Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I’m not sure why anyone would want to bring water on board but what’s the “good reason” for not allowing passengers to bring it on the ship?
NCL charges an arm and a leg for bottled water, many for some reason prefer bottled water, that said the cup of water you can get from any bartender free is perfectly fine to drink. Also been told people would smuggle the white alcohols, Vodka, Rum onto the ship in water bottles, not sure if it is true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
NCL charges an arm and a leg for bottled water, many for some reason prefer bottled water, that said the cup of water you can get from any bartender free is perfectly fine to drink. Also been told people would smuggle the white alcohols, Vodka, Rum onto the ship in water bottles, not sure if it is true or not.
Smuggling is very much true. You can get tips on YouTube.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Can't wait to get on the cruise and check out NCL for myself. The countdown is on Nov 25th we leave for 15 days.

I did have a question though. On Carnival they let you bring a 12 pack per person of soda. My DH has to have his diet dr. pepper, and 1 bottles of wine per person. I forgot to ask when I called NCL if you can do that or if they have other rules. Also is their hair dryers in the cabins?
can't wait to hear what you thought.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
of course there are those who smuggle and get away with it and yes, most lines are charging a fortune for bottled water; some not as much an NCL but all charge too much. That being said, go ahead and do your smggling; I hope everyone who does break the rules gets caught. You are right, bring one extra, empty bottle on board and just get it filled by the bar tender. There is not much difference between bottled water many of us drink and what comes out of a water faucet.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hope everyone who does break the rules gets caught.

Those dirty dogs. Let's get every one of them!

Other people smuggling booze onboard really affects my cruise enjoyment. I don't really know they're doing it but I know they are so it can put a damper on my fun. I bet drink prices would be 1/4 what they are now if there weren't smugglers.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:39 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Well after sailing with Carnival for 10+ cruises, we wanted to give another cruise line a shot. We were platinum members on carnival and what do you get. I free 32 ounce bottle of water...whoop ti doo!.
You couldn't be more wrong. In addition to the bottle of water(1 per person if both are Platinum, BTW, you get priority embarkation, priority boarding of tenders where they are used to go ashore in ports, free laundry service, the number of bags depending on the length of the cruise(5 each PP for 12 days or more), a free logo gift, and more. https://www.carnival.com/vifp/overvi...fp_footer_0414

And to LuvsCrusin, who keeps touting the old Party party party atmosphere on Carnival, he/she must have only gone on 3-5 day cruises on Carnival. Those are the types of cruises that have the party animals. Most people cannot party like that for more than a short cruise. Yeah, there are a few people like that, who are willing to shell out over $50/day for the drink card that limits you to 15 drinks per day, and if one person in the cabin gets the card everybody has to. That description of a Carnival cruise has gone out of style for many years now, at least for anybody that would know, because they have been on board.

The food in the Carnival MDR is not gourmet, but you have many choices of entree to choose from and you can try a lot of things you wouldn't find and is generally done much better than a lot of good restaurants I've been in on land.

Carnival has some very good children's activities that will keep them busy, and out of the quieter areas of the ship. They also have adult only areas on the ship with their own pools and bar service.

My recommendation is to try Carnival for yourself rather than listen to people who obviously don't like them for their own reasons.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 12-09-2018 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
of course there are those who smuggle and get away with it and yes, most lines are charging a fortune for bottled water; some not as much an NCL but all charge too much. That being said, go ahead and do your smggling; I hope everyone who does break the rules gets caught. You are right, bring one extra, empty bottle on board and just get it filled by the bar tender. There is not much difference between bottled water many of us drink and what comes out of a water faucet.
Next time you go on a cruise, whatever the line, take a long a conductivity tester and test the tap water vs the bottled water. I did on my last cruise. Tap was 92 ppm(mineral content). Distilled water was zero ppm, and the bottled water they deliver to the room was also zero ppm. The tester does not tell you what the mineral content is in the tap water, but some people have described the effect of drinking the tap water is swelling in the body. Considering the tap water is derived from sea water, you can guess what is in it that would cause you to swell up.

They use a reverse osmosis system on the ships, but that is no guarantee that it is clear of minerals.

The bottled water we repurchased and had delivered to the cabin was under $4 for a dozen 12oz bottles on the Carnival Pride.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Just know that when you get on Cruise Critic, most of the people are on there to complain. The usefulness of that site is very limited. Everyone's expectations are different. Random reviews by strangers have very little utility when you get down too it. Even something like the food is subjective because everyone's expectations and taste buds are different.
Not only that, but Cruise Critics web site is slow and buggy. More people find FB roll call sites to be more informative. cruise line/ship/sailing date search in FB should find the roll call for your cruise.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
this is one way to bring your own water on board...

https://www.amazon.com/Concealable-R...49545393&psc=1

Old 12-23-2018, 03:10 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
We cruise on NCL in February and are vey excited! We were able to pick two inclusions so we took the premium drink package and a credit towards excursions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises