Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
OK, so you blame obama for not making some sort of instant hostile response? Or do you think a more terrifying, bullying America in general would have made the NKoreans too frightened to do something like this?

What is your suggestion (all of you) for what should/should have been done about this, other than blame Obama? I mean a real plan of action, not just finger-wagging. Invade NKorea? Hack their 5 internet computers in return?

I don't think anything short of a nuclear holocaust could stop that demented little troll from doing what he wants (or perhaps if someone could assassinate him .... heh). But for various reasons I don't believe plastering NKorea with nukes would be a good idea.

What then?
It's not like this won't increase and get worse. What should we do about a country that just effected our economy in the name of a threat? So far we've just said, uh, ok.

We have to look at what this means, not what it effected at the moment, but what it will effect down the road.

Our president should have a stern warning for anybody that threatens our people. Even if we go down, at least we go down fighting. What's the difference in how we handled 911? Terrorism is economically threatening, and can have deadly consequences here. We rely on our jobs here, and I don't want my freedom to make money directed by the dear leader anytime soon.

I'm sure behind the scenes there is chatter in the the big White House, there is no way there's not. We will see what conspires down the pike. I have a feeling this isn't over just yet.

Indeed on a side note : I have a hard time believing that a leader that tortures and starves people daily would have a problem with a movie about taking over a country. It sort of pales in comparison don't you think? Ours is fake, his, REAL!! Really killing, starving, and beating live human beings. It's a joke to think anybody is worried about us offending anyone over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's not like this won't increase and get worse. What should we do about a country that just effected our economy in the name of a threat? So far we've just said, uh, ok.

We have to look at what this means, not what it effected at the moment, but what it will effect down the road.

Our president should have a stern warning for anybody that threatens our people. Even if we go down, at least we go down fighting. What's the difference in how we handled 911? Terrorism is economically threatening, and can have deadly consequences here. We rely on our jobs here, and I don't want my freedom to make money directed by the dear leader anytime soon.

I'm sure behind the scenes there is chatter in the the big White House, there is no way there's not. We will see what conspires down the pike. I have a feeling this isn't over just yet.

Indeed on a side note : I have a hard time believing that a leader that tortures and starves people daily would have a problem with a movie about taking over a country. It sort of pales in comparison don't you think? Ours is fake, his, REAL!! Really killing, starving, and beating live human beings. It's a joke to think anybody is worried about us offending anyone over there.
Sony is a Japanese corporation. It hurt them more than it hurt the US...people will just go see another movie this month.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:28 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Sony is a Japanese corporation. It hurt them more than it hurt the US...people will just go see another movie this month.
The threats of violence where to American movie theaters. Making money is a way of life, we don't "eat" any other way.

Even the thought of someone else's leader controlling a tiny portion of our or any of our allies way to earn a living is a serious threat, IMO.
Obama Says Sony Should Not Have Pulled Film Over Threats : The Two-Way : NPR

Seems Obama agrees.

Last edited by PoppySead; 12-19-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
They threatened American theaters into submission
No. They threatened a motion picture studio into submission by using a threat to the theaters. There is a big difference.
Sony was N. Korea's target, and they meant to do Sony as much damage as possible. Never forget that American movie companies all make much more money with their pictures abroad as they do here.

They were out to teach Sony it doesn't pay to kick a hornet's nest. The same lesson applies to all the American studios, and to other studios in other nations as well.

The thing is: No one makes Kim Jun Un the butt of a comedy. The North Korean government wants to present itself to the world as being a big strong country that won't be bullied. They already blame every power outage and every food shortage on the U.S. anyway, so in their view, this is their blow against the Great Satan.

With this national mindset, it's OK to portray Jun Un as a powerful villain, but not a weak blundering idiot who is easy to assassinate.

They did go a step too far, though, when they made vague threats against theaters here, and they have not heard the last of it from us yet. The U.S. has plenty of ways to retaliate, and we will, in some way, sooner or later.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:04 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Sony new movies will come with the disclaimer.......

"Approved by North Korea" or rated KF for "Korea Friendly"

Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The US government should use a US Navy ship to broadcast that movie off the North Korean coast. Blast it out over the air waves so every Korean can watch it, north or south. Run that movie 24/7, make sure that is all they watch in North Korea for the next year.
Not that anyone in North Korea has the technology to receive it.

Quote:
Also we should launch a strike against the infrastructure in North Korea from which this attack came from. As far as I am concerned its an act of war, they used a cyber attack to cripple a company then threatened violence on American people visiting the theater to see the movie.
That's been the goal for at least 20 years that I know of--the agencies with that expressed mission have been in open existence that long. But I don't know how close they are to being able to do such things at the drop of a hat.

The bad thing about North Korea is that it's a whole nation like Battlestar Galactica...not enough dependence on IT to seriously harm that way.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:23 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Sony's US president said repeatedly and flatly in an interview that the decision to pull the "December 25 release" was totally upon theater distributors, not Sony. He emphasized that Sony fully intended to get the movie released and that the only thing definitely scuttled is the December 25 release date. He complained that they were having no takers from any of their normal distribution partners right now.

At one point, he said "...if/when we release the movie," then he corrected, "...I mean when we release..."

Naturally, right now they're looking for a way to distribute profitably rather than punching the eject lever and just releasing it free into the Internet, but the interviewer did not ask if that might be a last ditch act of defiance.

When asked why Sony didn't talk to the President before stopping release, he repeated that losing the "December 25" release date was not a Sony decision, but that it just didn't occur to them that they needed to discuss that factor with the President of the United States.

When questioned about the failure of their security, he defended himself saying that the FBI agreed "90 percent" of corporations would have been breached by the level of attack. However, most of that 90 percent of corporations are tiny operations that don't pose nearly the target that Sony poses....so that figure doesn't really say much for them.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
OK, so you blame obama for not making some sort of instant hostile response? Or do you think a more terrifying, bullying America in general would have made the NKoreans too frightened to do something like this?

What is your suggestion (all of you) for what should/should have been done about this, other than blame Obama? I mean a real plan of action, not just finger-wagging. Invade NKorea? Hack their 5 internet computers in return?

I don't think anything short of a nuclear holocaust could stop that demented little troll from doing what he wants (or perhaps if someone could assassinate him .... heh). But for various reasons I don't believe plastering NKorea with nukes would be a good idea.

What then?
The nuclear strike option is only To be used if NKorea looks to that level. I don't think we need to lay down but we can't afford to just call for an air strike, invasion or nuke to the capital. We can levy sanctions and cyber attack them back.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
I don't think retribution is the answer. I think the call to action here is the wake-up call about hacking potentiality. Granted, Sony Pictures USA or whatever they're known as appear to be flippantly incompetent when it comes to the IT. My company has been facing threats of this nature ten times before breakfast every day since the 90s. We recently paid big money to bring in a former head of cyber-security at Lockheed. We spend as much money as many firms bring in as revenue on electronic defense measures. We have to.

Your money is safe. Relatively. But there is essentially no such thing as a "secure network" when any of the networked machines are internet-connected.

But how many other companies (probably those not in any way connected to the financial industry) are as vulnerable as Sony Movies America or whatever? Probably a whole whole lot. This is a call to action.

The impact of this has been magnified a dozen or a hundred times by circumstances. If this came from top brass in DPRK (which I'm not convinced it did), or even if it didn't, this was a mere shot across the bow, not a Pearl Harbor. Please stop with the ideas about how we should return fire.

Don't forget that 2014 brought the revelation that the United States wiretaps heads of state in other countries. Try to see some other perspectives.

I think this will fade. And it should. But we should learn from it. We live in a world dominated by technology, and a lot of us, even those of us who should be close to that technology, don't understand the vulnerabilities that brings.

Frankly I wish the President had not opined on the decision to pull the movie, etc. I wish he had merely stated facts about the need for vigilance and security in the IT world and left it at that.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
was not Sony it was the media made the movie theaters cringe in fear- they did not want the liability OH - but there is no pay for the govt cyber attack units come FEB - no new hire nothing but crucial spending allowed as they are under a CR. so what you people want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events