Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Who in their right mind would think this is funny or a good idea? And the two main stars of the movie - what a surprise they would be casted for this. /sarcasm
The same people who watch movies like Dumb & Dumber.

Now with all the controversy, I'd like to see the film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So you believe in censorship, when it might offend someone?
When did I say anything about censorship? But as I said in another post, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. That has nothing to do with censorship.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:39 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Kim Jong Il: Now you see, the changing of the worrd is inevitabre!
Lisa: I'm sorry, it's what?
Kim Jong Il: Inevit, inevitabre.
Lisa: One more time.
Kim Jong Il: [shouts] Inevitabre! Things are inevitabrey going to change! Goddammit, open your f***ing ears!

Pretty accurate..

Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Pretty much.

Pretty much.

Pretty much. Just look what happened in Aurora, CO (oh wait, that was just a misunderstood genius with a mental problem, not a thug)

Please, stop with this. When I first saw a preview for this, I thought it had to be the dumbest movie plot I have ever seen in my life.

Who in their right mind would think this is funny or a good idea? And the two main stars of the movie - what a surprise they would be casted for this. /sarcasm
That's fine if you don't like this movie, or CHOOSE not to see it. That's freedom.

But to think it's ok to cancel a movie because it's objectionable to someone is not ok. That's censorship.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm all about freedom. But just because you CAN do something doesn't always mean you SHOULD.
So you think it's ok to cancel something, in spite of there being NO direct threat to the theaters or moviegoers? Just because someone "might" do something?

Actually, you feel a little more at home in N Korea, since you seem to support the thought police.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
A knee-jerk interpretation reaction that we been "beaten" w/ out regard to how this plays out in the long run is too typical of the state of much of the thought processes we see today in our nation.
As for example remember how several months ago how the pundits & politicos were fawning over the power & mastery of putin over the U.S? Well, time has a way of sorting things out & sometimes instant analysis isn't particularly helpful or forward thinking.
Oh, and yes, my small letter spelling of putin is deliberate.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:00 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
So you think it's ok to cancel something, in spite of there being NO direct threat to the theaters or moviegoers? Just because someone "might" do something?

Actually, you feel a little more at home in N Korea, since you seem to support the thought police.
Jesus. It's not about thought police. It's about making the right decisions in the first place. Making the movie was an inappropriate decision.

I do think it's okay for Sony and the producers to make the decision to cancel their own movie. No one made them do it. It was their own decision.

Keep in mind, Sony is a Japanese corporation. Looked at a map lately? I think Japan would have had more to worry about than the US. Sony made the decision they thought was best. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
There actually was a movie recently that showed Bush being assassinated. I believe it won awards instead of outrage.
Exactly. And someone else mentioned that the movie would be stupid. The probability that it would be stupid is immaterial to whether it should be released or not. There have been some horrendously bad films released that we so could have done without, IMO (Battlefield Earth, the newer Solaris, and Dumb and Dumber come to mind). Would I have chosen for them not to be released, if it were up to me? Absolutely not.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:06 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
That's fine if you don't like this movie, or CHOOSE not to see it. That's freedom.

But to think it's ok to cancel a movie because it's objectionable to someone is not ok. That's censorship.
Actually, you are wrong. Sony owns the movie and it is their choice to not release the movie. Censorship would be if the government told them that they could not release the movie which isn't the case.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,790,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
Funny how many people could care less care more today.

Remember this date since this was the day the American world power like a bully got punched in the face and just whimpered away. Just like a bully, other nations (with their hackers or terrorist) who observe this have now officially lost their fear of America and now see it's weak point... all that's needed to take down this world power is the threat of violence. North Korea would have never thought about this in the past but the champ is fading the world knows it. Expect way more similar threats towards or in the US.

Regardless what side of the fence you stand this set precedent where now ANY movie or tv show other nations, let alone Americans who object to almost anything since that seems to be the new norm in america, will now control what you chose for your entertainment. And here all these conspiracy theorist thought it was just our government.

If I was Sony I would have ate the cost and just released FREE online instead, although it's still possible they will release it after Christmas. That would have been more effective to not have theater liability while sticking it more to them.
Well considering that Sony is a Japanese company I think they are the ones that got punched. It's quite possible that if this was an American movie studio that had to make the decision there would be a different outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events