Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:29 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...83134100,d.eXY

While I realize some of you will question the source, Think Progress, if you bother to read the article it is bases on University of Miami, State of Ohio DNR and the Bulletin of Seismological Society of America studies. Yes it also concludes that being near a previous unknown fault was probably involved.

My brother has been drilling oil/gas wells, traditional and hydraulic wells for the last 30 yerts. He believes that fracking does cause quakes, although not the "big ones".
Until, it does.

If fracking causes small earthquakes and the evidence suggests it does, then it is probably only a matter of time before a major fault line gets fracked and causes a major quake of 6.0 or greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:32 PM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Lol, mother earth news.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Until, it does.

If fracking causes small earthquakes and the evidence suggests it does, then it is probably only a matter of time before a major fault line gets fracked and causes a major quake of 6.0 or greater.
Yeah but I have read that if fracking is releasing tension in these fault lines, then it is tension that would have been released by a more major earthquake anyway.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:34 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The best, non-biased reports I have found suggest that fracking *might* be causing earthquakes. But no one can say for sure. Left wing blogs like Think Progress or Mother Jones are certainly going to sensationalize it.

Even if it turns out to be true, I'd rather have earthquakes than be fighting wars in the Middle East to defend the oil supplies!
Really?!

We know how to prevent or stop wars.

Other than not fracking, do you know any other way to prevent or stop earthquakes?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
I think there's someone in Iran who came up with a possible solution...

Quote:
Really?!

We know how to prevent or stop wars.

Other than not fracking, do you know any other way to prevent or stop earthquakes?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Fraking AKA Underground fracturing is used to increase the flow capacity of oil and gas formations. It does this by injecting high pressure water through wells into the formations. The water forces the rocks to crack and the sand contained in the fluid holds the cracks apart when the pressure is released. The gas or oil can then flow to the production wells. Fracking significantly increases the volume of the formation and the rocks redistribute the pressures by slipping in the form of small earthquakes. Weather this small earthquakes can redistribute the stresses in a manner that would require a large earthquake depends on the extent of the fraking and the local to regional geologic formations.

Anyone interested in Mid continent earthquakes should look up the New Madrid Fault quake in the early 1800's. This was a very significant. it was not caused by any of man's activities.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Because it has just started and this is what we're already seeing. Plus I'm no architect but I'd imagine constant tremors can't be good for infrastructure
It's not. In my brother's neighborhood several people have cracked pools.
Now this is an older neighborhood (late 80's) and the pools have all lasted this long with no problems.
Now with all these tremors and such the pools have cracked.

Folks also reporting foundation problems with homes on concrete slabs shifting.

My brother lives just east of Dallas.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:23 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
Quote:
Until, it does.

I was surprised that big brother actually went so far as to admit the small earthquakes.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I've always said there needs to be a sarcasm font
Back in the old stand alone days, we used a slash s to surround the words. Periodically people would not know and post some really worked up posts. When new people arrived, someone would usually advise them of the ways of marking their posts. What was neat back then was watching someone who could barely figure out what a sentence was improve into very coherient posts.

Boards should have a 'primer' come up with first registering, if your new to boards... and advise them about things like making paragraphs and scarcasm and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events