Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Yes they pulled it off. But what if it were shown? How many people would take their loved one to see it with all the nuts around today??
That would be my concern. I'm not worried about North Korea doing anything, I'm worried about the nutjobs here in the states that would do something stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Technically, they beat the Japanese.
I don't get why people deflect to this in many different threads and on facebook groups I am a part of. Is Sony itself based in Japan, yes. Is their CEO Japanese, yes. HOWEVER they threatened Americans through the cyber terrorist attacks and real life terrorist attacks. Sony employees have tons of data out there on the dark corners of the internet. Whether we want to say that the company is from a foreign country is a moot point because AMERICANS in workers for the company, workers for their supply chain and customers were threatened.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Cowardice. Theater owners assumed the American public are so sheltered they wouldn't go to the movies on Christmas Day out of fear of "terrorists" setting off a bomb in Des Moines. Basically any vague internet threat can disrupt our way of life these days.
more people die from bee stings ever year than terrorist attacks!

Old 12-19-2014, 12:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
If the Koreans really want to stop the world from laughing at their King, executing his barber would be more effective than any cyber terrorism attack.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Default So basically North Korea just beat us

They actually saved us from yet another crappy, stupid-ass potty-humor movie.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:57 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Which one is not a free speech issue?

Because I couldn't remember Thomas Hobbes' name. Is it a stretch to compare Leviathan with "The Interview".. From a classical literature standpoint, of course it is.. From a free speech standpoint.. Not so much.

What has happened here is that threats of violence caused Sony to pull the movie.. While it was a crappy movie.. And everyone defends the rights of Sony to pull the movie(Which I do agree with).. Would you be just as permissive of it if MLK had decided not to march on Washington because he was threatened with violence? Would we be better off if he had made that decision?

I think everyone should be standing up and outraged at this.. Not because a crappy movie that none of us were likely to see was squashed.. But because people threatening violence can now be empowered to know that maybe they can stop the next movie they don't like.. Maybe they can stop the next MLK.. Maybe they can change government policy.. All just by threatening violence.

God, help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Obama has bowed down to many world leaders who no longer believe the US is strong nation. This latest fiasco, bowing down to the North Koreans, who along with China (IMO) hacked into Sony, and being collared into giving spies back to Cuba, one known to murder an American, is an embarrassment to me as an American. The entire administration, including both parties, has turned us into a despotic country.
I'm surprised it took this long to blame Obama. I'm kind of disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If the Koreans really want to stop the world from laughing at their King, executing his barber would be more effective than any cyber terrorism attack.
LOL, you're on fire today.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'm surprised it took this long to blame Obama. I'm kind of disappointed.
The funny thing is Obama actually criticized Sony a lot more than I thought he would have for not letting the movie get shown.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Obama has bowed down to many world leaders who no longer believe the US is strong nation. This latest fiasco, bowing down to the North Koreans, who along with China (IMO) hacked into Sony, and being collared into giving spies back to Cuba, one known to murder an American, is an embarrassment to me as an American. The entire administration, including both parties, has turned us into a despotic country.
OK, so you blame obama for not making some sort of instant hostile response? Or do you think a more terrifying, bullying America in general would have made the NKoreans too frightened to do something like this?

What is your suggestion (all of you) for what should/should have been done about this, other than blame Obama? I mean a real plan of action, not just finger-wagging. Invade NKorea? Hack their 5 internet computers in return?

I don't think anything short of a nuclear holocaust could stop that demented little troll from doing what he wants (or perhaps if someone could assassinate him .... heh). But for various reasons I don't believe plastering NKorea with nukes would be a good idea.

What then?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
North Korea might be able to claim they 'beat us'
at or about the same time, they have the ability to feed their own people.

N..... please.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
LMAO!!!
Be very careful Fat Freddy,,,,,they can hear you. lol You might get a bad haircut from a secret agent next time you go to the hair salon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events