Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I know people who sleep and cuddle with their dogs all the time. Nobody knows why the chimp suddenly attacked. Everyone has opinions after the fact, but nobody really knows.
Chimps are very primal and territorial animals. In their early years they may appear to be domesticated but when they hit a certain age the primal instincts take over. I do remember seeing this on Dateline or some show like it that chimps look to destroy whatever enters into it's territory by biting, clawing, ripping of limbs, and if it's fighting another male it'll tear it's opponents testicles off. Nobody can blame that officer for blasting that chimp because the officer would have stood NO chance at all because that chimp's at least 5 times stronger than dude. I really hate that Ms.Nash was near death when they found her (nobody should go through that) and I hope that she can make it. I think Nash's family should press charges and there should be a limit on the number of years on how long to keep a chimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Chimps are very primal and territorial animals. In their early years they may appear to be domesticated but when they hit a certain age the primal instincts take over. I do remember seeing this on Dateline or some show like it that chimps look to destroy whatever enters into it's territory by biting, clawing, ripping of limbs, and if it's fighting another male it'll tear it's opponents testicles off. Nobody can blame that officer for blasting that chimp because the officer would have stood NO chance at all because that chimp's at least 5 times stronger than dude. I really hate that Ms.Nash was near death when they found her (nobody should go through that) and I hope that she can make it. I think Nash's family should press charges and there should be a limit on the number of years on how long to keep a chimp.
That Woman appears to have some issues, if she is taken to court, she might plead some kind of insanity defense.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:11 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
That Woman appears to have some issues, if she is taken to court, she might plead some kind of insanity defense.
You're right on the issues thing. I saw her being interviewed and she was talking about how man and chimps are so close that they can receive blood from one another. The owner was talking about feeding the thing steak and lobster, drinking wine, taking baths, and sleeping with it...me personally I think she was banging the darn thing because she was crying like it was her husband and everything. Overall I cringed at the phone call and I hope that people can learn the line between pet and person; it's just a tragic situation.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
According to our local news, (Fox 8, Cleveland) the injured lady was flown into Cleveland Thurs morning, 2/19, on a private jet to be treated at the Cleveland Clinic. The Cleveland Clinic has performed the only successful face transplant so far in the nation.
The news said the lady lost her eyes, nose, and most of her face, among other injuries. I feel so sorry for this person who did nothing to deserve that attack.
I worked with a guy years ago who had a little monkey he kept in a cage but let it out to play and eat, etc.
One day he let it out to feed it and the monkey bit the outside of his right wrist almost all the way through. There was a big U-shaped wound. He was off work for over 10 months and never did regain full function of his right hand in his life.
He had this monkey for years and it had never been aggressive before.
Please folks, if you have, or know someone that does have an exotic or undomesticated animal, be very aware that what may seem ok now could very well turn into tragedy in the future.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
First of all, the owner did not break any laws. As I understand it, even though this monkey was grandfathered in, she took all the necessary steps to be certified for having this animal. Also, I can understand her love and pain having raised this animal for 15 years. I would not want someone telling me that I have to get rid of my dog because "all dogs are dangerous because they bite". While I do agree this is a terrible thing that happened, I do see both sides of the issue. Jay
It is virtually guaranteed that chimps will become more aggressive when they get older. An attack is almost certain at some point.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:56 AM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I know people who sleep and cuddle with their dogs all the time. Nobody knows why the chimp suddenly attacked. Everyone has opinions after the fact, but nobody really knows.
I have three dogs in my bed, they are domestic animals. Comparing apples and oranges doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:15 AM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Maybe beastiality isn't against the law in CT. Gross

Last edited by JayCT; 02-20-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate quote

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Please do not make jokes about this terrible situation. Some people will find it offensive. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Maybe beastiality isn't against the law in CT. Gross
I don't know what you said before Jay edited it, but somehow I knew you'd pop in here with some sort of snide remark.

You and Headedwest live so close to each other, maybe you two should meet for coffee. Hey, misery loves company.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 02-20-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
ok firstly..
comparing a chimp to a dog is like comparing apples to to an open fire! they are a million times different.

chimps are AMAZING animals, but even in zoological situations many keeperes refuse to work with them.
they are HIGHLY inteligent, incredibly strong and when they reach sexual maturity (about the same age humans do) their personalty goes from that cute baby to the equivalent of a bipolar reballious teenager, on steroids with absolutly no personal boundries. they are highly territorial and prone to RANDOM mood swings, with 2-3" canines and the strenght of 7 times that of thier equivalent sized human counterpart.

saying its like your pet dog...WOW, dogs are inteligent and emotionally complex but nowhere neer the kind of complexity of these greater apes. dog bites are almost ALWAYS human error, the way they are raised and trained, the socilization they recive...and people simply not "listening" to the animal...

primates...primates are like humans, sometimes they just have very bad days...but unfortunatly when an ape has a bad day someone is highly likley to be killed!

Chimps are the only greater ape that HUNTS and EATS MEAT in the wild, in their natural enviromnent should a stray member form outside their family group its not uncommonfor the family to literally TEAR the tresspasser to shreds, chimps form hunting parties like humans and will hunt monkies for food and...unlike any other wild species...FOR SPORT...other than humans chips are the only animal currently knwo that will hunt NOT for food but simply to catch and kill something.

primates or any kind but particulalry the greater apes shoudl NEVER be kept as pets!
and those kept in captivity should be treated as the WILD animal they are...no dressing them up and playing house...drinking wine and sleeping in her bed?! for heavens sake there was no lock on his cage (an industrial strenght padlock is required) he let himself in and out and there was no additional security on the front and back doors?!
she was using him as some kind of human companionship replacement, chimps need to be chimps they dont handle that kind of change in their nature well, it often drives them to the point of insanity!

Such a shame.
the owner of this animal was an idiot quite simply for even calling her friend over, she KNEW the chimp was upset, it was already acting up, he was already in a bad mood and obviously upset and instead of caging him with a padlock and letting him just relax on his own...and once SECRUELY put away, calling a chimp experienced vet or zoo professional...

that poor woman had no buisness being there, chimp knowing her or not.
such a shame, she will have nightmares for the rest of her life, thats if she lives...and is lucky enough to not end up in an institution...

such a horrible and unnessicary situation.
as a zoo keeper, these wild exotics need to be left in the while or their care in captivity left up to PROFESSIONALS in a zoological situation, these are NOT pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut