Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You voted for Obama and change, right?

Where do you get off with the $800,000 aircraft routine???
I think they got off right after someone making a lame-ass attempt at politicizing this incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
‘Tough little girl,’ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved. .
You do realize, don't you, how ridiculous the bolded is when applied to a child? She didn't choose the circumstances into which she was born.

This is mean-spirited and kinda dumb. She's 7. Get off her back, everybody.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I couldn't get the OP's link to work but here are a couple of other ones. I would like him to note that this family lived in a small rural Illinois town of 3000 people where the dad owned a furniture store inherited from his father. This hardly sounds like the lap of luxury.

The OP was so upset that this family had been to Florida. There were kids on that plane. Maybe they had been on a trip to Disney World. The OP asks "How many kids get to take a lavish vacation to Florida?" Lavish? Many families go to Florida this time of year. There are lots of discounts to be had. Some families save all year to go on winter vacations.

Many people own small planes, it doesn't make them wealthy. The father had been a pilot for years. His plane was nine years old according to one of the reports. I knew a man who had his own plane and he was not at all wealthy. He simply purchased his plane as one would a car, by making payments until it was paid off. He learned to fly in the Air Force. He also had a commercial pilot's license and charged people for short trips. That helped pay for his plane.

Does the OP and his black hearted friend know what is in the deceased father's bank account? Does he know how much money this family has? Does he really think any amount of inheritance will ever bring solace to this little girl who has lost her entire family? Not everything has a price tag on it. The values of some people who post on the Internet these days just leave me shaking my head. There are no words.

This family just sounds like a comfortable middle class family like many others of it's kind that met with a terrible fate.

Police: Girl, 7, survives Ky. plane crash; police ID 4 dead

7-year-old survives plane crash that kills 4 in Kentucky - CNN.com

They said the father taught his children survival skills. This poor little girl saw her family and cousin die a horrible death. She had the composure to light a torch from the burning plane bleeding from cuts all over her body and a broken wrist. She was wearing shorts and a thin shirt and no shoes and had walked through the woods about three quarters of a mile over tough terrain until she found a house where she asked for safety. The man who answered the door stated the first thing she said was her family was dead.

I wish the best for this child and hope the painful days to come will get better as quickly as possible. The news report says she is with other family members who are asking for privacy and peace while she heals mentally and physically.

Last edited by Minervah; 01-03-2015 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
It appears the little girl's family ran a furniture store.

Girl, 7, Who Walked Away from Plane Crash Had Survival Skills: Family - NBC News

"Sailor's father, Marty Gutzler, had been flying since he was 16, logging about 4,000 hours, and taught as a flight instructor, family said. He had made that same trip from Florida to Illinois 'many, many times,' a family friend told NBC News.

The family owned Gutzler's Furniture, which Marty Gutzler's father opened more than 50 years ago in their hometown of Nashville, Illinois. Troy Dunbar, a 15-year employee and family friend, said the accident was a 'big time" loss for the area. 'This family is very embedded in the community,' Dunbar said."

I have no words for the OP. Just speechless.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
You jealous of someone's situation? Maybe you need to work on yours. I grew out of OPs mindset when I was 14-15, thankfully!

Would not trade with that little girl for all the money in the world.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:26 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Strong little one will go far in life. I wish her the best in these troubling times.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
When I was 16, one of my friends got a brand new Mustang gt for their first car. I got a cobbled togather decade old police car. I never had much growing up. Low income parents plus a divorce and all that. Always wore my shoes ragged until they got replaced, family vacations were trips to visit family, movie theater visits and the like we're rare as money allowed. Sent off at age 13 to live with my grandparents.

So ya see, that kid getting a brand new Mustang gt just wasn't fair. We both got good grades and neither of us caused problems with the law. I deserved it just as much as he did. But I didn't have it. It wasn't fair and it was wrong that he should have and I should not.

I remember thinking the above in my room at my grandparents house staring into the deep pile carpet. Just laying on my bed staring into it, letting my eyes drift out of focus, lamenting how "bad off" I was.

But then something snapped on in my mind. I wondered...what if I were him? Would I have handed the keys back and refused that car because my friends didn't have comparable? Hell no! I told myself. Would my parents have given me more if they had it? I thought so. But my parents didn't go to college nor did they work to get into higher paying careers. So they didn't.

So what did I do with this revelation?

I applied myself. I did for myself what my parents could not. I worked hard and studied hard. I got a career. At age 25 I took delivery of the first new car I'd ever had in my family. A brand new corvette z06. Exactly how I wanted it. Noone had to buy it for me. I sacked up and did it myself---because you are the only one truly responsible for your failures or successes.

So, OP, hate all you want. But understand that in the end, the only one being butthurt is you, and you are the one with the power to change that. (Leroy never gave a damn that I was jealous of his mustang gt, just an fyi).

Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
The OP's coldness and immaturity astounds me.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:24 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
‘Tough little girl,’ 7, survives plane crash that killed her family, braves harsh terrain

Tragedy strikes as a 7-yr-old loses family members in a devastating aircraft failure. At this point, many of us want to feel badly, and I truly want to, but it's difficult when understanding the circumstances behind this case. We have a 7 year old who came back on a private plan that is worth $800,000+ from Florida. How many other kids her age even get to ride a passenger plane to Florida and take these lavish vacations over their New Year's break? Probably very, very few. It's possible her parents have large life insurance policies, and expensive estate that she will collect. I was talking to my friend about this and she said, "Miss Has-It-All had 1 adversity for once in her privileged life." I didn't think to be so volatile about the situation, but I understand where she came from, and why she would feel that way. It's hard to have sympathy for anyone living a high-class lifestyle. The way I think of it is, if you want to live the high-class lifestyle, then you accept the risks involved in living that kind of lifestyle. I come from an upper-middle class situation myself, and I honestly want to feel sympathy for this girl, but again, it's difficult when there are so many other factors of wealth involved.

Now, I would easily feel badly for a little middle class girl who lost both of her parents in an accident after getting in a wreck after getting on their way home from shopping in their 2007 Suburban, where she was relying on her parents' modest income that she's no longer going to be supported from. She probably won't get much from policies, and she has to grow up without her parents. She probably doesn't go on a lot of vacations. I think that's the type of little girl I would feel a lot of sympathy for.

Alright, I'm ready to get slammed, but I thought I would bring this up because it's a current event that I'm interested in.

It seems like then, if we hear a story about poor families struggling to the point where a murder happened over a financial situation, we think they deserve to go to hell for it, but we don't understand what kind of situation they were in, and how it was money that led to it, and without it, it likely would have never occurred because the stress would have been non-existent. Then, we feel sympathy for a situation like this.

I don't understand this world.
You don't understand this world because you are a sociopath. No sane person comments like this about a 7 year old child who has just witnessed her whole family slaughtered. It would behoove you to be more concerned with your own mental health than this "event" you are interested in.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 01-04-2015 at 03:36 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 04:16 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
You and your friend's compassion needs a true reality check. This girl lost her whole family and had to walk through such harsh terrain to get help. I can't believe you would bring up her financial gain or privileged lifestyle after this. I am embarrassed for you and your friend for your lack of compassion. Shame on both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events