Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If he was a heroic figure for white conservatives as you proclaimed, he'd have received $$$ multimillions, not a paltry $300 k. But who's counting when you can satisfy the urge to knock conservatives.
That's a strawman and you know it.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:15 PM

21 posts, read 17,896 times
Quote:
Did Corey and Bernie throw the case on purpose or were they simply ineffective goofballs ?

I suppose most of the country had GZ guilty within 2 weeks of the national media reporting the event --- whacko gun-wielding white vigilante mugshot murders adorable skittles-holding unarmed black child. As the evidence came out, most of the non-black population felt the way Stormfront and their ilk did. Not guilty.
Corey and Bernie were appointed by the governor to handle this case which was in a neighboring jurisdiction from theirs. They had their own cases and work load in addition to this case. I truly don't think they gave it the old college try but they aren't goofballs.

I remained on the fence until enough discovery was released for me to form an opinion.

I am not black. I am not real political one way or another but tend to base my opinions on individual circumstances and vote according to individual people running rather than the party they are affiliated with.

I think it's a bit lop-sided for you to assume that all white people think like those at Stormfront do or that all black people agree with one another. I'm sure you believe in your opinions but to assume that everyone who looks like you thinks the same way is very naive to say the least.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:48 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Wow. Racist much? Because your "arguments" have been responded to very effectively by other posters, this is all you have left in your arsenal. Pathetic.
So it took you 2 days to come up with that response? It doesn't sound very effective to me.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-52 View Post
Corey and Bernie were appointed by the governor to handle this case which was in a neighboring jurisdiction from theirs. They had their own cases and work load in addition to this case. I truly don't think they gave it the old college try but they aren't goofballs.

I remained on the fence until enough discovery was released for me to form an opinion.

I am not black. I am not real political one way or another but tend to base my opinions on individual circumstances and vote according to individual people running rather than the party they are affiliated with.

I think it's a bit lop-sided for you to assume that all white people think like those at Stormfront do or that all black people agree with one another. I'm sure you believe in your opinions but to assume that everyone who looks like you thinks the same way is very naive to say the least.
I said that post-verdict most whites agreed with the verdict, most blacks didn't, per polls. I never expect ALL of any group to agree on anything.

You think the prosecutors threw the case, 'didn't give it the old college try.' That makes them much worse than goofballs.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:32 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Or, imagine this:
George Zimmerman is minding his own business, walking thru a mostly-black neighborhood with Skittles and iced tea. Then Trayvon Martin starts stalking him with a gun. Exact same situation, just reverse the individuals. But the exact same situation plays out?

Guess who is the 'thug' then?

The same person - Trayvon Martin, except in this alternative scenario he does exactly what George Zimmerman actually did. The very same people slapping 'thug' on Martin would still slap it on Martin and not Zimmerman if the situations were reversed.

And I think every last person participating in this thread knows it (though quite a few won't admit it).

You win the internet!

That was the point I was attempting to make on page 31, only your angle is even better. A non-black victim would receive the benefit of the doubt. White women, the most followed by white men.

Many people are afraid of black men and it has nothing to do with statistics, crime or the media. This was the case before T.V. when black men could be tried, convicted, hung from a tree and lit on fire in one day while being completely innocent. Rather than trying to confront their own prejudice, they try to blame people like Trayvon for their own shortcomings.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutterfly View Post
Oh, I didn't know people were calling you names. I don't think that you should be called a racist. Perhaps you (or some here) have been defending GZ, and if the other person sees GZ as a murderer, then his supporter would actually be a murderer defender, I think.
I believe GZ was the aggressor and should have been convicted.

I also do not think the state proved its case.

To some, that makes you a murderer defender. Welcome to the club.

The initial aggressor law allows the ia to use deadly force in some circumstances. I don't recall why the judge didn't include that portion of the law in jury instructions. I don't think it mattered, you do.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM

104 posts, read 83,300 times
Quote:
I said that post-verdict most whites agreed with the verdict, most blacks didn't, per polls. I never expect ALL of any group to agree on anything.

You think the prosecutors threw the case, 'didn't give it the old college try.' That makes them much worse than goofballs.
The poll I'm seeing, done at that time by the Washington Post and often cited, surveyed 1002 people. So you are correct that there was such a result. Still, how firmly can one count upon such a poll? It it fine if a person finds it definitive. Still, there is room for reasonable doubt that it exemplifies American thought.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
......That was the point I was attempting to make on page 31, only your angle is even better. A non-black victim would receive the benefit of the doubt. White women, the most followed by white men.

Many people are afraid of black men and it has nothing to do with statistics, crime or the media. This was the case before T.V. when black men could be tried, convicted, hung from a tree and lit on fire in one day while being completely innocent. Rather than trying to confront their own prejudice, they try to blame people like Trayvon for their own shortcomings.
Prejudices, Stereotypes?

Let's check this out:
  • A non-black victim would receive the benefit of the doubt. - CHECK
  • White women, the most followed by white men. - CHECK
  • This was the case before T.V - 70 years ago! CHECK
  • Many people are afraid of black men - CHECK
  • Rather than trying to confront their own prejudice they try to blame people.... CHECK & CHECK
Maybe you should clean your own side of the street before complaining about your neighbor's yard.

Oh, BTW, TM wasn't on trial so there was no benefit of the doubt to give.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM

104 posts, read 83,300 times
Quote:
[/b]
To some, that makes you a murderer defender. Welcome to the club.

The initial aggressor law allows the ia to use deadly force in some circumstances. I don't recall why the judge didn't include that portion of the law in jury instructions. I don't think it mattered, you do.
That is fair.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So it took you 2 days to come up with that response? It doesn't sound very effective to me.
Whatever. I just got on this thread today. But good try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events