Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM

174 posts, read 640,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I know you all are going to disagree with me, but why the hell did the cops have to shoot him? Why couldn't he be tazed, since it seems like cops love to use those. The fact that they opened fire on the animal (who was done with his initial attack on the woman) puts a bad taste in my mouth in regards to the first responders. Officers are supposed to use their weapon as a last resort.

That's what these animals do - especially since the chimp was going through "puberty". Shoot the owner, not the animal.

The news reports said that the chimp actually opened the door of the police car and was going to attack the officer; I imagine that the officer's gun was more accessible than a taser, and the taser may or may not have worked in such a situation (ever seen cops use a taser on someone high on PCP? doesn't do anything )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post
The news reports said that the chimp actually opened the door of the police car and was going to attack the officer; I imagine that the officer's gun was more accessible than a taser, and the taser may or may not have worked in such a situation (ever seen cops use a taser on someone high on PCP? doesn't do anything )
They had video of the "assault" on the police cruiser. No officer was in the car.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,907,992 times
I think sometimes officers enjoy pulling out their guns a little too much. Some of the stories I've heard from people, but I won't repeat them to protect identities....but they include shooting baby skunks right in front of the homeowner because they might be dangerous.

I think the cops might have been a little too eager to shoot the chimp. They just aren't trained to handle wild animals, or wild animals that are "pets". Remember last year the the moose that were killed in Fairfield County? The one in Easton was just wandering near the golf course in Fairfield. Wasn't another moose was shot in or near Danbury---all in the name of "protecting" citizens. The police have to protect themselves from lawsuits too, I suppose. It wouldn't look good if they were easy on a wild animal, and that animal in turned harmed a citizen. But really, I think it just comes down to lack of training, and funds for the training. In a perfect world, police officers would be carrying something like tranquilizer guns in their cars and be trained for dealing with such situations. But I guess that is the animal lover in me, and wishful thinking.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I think sometimes officers enjoy pulling out their guns a little too much. Some of the stories I've heard from people, but I won't repeat them to protect identities....but they include shooting baby skunks right in front of the homeowner because they might be dangerous.

I think the cops might have been a little too eager to shoot the chimp. They just aren't trained to handle wild animals, or wild animals that are "pets". Remember last year the the moose that were killed in Fairfield County? The one in Easton was just wandering near the golf course in Fairfield. Wasn't another moose was shot in or near Danbury---all in the name of "protecting" citizens. The police have to protect themselves from lawsuits too, I suppose. It wouldn't look good if they were easy on a wild animal, and that animal in turned harmed a citizen. But really, I think it just comes down to lack of training, and funds for the training. In a perfect world, police officers would be carrying something like tranquilizer guns in their cars and be trained for dealing with such situations. But I guess that is the animal lover in me, and wishful thinking.
I feel the same way. Officers do put their lives on the line during every shift, but there was no need to murder the chimp. This country is too gun happy.

The owner should've never been allowed to have a chimp as a pet.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:46 PM

174 posts, read 640,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post

You do realize that the OWNER of the chimp actually STABBED it multiple times trying to get it off the woman? I think it's fair to say that it was a kill or be killed situation; even if they had tranquilized it, what happens then? There is no way that animal would have been able to safely live anywhere (zoo, sanctuary, etc) after that. It would have been euthanized either way.

IMO, the police were right to shoot in this situation.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,907,992 times
I hadn't realized the owner had been stabbing the chimp. I do understand how the chimp, the size of a man, must have been wildly out of control and a danger to all. So yes, in this case maybe it was necessary to shoot and kill it. But overall, in my experience I've found police officers to be under-trained in handling wild animals. And often-times, they are unwilling to wait for trained wildlife handlers to arrive and effectively handle the situation.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,015,810 times
MURDER the chimp? Oh come on. The lady he attacked may not SURVIVE...it was that bad.
"He bit both of her hands off and the cop told me he just kept eating her. It's terrible," said Lynne Mecca, a friend of the victim.

Stamford police later shot the chimp multiple times after he attacked an officer inside a police cruiser, Conklin said.
http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts/orangutan.attack.stamford.2.936381.html (broken link)

I'm sorry, but right between the eyes is where it belonged.

The sad part is, yes the chimp should have never been domesticated but it was and that's what happens. The person you should be mad at is the owner, not the cop.

They have to do the same for bears and such when they start threatening humanity too much. (Even though sometimes the humans action cause the bears to be attracted) It's sad, but it's reality.

I feel bad, but it was an animal in the end and I do believe in putting the safety of HUMANS above animals...hard as it may be sometimes.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,925,104 times
Quote:
I feel the same way. Officers do put their lives on the line during every shift, but there was no need to murder the chimp. This country is too gun happy.

The owner should've never been allowed to have a chimp as a pet.

You dont really quantify that as murder? The thing was out of control and needed to be put down. Can you imagine if it had gotten hold of a kid... The strength of these things is not trivial, they are 7-10 times stronger than a normal man. Chimps can rip your leg off and beat you with it, literally. I'm not trying to be funny here, cause I am an animal lover and the thought of the poor thing getting shot sickens me as well, but it had to be done I'm afraid.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,873,801 times
Quote:
I know you all are going to disagree with me, but why the hell did the cops have to shoot him? Why couldn't he be tazed,
Not all of us. This was the same discussion that i had with a group of colleagues at the office in Stamford today. Most of us don't live in Stamford, we live in Fairfield, Norwalk, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford, Trumbull, Danbury, etc. Many of us are familiar(not that familiar, though) with city cops and town cops. And our overwhelming opinion of Stamford cops has always been that they're(as a whole) the most arrogant, nastiest, and most cowardly in FFC. We like to joke about how long they would last if they were transferred to a few other cities in this state. State police and Stamford police are the only departments that we would avoid having contact with unless absolutely necessary. I'm not trying to cop-bash though. Stratford is a great department, Milford seems professional. Bridgeport, i honestly don't know how they do it. I think i'd strangle half of the people that they deal with on a daily basis, lol.

Special Bonus Pop Quiz: What town has the largest # of Stamford police officers residing in it? It is a town in FFC(and i tend to avoid this town).

Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,744 times
I think u guys should put more trust in these cops. I've I were a cop, I would not hesitate to shoot an animal if he was threatening me. Personally, if I was a cop, I wouldn't trust a taser.

But then again, I havent been to lower fairfield county since 2007. I normally dont stop there, so idk how snotty they are? What do they do? do they have tough guy syndrome? Stamford is overratedly peaceful, but I think that its cuz soo many ppl who have good jobs live there. They probably give themselves alot of credit because its so peaceful. It would be a bigger challenge to have a safe city in any of the other city with +100,000 in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut