Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else has a Directv HD DVR? If so, are you having any issues? Ours shuts down repeatedly and gives an error code that it cannot read the access card.

I've had Directv for years with no problems. We just got our new system installed Saturday and have had to reboot multiple times each day since.

After numerous calls to Directv, they have finally decided to send out a new access card (in 3-5 days). And the card costs $20 (which I could either get credited back or receive 3 months of a premium channel for free).

I'm so annoyed, I just had to vent. I have always loved Directv - and have always had nothing but praise for their customer service. Am I having an isolated problem? Or is anyone else experiencing these issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
I copied your post into an email to my son who's a supervisor for DirecTV.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 AM

My son says:

Sounds like their IRD is bad. The issue with the access card not reading every so often hints that the reader is failing- they need servicing, not a new card mailed out. If they have the protection plan, then they won't be charged for the call or the HD DVR.

HTH

Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 PM

84 posts, read 1,104,006 times
Default Maybe this will help

Try plugging in another IRD, (receiver or box) into the same area, and see if that receiver shows the same problem,

The Dvr, needs two wires to operate properly, but can and will operate on just one wire, take the DVR to a different room, and see if it acts up, if the DVR runs ok in another room, then the unit is fine, and now you need to check the ends of the cables coming in from the switch and or dish

I have installed Satellite/Cable/Phone in Chicago for eleven years, I specialize in service calls, and DVR's, (I love it when stuff breaks I'm that good)

If you have an old receiver in the house, that is not being used, and still has its card, you can use that card, and call Direct TV, and tell them you would like to marrry a new card to the receiver, Customer Service wont tell you about that, mainly because they lose money or because the process of doing that is difficult for both you and them, I do this procedure in my sleep, its not that hard

If you can afford the protection plan, I would go for It, I still get paid but you dont have to pay the full price, its a win win

Didya know most Satellite/Cable guys are paid by the job, not by the hour, so when they show up for a service call, they get little money, and want to get out of there ASAP

Feel free to private message me, at any time, I enjoy the challenge

Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquettePark View Post
I specialize in service calls, and DVR's, (I love it when stuff breaks I'm that good)

You sound like my son lol

Old 08-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Just wanted to update... it still does it occasionally. Today it just shut down and restarted by itself. Grrr...

When I first posted this, the unit was about a week old. The new access card seemed to have taken care of the problem, but now it's starting up again. I'm thinking of s-canning the HD receiver. It's a lease anyway, since you can no longer buy receivers like before.

So, I'll be contacting Directv to figure out how to switch my plan back to normal definition and enjoy my real Tivo unit that is in my bedroom right now. The RCA Tivo that I bought 4 years ago is so much better than this generic leased POS.

Thanks for the tips, but I think it's irritated me one too many times over the last 7 months.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM

So, a little update... again. we no longer have the problem where it's not reading the card. Now it either reboots spontaneously or loses its signal and doesn't respond to the remote, at which point we have to reboot it manually.

It has done this every single night for a week or so now. I actually received a couple recorded messages from Directv acknowledging the problem and apologizing for the inconvenience. It wouldn't even bother me so much if it didn't take 15 minutes to reboot.

We upgraded our TV so, it would really be a shame to go back to standard def. Does anyone know if there are better receivers out there? I was under the impression that you had to lease a receiver from Directv now, but I recently saw some for sale at Best Buy. Unfortunately, they're the same crappy hunk of junk I'm doing battle with now.

I'm very bummed about this... I used to be so happy with my Directv service. Never had a problem, and their customer service was outstanding. Now, I get recorded messages that offer no resolution or if I call there, I'm told simply to reboot my system.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 24,272 times
Unhappy A Real Mess

You are not alone. We exchanged our old DVR with DirecTV in order to get more HD channels (or so they say). Within a week, the box kept shutting down and rebooting, taking 15 minutes to get back on line. After many calls, DirecTV decided to send a new box. I'm now doubting it is truly new. When we tried to boot it up, we could only get past the screen which identifies the dish type and then nothing. Reboot and same deal. Then they said it was a defective access card. A new one arrived and same deal. After each try and failure, we had to go back to our initial HD DVR and tell direct TV to authorize the old card. Finally we have a technician coming out on the 26th. It is really beyond belief. I'll post the next round later. As a coincidence, a friend from Denver stopped by last night and she saw the two HD DVRs and immediately said oh, DirecTV is terrible now isn't it. She said she has exchanged her DVR 10 times and says she has the ten controllers to prove it. Even if it is a bit of a stretch, I'm believing it! Anyway, DirecTV really pulled the wool over my eyes because each rep I spoke to appeared completely baffled by the rebooting.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 34,768 times
I have had huge problems with the Directv dvr's. They are very finicky and don't like abrupt power outtages; they break easily then. After 2 receivers that refused to read the satellite signals after my power went out, I am finished with the dvr's. Trying to get the old regular receiver reactivated has been a pain; DTv refuses to "marry the current card with an old receiver" and the original card "cannot be activated for some reason". Of course, they are only too willing to sell me a new card. I also learned that nowadays ALL Directv equipment is considered to be "leased". I am truly truly tired of them. My advice: do NOT waste your money on the divo's. Get a standard receiver...one with a brand name is the best bet and buy yourself a programmable dvr. BTW, they sent me a replacement for the first; their shipping and return was a HUGE fiasco (I won't go into that here). HUMBUG

Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
Our Directv HD DVR just shut down several months ago. I couldn't get it to work at all, even after talking to a Directv tech. A new receiver was sent, and I'm having problems with it being much slower than the first one we had. There is a delay of several seconds with any of the functions, whether it's changing channels or programming it to record. I may ask for a new receiver, especially since the currrent one has a "refurbished" sticker on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics