Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I missed nothing, thanks. Like I said, if one truly doesn't care what a celebrity has to say, then one theoretically wouldn't bother to respond.
Won't happen. The mere suggestion that too many criminals and maniacs have guns causes an instant Pavlovian response for these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:35 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Agreed. I wish these people would just shut up and act, already.
They do act, hence why they're actors. Why are they not allowed to voice their opinions on certain matters? They are after all human beings like the rest of us with the ability to speak. Look at Ted Nugent, I don't see cons exclaiming that he should shut his mouth & just play music. I wonder why that is?

Old 01-13-2015, 10:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Very disappointing from Mr. Neeson. I like many of his movies. And a gun is what saves the good guys in many of them.

Gross exaggeration to say more kids killed each week. Mass killings can and do happen anywhere, without guns. I'm glad our law of the land allows us to protect ourselves without relying totally on law enforcement.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I wonder why that is?
If you really wonder (instead of just tossing out a hypothetical question) the answer is that conservatives all march lock-step with each other and liberals do not.

For instance, conservatives simply assume that because I was against Mitt Romney in the last election that I must automatically be for Barack Obama. They can't wrap their heads around the idea that I'm not for Obama, either.

I cannot count how many times the president has been referred to as "my guy" in conversation when he is most certainly not representative of my political views. He is less repugnant to me than the neocon creeps the GOP keeps rolling out. "Less repugnant" doesn't equal "enthusiastic support." Conservatives never seem to understand that.

Similarly, they cannot wrap their heads around my philosophy that the second amendment is a great idea, and yet too many maniacs and criminals possess firearms. The only kind of gun control they understand is total prohibition, even though NOBODY is talking about total prohibition. Liberals, most of all, understand that prohibition never works.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 AM

741 posts, read 914,506 times
I think a large part of the problem is that neither side wises to just acknowledge that the US is in an inescapable death spiral on the gun issue an leave it at that. It cannot be fixed. The gun problem here is a terminal case, caused by 240+ years of gun manufacturing with (essentially) zero ownership control...

Pro gun anarchy ideologues chant their stupid platitudes about 'freedom' and 'good guys with guns' without acknowledging the enormous aggravating factor unfettered firearms ownership presents to any civilization. Our gun death statistics aren't that way because of something OTHER than guns.

The anti gun rights side has essentially zero realistic concept about the inexorable reality that firearms are in our civilization and barring some incredibly fascist and authoritarian move to ban them (ie, house to house searches, etc), it ain't gunna change, ever.

The problem arises when someone proposes some kind of pragmatic solution, say, "Gee, I don't think it should be legal for someone to walk into a gun store, purchase an AR15, complete and pass a background check then 3 hours later, sell it to a guy in a McDonalds parking lot with a teardrop tattoo he just met off facebook for cash with NO background check... ya know, I think we should put a stop to something like that..." the half-retarded, drooling mantra chanters come out in full force with their predicable and weak book about "Hitler confiscating guns", et al.

The gun issue here is a symptom of 'American Exceptionalism' as far as how there are a few issues where we are exceptionally stupid and permit imbeciles to command the narrative.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 AM

741 posts, read 914,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Similarly, they cannot wrap their heads around my philosophy that the second amendment is a great idea, and yet too many maniacs and criminals possess firearms. The only kind of gun control they understand is total prohibition, even though NOBODY is talking about total prohibition. Liberals, most of all, understand that prohibition never works.
I agree with this.

In defense of 'them', though, one thing the anti gun rights side is quite consistent with is talking out of both sides of their mouth.

"LET ME BE CLEAR... I DO NOT SUPPORT BANNING FIREARMS... BUT EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ANYONE NEEDS AN AR15 TO HUNT DUCKS?!?!"

I totally, totally support further gun controls and have a fairly deep disdain for conservative ideologues, but being objective, the anti gun rights side is a complete ****show in their own right. That's what tends to happen when you demand specific regulations on something you fundamentally do not understand.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
The problem arises when someone proposes some kind of pragmatic solution, say, "Gee, I don't think it should be legal for someone to walk into a gun store, purchase an AR15, complete and pass a background check then 3 hours later, sell it to a guy in a McDonalds parking lot with a teardrop tattoo he just met off facebook for cash with NO background check... ya know, I think we should put a stop to something like that..." the half-retarded, drooling mantra chanters come out in full force with their predicable and weak book about "Hitler confiscating guns", et al.

The gun issue here is a symptom of 'American Exceptionalism' as far as how there are a few issues where we are exceptionally stupid and permit imbeciles to command the narrative.

And that's because the gun-nut crowd (as opposed to the responsible firearms owners out there) invariably, and to-a-man believes the slippery-slope fallacy as a matter of faith. If we restrict the dude with the teardrop tattoo from buying his AR15 in the McDonald's parking lot, the very next day FEMA troops are going to smash down their front door and confiscate grandpa's shotgun. I have yet to meet a gun nut who didn't believe this -- hook, line and sinker.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,774 times
Eh, who cares. Unlike some people, I can separate an actor's personal belief with his work. I will still watch his movies.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sure, OK. Btw, what is the "new source" being quoted? Oh wait..."Gulf News." Hmm. Bet they were waiting to blame someone, and now they've found a convenient mouthpiece? Wikipedia has some interesting insights into how useful that guy actually is to various related causes.

Bottom line: yet another Hollywood person living in a bubble, with little idea what life is truly like in the details for the other 99.9% and/or the nature of Islamist terrorism. He's a foreigner (Irish national), not sure what insight he thinks he has into much American in terms of culture, fundamental Constitutional values, etc. (hint: "none," though he's supposedly now a naturalized American?)

I hear similar gibberish fairly often from an Australian friend of mine, in some matters one of the smartest men I know. Unfortunately, he also grew up under oppressive laws and somehow thinks that applies, or should apply, to the United States as-well. It doesn't, they don't, and won't. Ever.

Of the quoted statements, above article, first sentence was sufficient. It goes downhill from there. Semi-literate wax dummies start speaking (or writing), they often get into trouble spouting off "facts" that aren't on Twitter, in front of the press, etc. A "light" sure has been shown on the justice system and how well the police do under extraordinarily difficult circumstances. And, yes, let's not get into that, and indeed "put it this way."

Thanks, Liam. Go back to jumping through windows and firing prop guns.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
I think a large part of the problem is that neither side wises to just acknowledge that the US is in an inescapable death spiral on the gun issue an leave it at that. It cannot be fixed. The gun problem here is a terminal case, caused by 240+ years of gun manufacturing with (essentially) zero ownership control...

Pro gun anarchy ideologues chant their stupid platitudes about 'freedom' and 'good guys with guns' without acknowledging the enormous aggravating factor unfettered firearms ownership presents to any civilization. Our gun death statistics aren't that way because of something OTHER than guns.

The anti gun rights side has essentially zero realistic concept about the inexorable reality that firearms are in our civilization and barring some incredibly fascist and authoritarian move to ban them (ie, house to house searches, etc), it ain't gunna change, ever.

Every guy is a good guy with a gun....until they use the gun. I don't know why cons keep saying only criminals misuse guns. How to account for all those people out there shooting others with no criminal record? Well, now they're a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events