Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 01:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Ludicrous.... how some people are making normal communications into world class events. So, the teacher wrote the parent out of concern for his child....But, no...the Dad has to make this into a political platform....For all the Dad knows, the kid only ate the marshmallows and chocolate bars.
P.i.s.s. poor lunch imo, no kid needs marshmallows and chocolate bars in their lunch. Dad needs to have a dialogue with his staff dietitian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Teacher Scolds Physician Dad for Daughter's 'Unhealthy' Lunch

Incidentally, now it's one chocolate bar and not four bars or three small pieces or whatever other version of the story that's out there. It is rather disconcerting that a regular lunch is ham, pickles, chocolate bars, marshmallows, and Ritz crackers. My opinion is that you should get your nutrients from food rather than eating candy and crackers and relying on vitamins. It's the type of diet I could definitely see a second grader choosing absent any parental involvement though.

It's easier to say what I would not pack. I would not pack, or allow my child to pack, a lunch consisting of four candy bars, a bag of marshmallows, and Ritz crackers. The ham and pickle(s) sodium content aside aren't a big issue. Lunch has to be simple things and/or left overs. Usually what we did was left overs from whatever dinner was combined with some sides. Grapes, carrots, celery, cheese, bell peppers, fruit, whatever. There's basically an endless possibility. I'm a big fan of nuts, but a lot of kids won't eat them. No point in throwing away perfectly good almonds. Something like a Yoplait yogurt would be better as a dessert than marshmallows or a candy bar. The Greek yogurt varieties are edible although still way too sugary.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-25-2015 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
This normal weight school child did not, in fact, have the lunch outlined in the teacher's note. The criticism of the parents, one of which was a doctor, was clearly a step out of bounds by the teacher. Not only did the substitute teacher base her assessment of the lunch on hearsay, not her personal observation, it was based on incorrect information and she had no idea what the child normally brought for lunch. Clearly a busy body.
Too funny....You are calling this child's teacher a busy body. I call it doing her job. I hope more teachers take an interest in the children they are in charge of...
What I question is why this Dr made this into such a big deal, seriously.........Most parents would have signed the note.....explained the lunch if they felt the need too..And went on about their day.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Teacher Scolds Physician Dad for Daughter's 'Unhealthy' Lunch

Incidentally, now it's one chocolate bar and not four bars or three small pieces or whatever other version of the story that's out there. It is rather disconcerting that a regular lunch is ham, pickles, chocolate bars, marshmallows, and Ritz crackers. My opinion is that you should get your nutrients from food rather than eating candy and crackers and relying on vitamins. It's the type of diet I could definitely see a second grader choosing absent any parental involvement though.

It's easier to say what I would not pack. I would not pack, or allow my child to pack, a lunch consisting of four candy bars, a bag of marshmallows, and Ritz crackers. The ham and pickle(s) sodium content aside aren't a big issue. Lunch has to be simple things and/or left overs. Usually what we did was left overs from whatever dinner was combined with some sides. Grapes, carrots, celery, cheese, bell peppers, fruit, whatever. There's basically an endless possibility. I'm a big fan of nuts, but a lot of kids won't eat them. No point in throwing away perfectly good almonds. Something like a Yoplait yogurt would be better as a dessert than marshmallows or a candy bar.
Did your kids pack a thermos of hot leftovers or did they eat them cold?

Yoplait is not healthy contrary to popular belief. It has 28 grams of sugar per serving. That's almost twice that amount contained in four marshmallows.

Dark chocolate actually has health benefits.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM

3,126 posts, read 5,051,193 times
I think the father has mental health issues. Why not talk to the kid about good choices, make sure she packs a peanut butter sandwich with carrot and celery sticks the next day and go on with his life.

Too bad for his penance he can't be forced to baby sit a party with kids who have been given chocolate and marshmallows for lunch. The teacher just wants the kids to have good fuel to get through the afternoon classes. Shame on dad for not doing a better job.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Did your kids pack a thermos of hot leftovers or did they eat them cold?

Yoplait is not healthy contrary to popular belief. It has 28 grams of sugar per serving. That's almost twice that amount contained in four marshmallows.

Dark chocolate actually has health benefits.
We had microwaves at school, actually. And I kind of agree with Yoplait. I can't even eat the regular stuff, the Greek yogurts (16 grams of sugar) is edible if still severely over sweetened. Similar to the sugar content in one of the four chocolate bars (fun-sized). A yogurt or a fun-sized chocolate bar or a healthyish juice box is where I'd put step in and become a parent on the sugar content.

Dark chocolate is chocolate. It has the same health benefits as regular chocolate. The advantage of dark chocolate is a generally lower sugar content. That's often pretty minimal, however. Hershey's "Dark Chocolate" for example, has 92% of the total fat, 100% of the saturated fat, and 91% of the sugar. My go-to Ghiradelli 86% bars have less than a quarter of the sugar but more than double the fat. I'd probably be better off with the Hershey's bar (especially since I wouldn't eat it anyway) as there's no diabetes in my family but plenty of coronary disease.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Too funny....You are calling this child's teacher a busy body. I call it doing her job. I hope more teachers take an interest in the children they are in charge of...
What I question is why this Dr made this into such a big deal, seriously.........Most parents would have signed the note.....explained the lunch if they felt the need too..And went on about their day.
She's not a nutritionist. If she felt the child's health was in danger she can refer her to the school nurse...who can then bring in a doctor.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
four candy bars, a bag of marshmallows,.
Why do you keep saying this?

It was three pieces of chocolate and four marshmallows.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
She's not a nutritionist. If she felt the child's health was in danger she can refer her to the school nurse...who can then bring in a doctor.
Or she could send a note home that four chocolate bars, marshmallows, and Ritz crackers aren't a good lunch. Please send your school to child with a healthy lunch.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Why do you keep saying this?

It was three pieces of chocolate and four marshmallows.
Or a candy bar and a bag of marshmallows
Or four candy bars and a bag of marshmallows

No clue which of the three versions of the story are factually correct, nor does it particularly matter. The lunch could have been a bag of grapes and four carrot sticks and a lunch consisting of four chocolate bars and a bag of marshmallows still wouldn't be appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events