U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-02-2012, 04:26 PM
 
5,233 posts, read 3,811,483 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It just started snowing (flurries) at the NHL Winter Classic in Philly so maybe our "snowless streak" (albeit it's probably not going to stick, at least in southern CT) may be ending.....
Heck of an area of snow..the Carolina mountains are being affected....large swath albeit harmless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Republic of New England
633 posts, read 541,985 times
Reputation: 160
for some reason those track of snows trying to avoid Connecticut looool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
 
Location: CT - close to coast
24,541 posts, read 13,016,400 times
Reputation: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Heck of an area of snow..the Carolina mountains are being affected....large swath albeit harmless.
Watching a squall that survive to Rockland County NY. Lets see if it survives to Fairfield County.

Did you see the PA webcams? Whiteout conditions under a heavy squall band. These bands are so narrow that one town sees whiteout and the next nothing. It's like hit or miss with these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: CT - close to coast
24,541 posts, read 13,016,400 times
Reputation: 4059
From Upton. Real feel Temps for tomorrow 1pm and then 15hrs after at 4am.
NOAA Graphical Forecast for New York, NY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 4,534,212 times
Reputation: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Well, (again, using Central Park because I have records for it), so far there's 1345 heating degree days and the normal at this point is 1736. Since the normal for the season is about 4800, we can take ((4800/1736)*1345) and see that if it continued at exactly the same pace (which it probably won't), we'd end with about 3700-3800 degree days, which would break the 2001-02 record of 3887.
Speaking of heating degree days...you guys might find this interesting. I have this old map from college. It shows HDD based on 1931- 1960 data. It was a big map, so zoomed in only on our part of the mainland. The Tri-State areas seems to be in the middle ground 5000 to around 6500....to the north the Upper Midwest (ND, MI,...etc) and deep New England average 9000 to 10,000...while down in the coastal subtropics from coastal Texas to South Carolina averages less than 2000:


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 PM
 
5,233 posts, read 3,811,483 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Watching a squall that survive to Rockland County NY. Lets see if it survives to Fairfield County.

Did you see the PA webcams? Whiteout conditions under a heavy squall band. These bands are so narrow that one town sees whiteout and the next nothing. It's like hit or miss with these.
Very active upper low ..no doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,204 posts, read 20,751,342 times
Reputation: 7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Speaking of heating degree days...you guys might find this interesting. I have this old map from college. It shows HDD based on 1931- 1960 data. It was a big map, so zoomed in only on our part of the mainland. The Tri-State areas seems to be in the middle ground 5000 to around 6500....to the north the Upper Midwest (ND, MI,...etc) and deep New England average 9000 to 10,000...while down in the coastal subtropics from coastal Texas to South Carolina averages less than 2000:

I like this map quite a bit. Do you have one for the entire US during this time period and what have the shifts been in mean HDD days since then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
308 posts, read 344,464 times
Reputation: 188
Major changes are on the way for the pattern and I think many snow lovers are going to enjoy this change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 AM
 
Location: CT - close to coast
24,541 posts, read 13,016,400 times
Reputation: 4059
Can anyone confirm anything reaching the ground? It would help better understand radar returns.

Current radar(7:30am) looking like its snowing in Trumbull about to cross the Merrit. There is a tiny spot of 35bdz(purple) which means it should be snowing hard for a minute or so. The rest of the light blues probably not reaching the ground.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 AM
 
Location: CT - close to coast
24,541 posts, read 13,016,400 times
Reputation: 4059
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I like this map quite a bit. Do you have one for the entire US during this time period and what have the shifts been in mean HDD days since then?
I agree, cool map. Funny how the western tip of Long Island/NYC is in the 4000-5000 range but surrounding them is 5k-6k. lol Urban heat?

Most of CT and MA is similar to Western NY and Southern Michigan? And Im surprised Vermont (especially Northern) doesnt have more heating degree days.

Edit: I found this but its to 1990. Click top of picture to zoom in. Looks more accurate with northern tip Vermont in 9000 range. http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/document...p3/clim81.html

Last edited by Cambium; 01-03-2012 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top