Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not that anyone in North Korea has the technology to receive it.

That's been the goal for at least 20 years that I know of--the agencies with that expressed mission have been in open existence that long. But I don't know how close they are to being able to do such things at the drop of a hat.

The bad thing about North Korea is that it's a whole nation like Battlestar Galactica...not enough dependence on IT to seriously harm that way.
Maybe they do, maybe they don't.
Remember than South Korea's technology is right up there with the best in the world, and both Koreas probably have the best spies on the planet for spying on each other.
N. Korea could have lured some savvy S. Korean cubicle workers up north, to lead a life of much more wealth and privilege than they could ever hope for in Seoul.

The North koreans have been messing around with the Japanese internet for some time now, but this hack showed they were good enough to bust into American firewalls. The average worker might not ever have the technology we all enjoy, but that sure doesn't mean their rulers, Generals, and their top echelon techies don't. All the money in a nation that goes only to the top is still a hell of a lot of money, and Jun Ul was educated in Switzerland. He never spent much time in N. Korea until he was an adult and fetched during his father's health began to deteriorate. The kid knows a lot about the west and it's ways, far more than his daddy and grand-daddy ever knew, and he knows what will sting us and what won't.

And so does his little sister. She's next in line if Jun Un's liver blows up on him.

I am coming to think that the next serious war won't be fought with bullets. It will be fought with money and credit. This may have been the shot across our bow. Economic safety and stability in this tightly connected world can no longer be taken for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
N. Korea could have lured some savvy S. Korean cubicle workers up north, to lead a life of much more wealth and privilege than they could ever hope for in Seoul.
No, that didn't happen. Kidnapped them, maybe. "Lured," no, didn't happen. Unless one is at the very top of North Korean society--a top Communist official--he won't be anywhere near the living quality of a good IT guy in Seoul. One room of splendor doesn't come close to the difference between Seoul and Pyongyang--and tech-savvy South Korean Millennials love their Internet connectedness as much as American Millennial do.

Quote:
The North koreans have been messing around with the Japanese internet for some time now, but this hack showed they were good enough to bust into American firewalls. The average worker might not ever have the technology we all enjoy, but that sure doesn't mean their rulers, Generals, and their top echelon techies don't. All the money in a nation that goes only to the top is still a hell of a lot of money, and Jun Ul was educated in Switzerland. He never spent much time in N. Korea until he was an adult and fetched during his father's health began to deteriorate. The kid knows a lot about the west and it's ways, far more than his daddy and grand-daddy ever knew, and he knows what will sting us and what won't.

And so does his little sister. She's next in line if Jun Un's liver blows up on him.
You're talking about a few senior people watching streaming movies while the rest of their society uses hardwired phone systems and nothing electrical at home except...well, most often nothing. I'm talking about the difference between a society which computer-controlled transportation, communications, electrical grid--an economy that will fall apart if the computers stop working.

If the DPRK goes dark for a few days--most of them won't notice, as this night satellite image shows.

Quote:
I am coming to think that the next serious war won't be fought with bullets. It will be fought with money and credit. This may have been the shot across our bow. Economic safety and stability in this tightly connected world can no longer be taken for granted.
That's true enough, for countries that depend on trade and economics based on digital wealth.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Think I'm gonna have to pop in Team America: World Police tonight...

America - F--k yeah!!
Such a ronery movie.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:04 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,398 times
no, we beat ourselfs. terrorists are only as powerful as we make them out to be.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
no, we beat ourselfs. terrorists are only as powerful as we make them out to be.
We gave the terrorist power? We get attacked on 09/11/01 in a way that can only be described as an act of war. The hacktivists released data and for the most part it was harmless except for the personal data getting released (credit card numbers, health records, social security numbers, etc.) There wasn't anything really bad until they invoked the fear and images another 09/11/01. I don't know about you but I grew up on Long Island and regularly went upstate as a kid. I went upstate the weekend before 9/11 and the weekend (and saw it in the distance from the T-Neck bridge) after the travel ban was lifted about an entire week after. That weekend, there was STILL soot and debris coming up into the air and polluting it. The skyline looked like it was filtered in death smoke.

Now I don't know about you but most people probably crapped their pants when they heard that threat even if it is a veiled threat. Over 72 hours ago, I had the same logic that we shouldn't let them control us but now as time has gone on, I am thinking more level headed and sadly Sony and the theaters who canceled the showings before the Sony pull, they did things right. They thought of people's safety even if they weren't planning on seeing the movie over profits from those who wanted to see the movie.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Coming from someone who writes about internet security topics frequently...

You're way behind. The Russian mob and other cyber criminals launch hack attacks on our banks and other financial targets constantly. Most don't make it in because banks have been dealing with this type of thing for decades. Why do you think hackers have moved to targeting the comparatively less experienced and less secure retail industry?

It's impossible to completely protect a large computer network with many points of entry, but to say nothing much has been done is completely false. And don't read too much about the Sony hack into attacks on government targets. Sony's IT department is apparently staffed by a bunch of idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
They apparently stored thousands of unencrypted passwords in Excel spreadsheets located in a folder named "Password." I'd say they're just idiots either way.

Sony's Top-Secret Password Lists Have Names like Master_Password_Sheet

New Sony Pictures Leak Contains Passwords In Plain Text
Thanks, good information.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:47 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Don't worry, the Hustler spoof begins filming next month.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:04 AM

229 posts, read 337,616 times
Thought popped in my mind after taking time to think about this. While it is entirely possible, maybe even likely, this was North Korea there is the slight possibility it could have been a third party.

This isn't some hack (no pun intended) conspiracy theory but based on previous events. The US has not been above accusing other countries of acts of aggression only to find out either they were responsible or the excuse for war was based on lies (WMD anyone?).

While North Korea's calling for a joint probe into this could very well be a way to cover their butts so they are not exposed as the woefully powerless petulant child they are it would not be so shocking some third party or hacker group used that movie to stir up tensions just for the hell of it or the US using this to rally other nations against North Korea which it's already doing with China, Japan, South Korea, Russia, etc.

Just saying... american's have been here before and rushed to judgement with egg on our face, after thinking about it more I think I will reserve my judgement until later.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
Thought popped in my mind after taking time to think about this. While it is entirely possible, maybe even likely, this was North Korea there is the slight possibility it could have been a third party...

...Just saying... american's have been here before and rushed to judgement with egg on our face, after thinking about it more I think I will reserve my judgement until later.

North Korea has now denied that they have had any involvement, proof that they did it.

north-korea-denying-sony-attack-proposes-joint-investigation-with-us

from North Korean Official Denier Park Mai Ka;

"nooooo, we didn't do nothin'...but that Seth Rogen, he sure crack me up!"

Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Sony probably pulled it, not because they are scared of bombings, but getting sued into submission by victims families for NOT pulling the picture due to the threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events