Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times

Advertisements

Pollen problems are a real issue in both Connecticut and North Carolina. East coast locations deal with both local blooming in the spring and everything that blows from west to east.

Areas like even Tucson AZ have allergy problems. Perhaps the best places in the USA for allergies are right along the west coast, where the Pacific ocean 'cleanse' the air.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-12-2007 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Pollen here in NC is so much worse than in CT. I never noticed it until I moved down here.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Hi-First post here.
Lived in Westchester/Fairfield until 4 years ago, then here in Cary.
I prefer the weather in NC for a few reasons.
First of all, the long seasons are Spring and Fall. Winter comes and goes in 6-8 weeks, and daytime highs in January are either side of 50 degrees. Sweatshirt weather.
Is it hot in the summer? YEAH. But-
My NC house has central AC, where my 70 year old house in Fairfield, CT had window units which forced us to only use part of the house. I can walk to our neighborhood pool which is open from mid-May to mid-September. In CT it was either swim in LI Sound or join an expensive club.
Pollen is worse, but oddly my allergies are far less severe here.
The weather was a huge reason we left CT. I have shoveled snow for the last time.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 AM

God, I miss the snow and the gorgeous Fall and Summer weather. Someday I will be back!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 PM

76 posts, read 265,262 times
Default Bye Bye Snowblower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Hi-First post here.
Lived in Westchester/Fairfield until 4 years ago, then here in Cary.
I prefer the weather in NC for a few reasons.
First of all, the long seasons are Spring and Fall. Winter comes and goes in 6-8 weeks, and daytime highs in January are either side of 50 degrees. Sweatshirt weather.
Is it hot in the summer? YEAH. But-
My NC house has central AC, where my 70 year old house in Fairfield, CT had window units which forced us to only use part of the house. I can walk to our neighborhood pool which is open from mid-May to mid-September. In CT it was either swim in LI Sound or join an expensive club.
Pollen is worse, but oddly my allergies are far less severe here.
The weather was a huge reason we left CT. I have shoveled snow for the last time.
I am with you there! I have just sold my snowblower and we will be miving to Holly Springs NC in a couple of weeks. Anyone who says they miss getting up at 5AM to blow out the driveway, skid their way down the road to sit in traffic for an hour with people who ALSO were up freezing in the driveway way too early -- probably is full of it.
You are also right about the Air Conditioning. If this were 1940, NC summers would be brutal. But in 2007 we have central air, right?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:23 AM

I must have missed where they installed central air outside. I don't sit around my house all day long but in the summertime here I am forced to. I think we got fewer than 10 snowstorms when I lived in CT last. WOW. Never had a problem with it. I grew up skiing and playing hockey and would love to have my kids do the same. I have always enjoyed the winter and the four seasons up there.

Oh btw, you will be sitting in traffic for an hour here to get anywhere regardless of the weather.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
I have to say...after reading several posts about snow in Connecticut I must be missing something. I have lived here for 25 years, and the snow must miss my house (lol)

Here along the Connecticut coast winter is basicly a breeze. We get like 5 snowstorms a year with maybe 4 to 7 inches of snow in each of them. According to the NWS Bridgeport averages 24.5 inches a snow the WHOLE SEASON. Here in Branford, I use a broom to move snow more than a shovel. Maybe its different in northern Connecticut - but snow in southern Connecticut is a joke.

My sister in law from Cleveland (60 inches a snow a season) used to joke - people in southern Connecticut have no winter! There a alot of reasons to move out of Connecticut, but I don't think snow is one of them.

Now snow hype in Connecticut - well, that's another story

Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 PM

76 posts, read 265,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I must have missed where they installed central air outside. I don't sit around my house all day long but in the summertime here I am forced to. I think we got fewer than 10 snowstorms when I lived in CT last. WOW. Never had a problem with it. I grew up skiing and playing hockey and would love to have my kids do the same. I have always enjoyed the winter and the four seasons up there.

Oh btw, you will be sitting in traffic for an hour here to get anywhere regardless of the weather.
There is no central HEAT outside up north either. And wintertime in CT you see no one outside either. Everyone hibernates. I am sorry that you are so unhappy where you are and hope you can move back north ASAP. You can have it my friend.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:24 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
New homes in Connecticut are surprisingly affordable- depending on where you choose to live. As many others have pointed out here who live or have lived in NC- they have brought to our attention issues of 'true square footage' plus 'quality control problems' and other life style factors in which they found NC to be inferior.

What planet do you live on sky? Fairfield county is the most overpriced place in this country for housing. In addition there is tons of traffic, cold winter, high taxes...you can have it.....

Old 06-17-2007, 01:58 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
What planet do you live on sky? Fairfield county is the most overpriced place in this country for housing. In addition there is tons of traffic, cold winter, high taxes...you can have it.....
You specified one part of Connecticut- Fairfield county

I think your post is biased and not realistic. The rest of Connecticut is bot priced like Fairfield county- but ah you failed to mention that- a very convenient exclusion on your part- which again shows your bias.

Tons of Traffic- well yes on I 95 west into NYC- the greatest city on the planet-not a bad location to be close to- at least from a geographers viewpoint.
As for the climate- well it is milder in NC- no dispute with that- but climate change is making Connecticut milder- and making the move south less a necessity in years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut