Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times

Advertisements

Obama to propose free community college

What do you guys think about this? Personally my first reaction was, that's stupid. But the more I thought about it, the more Im ok with it. We dump billions of dollars into other nations in futile attempts to "democratize" them and it fails. We spent trillions on failed wars and international policing....and they fail. We literally GIVE money to some Nations.....

If we're going to waste money like that then fine, lets at least use a "little bit" to better ourselves....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,280 times
Is this really a decision to be made by the President of the United States? Aren't Community Colleges funded by the local communities, not the federal government? If so, it will be interesting to see how he proposes to control and pay for this.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:09 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Is this really a decision to be made by the President of the United States? Aren't Community Colleges funded by the local communities, not the federal government? If so, it will be interesting to see how he proposes to control and pay for this.
Hes proposing it to Congress, hes not actually doing it himself. From the article "The program would require action from a Republican-dominated Congress"

They don't have to fund it, nothing is funded right now remember? lol We spend with no balanced budget funded by borrowing from our printing press. We spend trillions with no concern of how to fund it, may as well spend .001% of that on ourselves....

This is where the bipartisan system has truly brainwashed us. We vehemently defend our politicians decisions to support other nations and corporations, but when somebody brings up the bold notion to aid the American individual.....god forbid.....

Old 01-09-2015, 09:24 AM

18 posts, read 25,916 times
If it were free many of the students would not put much effort into it, because they don't have a financial stake. The quality of the students and the classes would go down hill.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:37 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Obama to propose free community college

What do you guys think about this? Personally my first reaction was, that's stupid. But the more I thought about it, the more Im ok with it. We dump billions of dollars into other nations in futile attempts to "democratize" them and it fails. We spent trillions on failed wars and international policing....and they fail. We literally GIVE money to some Nations.....

If we're going to waste money like that then fine, lets at least use a "little bit" to better ourselves....

I thought it was stupid at first, and it probably is. But it can work.

If it's targeted towards degrees that mean jobs. 2 year accounting, A/C technician, auto repair, etc.

If 4 year college aid is reduced commensurately. Although some might now go to a 2 year school who would not have gone to college at all, my bet is this will mainly cannibalize freshman and sophomore enrollment at 4 year schools. Why pay for something when you can get it for free? So 4 year colleges will have fewer kids to amuse and won't need as much money to keep them happy.

If they are going to be enrolled in catch-up classes because they flunked HS, then HS aid should also be reduced. No need paying someone for work not being done.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
In most industrial countries such as in Asia and Europe even our backyards their govt subsidizes 4 year college education. Not totally free but cheap enough where it is essentially provided for.

Most states do provide some type of tuition assistance program for the poor but not universal assistance.

While their is cost involved, I do think it needs to be some level of free education available. It can help lower crime, unemployment benefits, and give people more purpose. The only challenge is how to fund and hire additional staff.

One thing that scares me is that may bring extra taxes and how are schools going to be running them or providing them.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:43 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Clinton did it.The first two semesters you received your money back if you did well in your grades.

Actually it's smart to give the people an opportunity to educate themselves.Then they can transfer to other colleges.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Professional View Post
If it were free many of the students would not put much effort into it, because they don't have a financial stake. The quality of the students and the classes would go down hill.
^This^

Unfortunately, I only see a small percent of the students taking advantage of this to actually further their education and get better careers...I see the vast majority percent taking advantage of this by using it like a continuation of high school. Two extra years of screw around time before they have to grow up and join the work force.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
This would have been a much better ideas than attacking Iraq and much cheaper too. I don't know enough about the long term costs and benefits to ascertain if this is a good plan, however I don't need to- all the experts on here with thepolitiical agendas will be happy to enlighten us.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
I don't agree with it,thatguydownsouth

I am just so tired of "free"
Nothing is for free.
The tax payers will pay for it.

I think the article said 3/4 government paying for it and 1/4 will be paid for by each state.
So, tax payers pay for it, it is not "free"

If Obama and Congress are going to look at these programs
And they want to do something around it.

I am all for paying the Student loans off for previous legal citizens who have already attended Community College and have been working steadlily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events