Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:49 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both areas? I know its hot in summer and cold in Connecticut in winter but which area has the better weather year round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
I lived in CT almost my entire life, now I've been in NC (Fayetteville, headed to Charlotte end of the month) since August 06. To answer your question, I guess it depends on how much the heat bothers you. I really don't like being HOT, and it's HOT here in NC, been in the 80s and 90s for over a month, with a few cooler days in there. Christmas Eve day we took a walk at the park and were wearing shorts and tshirts, and were hot....but it does get cold here, had a big late freeze on Easter, killed a lot of plants people had planted early. Though I don't like hot, I still prefer the weather here, everything is airconditioned, the schools for the kids (though not the busses), stores etc. I don't miss the snow at all, yet anyhow. And when we get to Charlotte if I miss snow we'll be close enough to the mountains to go see some
overall the weather in the Piedmont area of NC (middle section, not coast or mountains) is more mild, not as cold in winter overall, though it does get below freezing sometimes and can snow.
Just my preferences.....this week the forcast here is for the upper 80s to the 90s every day, avg sunny days in Fayetteville is 217 (charlotte is 214, Bridgeport CT is 175... Moderator cut: link removed )

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 03:56 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 10:58 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Connecticut has a humid continental climate; that is moderated by the Atlantic ocean, which lies to the south and east. Humid continental climates have warm to hot summers, and cold winters.

North Carolina has a humid sub tropical climate- for the most part- areas to the west with highland areas are micro climates that offer colder winter temperatures and somewhat less hot temperatures in the summer.
Humid subtropical climates have long hot humid summers, with relatively mild winters.

With global warming/climate change- there is 'zone creep'- which means that NC in the years to come will have a climate that is warmer and increasingly tropical to sub tropical similar to areas further to the south, while CT will have a climate that is warmer with more sub tropical characteristics.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
I love to be outdoors. So for me, NC was simply TOO HOT for TOO LONG. I'm not built for playing volleyball in 90* temps. Some are. Not me.

I prefer the balance of seasons here in CT, as each season brings it's activities for me and when I find myself getting sick of one, the next is right around the corner for a change.

If you want to bounce from an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned office, back to the car and then air conditioned house or air conditioned store you'll be fine in NC. If you like to garden, run, play golf, or do any outdoor activity - for me, it was too hot to be enjoyable.

Did I mention NC is HOT? lol

P.S. I actually found my allergies were worse in FL and NC due to the fact that you had to live in an air conditioned world and most systems are not properly kept and actually make the air quality worse than the outdoors with regard to mold and dust etc.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
NC gets much more hot but I have found that the humidity in CT was worse than here in Raleigh. But then again, we have not had much in the way of rain as of late here. Drought conditions almost. And JViello is right, it gets jungle hot here at times. We will be in the mid to upper 90s for the next few days. Last year we had 30+ days in a row of over 90.

I find the weather to be much better in New England. You have 4 distinct seasons and it isn't as bland up there.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
NC gets much more hot but I have found that the humidity in CT was worse than here in Raleigh. But then again, we have not had much in the way of rain as of late here. Drought conditions almost. And JViello is right, it gets jungle hot here at times. We will be in the mid to upper 90s for the next few days. Last year we had 30+ days in a row of over 90.

I find the weather to be much better in New England. You have 4 distinct seasons and it isn't as bland up there.
Did mention how hot it gets in NC?

You got my wheels turning and the other factor I forgot about is the sun is MUCH stronger so when you are out of the shade, regardless of the airtemp, it really "feels" much hotter due to the radiant heat.

That was a lot of my problem. After a day of playing hard with the sun beating down, I would have a (body) salt crusted collar and shirt sleeves by the end of the day and a pounding headache with weak knees - sometimes it would turn into heat stroke with a red flushed face which would cause me to sleep for 14 hours straight. Not good.

I like to cycle (Road race) and did it ONCE in NC during the Summer months, never again...I'm just not built for that kind of weather. I think I was an Alaskan Husky in a former life. lol

Old 06-08-2007, 05:17 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,138 times
Keep in mind that in Ct, especially the NW mountans, your heat will be ON to some extent from anytime in October right into early May. NOT frigid weather, dont misunderstand me, but chily enuff to jam the windows down and crank the heat or a quick fire in the fireplace. The "fantastic" weather window is brief, a few weeks in May bring near perfect days, and the first few weeks of september can be teriffic.
My friends in most NC regions say their transition periods between hot and cold are much longer-great weather from March thru May, and late Sept right into November.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
Keep in mind that in Ct, especially the NW mountans, your heat will be ON to some extent from anytime in October right into early May. NOT frigid weather, dont misunderstand me, but chily enuff to jam the windows down and crank the heat or a quick fire in the fireplace. The "fantastic" weather window is brief, a few weeks in May bring near perfect days, and the first few weeks of september can be teriffic.
My friends in most NC regions say their transition periods between hot and cold are much longer-great weather from March thru May, and late Sept right into November.
What about air conditioning costs? I would say the number of cooling days needed in NC would far outnumber those needed in CT.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Sorry JK I screwed up on your post- sorry-I hit the wrong key- things are different here as a moderator- lots of 'hot keys' please repost your reply to me again again I am sorry.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:27 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times
Connecticut's unofficial weather motto is: "If you don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change."
And it does....often!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut