Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 AM

104 posts, read 83,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Since the terms of the settlement are sealed, this is just a hypothesis. More than likely they settled because this is what their insurance agency advised them to do, to make it go away. It's pretty standard stuff and if it is the insurance company that paid, you can bet they played a large part in the decision.

My guess is the following happened, and it's nothing but numbers to them.
  • They figured out how much TM's life potentially would have been worth in $ and cents. (yes, they do this).
  • They calculated their liability should this go to court and the HOA loses.
  • Used a calculation to come up with an initial settlement amount.
  • This is what is offered to the family and it will always come with the condition that everybody keep their mouths short, this settles any present and ALL future claims by the family, and the settlement sealed from public view.
  • If accepted, they pay up, the lawyers take at least 1/3 and maybe as much as 1/2 as fees, anyone else owed money by the family is paid, then family gets rest.
If the insurance company's cap was $1M, then you can most likely bet the settlement amount was substantially less than this. Otherwise they cut a $1M check to the HOA and tell them good luck in court.
BBM. I don't believe this is true. A family collecting wrongful death money does pay attorneys fees. Does not pay court fees. And, by money owed, I'm assuming you mean mortgages, etc. No, they would not be required to pay off home mortgages nor, let's say, a car loan off the top. Those sorts of things are contractual with the lenders. The lenders can't change the timing of payments on a contract.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutterfly View Post
BBM. I don't believe this is true. A family collecting wrongful death money does pay attorneys fees. Does not pay court fees. And, by money owed, I'm assuming you mean mortgages, etc. No, they would not be required to pay off home mortgages nor, let's say, a car loan off the top. Those sorts of things are contractual with the lenders. The lenders can't change the timing of payments on a contract.
I agree with what you say about the lawsuit and paying who is owed...

GZ isn't off the hook, totally, yet..

Quote:
Benjamin Crump, the lawyer representing Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton,
Trayvon’s parents says that while this ends litigation with the Retreat at Twin
Lakes, plans for a civil suit against Zimmerman continue.
Trayvon Martin's family settles civil case against housing complex for $1 million - NY Daily News

Haven't seen any updates on the above..

He also has DOJ hanging over his head..

Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The articles from the Orlando Sentinel....
Would these be the same ones who printed photo of a 12 year old in order to garner some sympathy?

This is how the insurance industry works. It's part of the finance industry and their people get paid by how little they pay off. Believe as you wish, but there is no reason for them to offer to settle for their full liability amount.

If this is the source, there isn't anything in either link, that offers up any proof. It's all rumor.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutterfly View Post
Do you doubt that Crump would have brought a wrongful death suit against gz if he and the family didn't have reasons to avoid one. My guess is they weighed their chances of success and $ they'd get vs. what new info they'd have to disclose about themselves and their son.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Would these be the same ones who printed photo of a 12 year old in order to garner some sympathy?

This is how the insurance industry works. It's part of the finance industry and their people get paid by how little they pay off. Believe as you wish, but there is no reason for them to offer to settle for their full liability amount.

If this is the source, there isn't anything in either link, that offers up any proof. It's all rumor.

Rumor?

Quote:

Under the terms of the settlement, Trayvon Martin’s parents and his estate agreed
to set aside their wrongful-death claim and claims for pain and suffering, loss
of earnings and expenses, the Sentinel reported.

According to a cover page attached to the settlement that was placed in
Zimmerman’s criminal case file, copies of the settlement were given Thursday to
Zimmerman’s attorney, as well as to the prosecutor and the judge, the newspaper
reported.

Crump has previously said he intends to file suit later against Zimmerman,
and the settlement specified that Zimmerman was not part of the homeowner
association’s deal.
Trayvon Martin’s Parents, HOA Settle Wrongful Death Suit « CBS Miami

O'Mara wanted to use this against them when they testified on their son's behalf. What rumor?

It's a known fact the HOA lawsuit was settled out of court with the particulars about said lawsuit have been sealed.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
It's a known fact the HOA lawsuit was settled out of court with the particulars about said lawsuit have been sealed.
You are repeating what I said.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You are repeating what I said.

what is the rumor statement then?

Maybe I've missed something.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:43 AM

21 posts, read 17,891 times
Quote:
Why? If you are referring to the trial, then anyone with just a little knowledge of court proceedings in the USA, is that previous unrelated incidents are inadmissible as evidence that someone committed a murder.
I think you have gotten confused about which conversation you are replying to. We weren't discussing the trial. The discussion was the very evident pattern of violence that GZ has exhibited for years and is still showing now. Maybe you should stop assuming you know more than everyone else before you just hop into a discussion. I really do think GZ has gotten away with a lot more in his young life than most people do in a lifetime.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 17,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I find it disturbing that the HOA could be sued, even if Zimmerman did act negligently. If I am not mistaken they had rules about not being armed, and certainly did not promote vigilante justice. So how could they be held accountable
Answer: Only a bunch of money grubbing lawyers could find a way to hold the HOA responsible. The sad thing is that it probably will have a chilling effect on HOA's having neighborhood watches in the future, for fear of potential lawsuits.

`
It was the police and the National Neighborhood Watch group that have rules against guns. As I recall, the homeowners association encouraged GZ to carry his gun and act more as a freebie security guard than an actual Neighborhood Watch. This was why they were sued but not the National Neighborhood Watch group. In this case, those lawyers you call money grabbers may have saved another innocent person from being killed by another wannabe in that neighborhood because I'm quite certain that homeowners association will not do that again and hopefully other associations will learn from their experience too.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:07 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,578,127 times
Quote:
Since the terms of the settlement are sealed, this is just a hypothesis. More than likely they settled because this is what their insurance agency advised them to do, to make it go away. It's pretty standard stuff and if it is the insurance company that paid, you can bet they played a large part in the decision.

My guess is the following happened, and it's nothing but numbers to them.
  • They figured out how much TM's life potentially would have been worth in $ and cents. (yes, they do this).
  • They calculated their liability should this go to court and the HOA loses.
  • Used a calculation to come up with an initial settlement amount.
  • This is what is offered to the family and it will always come with the condition that everybody keep their mouths short, this settles any present and ALL future claims by the family, and the settlement sealed from public view.
  • If accepted, they pay up, the lawyers take at least 1/3 and maybe as much as 1/2 as fees, anyone else owed money by the family is paid, then family gets rest.
If the insurance company's cap was $1M, then you can most likely bet the settlement amount was substantially less than this. Otherwise they cut a $1M check to the HOA and tell them good luck in court.
You don't know what you are talking about not being a part of that process now do you (?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events