570 times
Wink Wilimantic CT

Hi there, Willimantic Ct got a bad rap many moons a go because it was considered the hub for drug dealing from MA,NY,RI; etc. That has changed over the years even though several years ago Dan Rather made an irresponsible comment about drug abuse. I left in 94 and moved to Denver CO(which was a great experience) but my husband and I moved back 2001 because we missed the coast and family and we were amazed at how far the area had come; I grew up in the Storrs/Mansfield area. Yes, you would be living in the country and be willing to travel approx. 30 to 40 minutes to the larger cities. The ocean is fairly close RI coast is 40+ miles, depending on where you go. Kayaking is getting real big in many of the rural areas of CT and water is everywhere, unlike CO. UCONN & Eastern are to of the closest campus' and yes UCONN has a great Fine Arts department as well as other dept.'s I feel that Willimantic spent many years giving itself a great face lift; in our country it is known to have the largest amount of Victorian homes which are beautiful. If you are adventurous and not afraid to drive living in Eastern CT does have advantages. The Arts are also big there, schools to grow in would be better in the Mansfield/Storrs area(I grew up in that part of town.) Oh yeah and the highway I notice people speaking about...well if you look at road maps it doesn't have 6 lane highways, they aren't quite like I84 etc. but it really isn't necessary due to the country ambiance; if the major highways went through, it would be quite sad due to the higher speeds people would be traveling at, so if you want big city life don't move to Willi. if you want some country with small city; it's fine. I hope this helps anyone who might be interested. Oh yeah; in many cases the pay scale can be a little low, but you can travel to the cities. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You have got to love any city that builds a "Frog Bridge".

The Frog Bridge (Thread City Crossing, SR 661)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut