Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 12:05 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times

Advertisements

Malls provide a lot more than shopping. It will take a lot to get rid of them. STC is a great place to hang out for Stamford city residents, and those close to Stamford. Especially in the winter.

Covid will pass, riots will pass. Life will settle back down to “meat and potatoes” — parents go to work, kids go to school, students go college, people will shop, and go to restaurants. STC is mingled in there with that life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 01:29 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
So what implications does that have for STC(Stamford Town Center) Mall?
I live in Trumbull and our town is now debating the future of our mall. All the malls are doing so bad right now. The owners of the Trumbull mall want to put apartments near the mall and drastically change what the mall is. I am in favor if it keeps the mall viable but some people in Trumbull are up in arms.

I think all of the towns and cities where all these malls are located are having a tough time figuring out what will happen in the future. My First Selectwoman put a moratorium on all the zoning changes at the mall but I don't think that can go on too long.

I think that is also why you are hearing about all these different suggestions about what is going to go where the Stamford mall is. The same speculation is happening in my town.

BTW, I was born and raised in Stamford and have many relatives there so I am interested what happens there.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:42 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
You know: It's amazing: We now have more sources of information at our disposal than at any time in human history, yet at the same time more false information than ever before... What the ?!

I heard and read everything about STC: That it would become a UCONN asset, that it would be repurposed for condos, office space, insert what you heard here: _______! LMAO.

I think we were bettter off forty years ago - with four major broadcast TV networks(counting PBS), and a newspaper thrown on the porch every morning or afternoon.
Well if you have any of that information, please share it. From what I have read about STC, all of the things you suggested were conjecture and rumors. They were not necessarily real.

The facts are that the majority of Stamford Town Center is owned by Taubman Centers Inc. Late last year Taubman put their portion of the mall up sale. Then in February Taubman announced it was to merge with Simon Properties and the mall was taken off the market. In June Simon backed away from the deal citing the Covid-19 crisis and Taubman’s failure to react to it as reason to back out. Taubman is fighting them. There has been no further word about the merger or what will happen to the mall. Until something more is announced the fate of the mall is up in the air. Jay

Old 07-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well if you have any of that information, please share it. From what I have read about STC, all of the things you suggested were conjecture and rumors. They were not necessarily real.

The facts are that the majority of Stamford Town Center is owned by Taubman Centers Inc. Late last year Taubman put their portion of the mall up sale. Then in February Taubman announced it was to merge with Simon Properties and the mall was taken off the market. In June Simon backed away from the deal citing the Covid-19 crisis and Taubman’s failure to react to it as reason to back out. Taubman is fighting them. There has been no further word about the merger or what will happen to the mall. Until something more is announced the fate of the mall is up in the air. Jay
You hear everything on Facebook. That's why I'm leaving. I want to get back to what's real!

Old 07-26-2020, 08:08 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
You hear everything on Facebook. That's why I'm leaving. I want to get back to what's real!
Facebook??? Again rumors and conjecture. Jay

Old 07-29-2020, 07:02 AM

222 posts, read 348,298 times
Default BLT seeks plans for Stamford peninsula once proposed for Bridgewater Associates HQ

STAMFORD — Developer Building and Land Technology announced Tuesday that it would explore new projects for the 14-acre peninsula that it owns in the city’s South End, a site that was controversially proposed several years ago as a headquarters for the world’s largest hedge fund.

As the developer of the mixed-use Harbor Point complex that encompasses 100 acres across the South End, BLT is proposing as much as 1 million square feet of new buildings on the waterfront property. Potential developments could include a life sciences center, a corporate headquarters or a multipurpose hub with medical research buildings, apartments, a hotel and an e-sports arena, according to renderings posted on a website for the project.

BLT is willing to consider a number of scenarios including making an outright sale of the peninsula or retaining ownership and being the sole developer or co-developer of the site, according to Gary Greenspan, executive vice chairman of global brokerage at commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield, which is jointly marketing the peninsula.

We have not made a decision on what we want to do,” Greenspan said in an interview. “Speaking on behalf of BLT, they’re open to any structure that works for any potential tenant coming in… I think Stamford would welcome a good tenant or a good user that would be accretive to the continued growth of Stamford.”

Planning for the new undertaking started last summer, and the coronavirus crisis has not diminished BLT officials’ confidence, according to Greenspan.

Cushman & Wakefield is marketing the property with another commercial real estate firm, Binswanger.

“In our opinion, this is a site that has really very few, if any, equals,” Greenspan said. “It’s a piece of land on the water (in a city) that has been growing insanely over the last five to 10 years. It’s now become a little bit of refuge for companies that are looking to diversify out of one location into others.”

Any new development would complement the surrounding Harbor Point, which encompasses more than 4,000 existing or under-development apartments; more than a dozen restaurants; and a number of office buildings including an approximately 500,000-square-feet complex at 1 Elmcroft Road that stands yards from the peninsula.

BLT’s main offices are based at 1 Elmcroft.

We have been rapidly developing Harbor Point for the last 12 years, transforming the former industrial area into a vibrant live-work-play master planned community and creating a thriving ecosystem for residents and businesses,” BLT Chairman Carl Kuehner said in a statement. “We are excited to see this premier site, the final piece of the puzzle for Harbor Point, come to life.”

Since acquiring the peninsula in 2008, BLT has eyed the land for major development.

But controversy has long overshadowed the land. BLT angered many residents and local officials when it tore down the peninsula’s boatyard in 2011, when it ended its lease with Brewer’s Yacht Haven West. In 2018, it opened the nearby Hinckley boatyard in the city’s Waterside section in a compromise agreement with the city’s Zoning Board.

In 2012, BLT and Bridgewater Associates announced a plan for the hedge fund to relocate its headquarters from Westport to the peninsula. Then-Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s administration pledged to support the project with approximately $115 million in jobs-related incentives.

But the rancor over the boatyard’s demise and other criticisms — a number of Connecticut Republicans, for one, decried the plan as corporate welfare for the world’s largest hedge fund by assets — led to Bridgewater’s decision in 2014 to abandon the project. The firm subsequently used state subsidies to help fund upgrades to its Westport offices.

Today, BLT and other key backers appear undeterred by the contention of the past decade. BLT’s press release for the project included laudatory statements from Gov. Ned Lamont and Stamford Mayor David Martin.

“Connecticut offers a plethora of advantages that corporations — large and small — recognize as beneficial to their bottom line, and we have what it takes to help them achieve their success,” Lamont said in his statement. “Stamford’s desirable geographic location coupled with the revitalization that’s taken place in the South End present boundless economic potential for those organizations who can recognize it.”

Martin cited Harbor Point’s transformation of the South End.

“Many long-term residents of Stamford can remember when the South End was one of the most depressed areas of our city but now it stands out as a shining example of what’s possible in Stamford,” Martin said. “The peninsula at Harbor Point provides many of the benefits of living in a modern city building off of the economic growth in our region."

https://www.ctinsider.com/business/s...photo-19739313

Last edited by Connecticut203; 07-29-2020 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Add Picture

Old 07-29-2020, 07:24 AM

I would love to see the Peninsula be turned into a park, similar to Hoboken's Pier A

Old 07-29-2020, 07:28 AM

59 posts, read 72,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut203 View Post
I would love to see the Peninsula be turned into a park, similar to Hoboken's Pier A
If only. The land is too valuable. And the restaurants need lunch customers. I bet it will be a corporate HQ. Stamford looking good again with the pandemic/chaos in NYC.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:29 AM

Default Downtown Stamford’s former post office welcomes first tenant, Dogtopia

STAMFORD — In the past few years, Scott Jones and Elisa Bannon-Jones have witnessed the influx of people moving to the city center. As the proud owners of two Maltese and a Yorkshire Terrier, the couple have also noticed a corresponding increase in the local canine population.

The trend inspired the downtown Stamford residents to open earlier this month Connecticut’s first franchise in the Dogtopia dog daycare-spa-and-boarding chain.

The approximately 6,000-square-foot establishment, at 421 Atlantic St., comprises the first tenant in a redeveloped building that formerly housed a U.S. post office. The century-old structure also represents a key component of the mixed-use Atlantic Station project, which is anchored by two apartment towers a block from I-95 and the downtown Metro-North Railroad station.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Downtown Development News

More tenants are on the way at 421 Atlantic.

A sign in front of the building advertises a preschool, The Learning Experience, which is scheduled to open in the fall.

At the same time, construction is advancing on the second Atlantic Station apartment building, a 325-unit glass-sheathed structure at 405 Atlantic St. It complements a building of similar appearance and proportions that opened next door about two and a half years ago, at 355 Atlantic St., at the corner of Atlantic Street and Tresser Boulevard.

Leasing for the under-construction building is scheduled to start next spring, with the building likely to be completed by next June, according to officials at New York-based RXR Realty, the project’s owner and co-developer.

On the ground floor of the first Atlantic Station tower, about 16,000 square feet are allocated for retail. No tenants for that space have been signed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut