Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:10 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Guess what, there ARE people out there who would make you believe they don't believe in "nice days". lol Those are the ones who either give you a 'look', ignore you and be grumpy in general. I might wonder about them but not for long. I don't let their attitude affect me. I did have a lady once who was pretty grumpy. I told her to have a nice day and she said..."I don't know why you people always say that. You don't mean it!". I told her that, yes, I DID mean it but she was welcome to have any kind of day she would like. (I used my ''nice voice'.) She just said "Hmmmph" and walked off. lol
Puts me in mind of the retort I've heard to that "have a nice day" comment. The grump says, in response to it, "Don't tell ME what to do"!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM

240 posts, read 252,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I will take the other side of the argument, and let's dissect what the greeter was really saying. Instead of just saying goodbye, he/she was interjecting God into their message. "Blessed", to me, means Blessed by God, and I do find it somewhat of a put off when someone says "Have a blessed day" to me as well.

I think businesses have the right to ask their employees to act and speak in ways consistent with what the company thinks and wants. A customer, who is spending money at WM, found it offensive, and Walmart responded.

Imagine for a moment if the greeter said "May Allah be with you!". We could defend that by saying they were simply being nice, but it goes deeper than that.

Don
The man never mentioned God. You read God into it. As someone pointed out, pagans use the blessed word too. It isn't restricted to the Christians, nor is anyone trying to offend you by saying the word blessed. No, it doesn't "go deeper than that".

Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Puts me in mind of the retort I've heard to that "have a nice day" comment. The grump says, in response to it, "Don't tell ME what to do"!!!
LOL...that sounds like something my sister would say. Growing up those were her favorite words to ME. That and "You're not the boss of me".

Old 02-03-2015, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 16,312 times
I'm not Christian and would not be offended if he stopped there, but it is unprofessional. Yes, he's a Walmart greeter not a Wall Street broker but he is the face of Walmart at his location. What's wrong with "Welcome to Walmart, have a nice day." or "Good Morning, nice to see you." those are still pleasant greetings and are professional.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
The man never mentioned God. You read God into it. As someone pointed out, pagans use the blessed word too. It isn't restricted to the Christians, nor is anyone trying to offend you by saying the word blessed. No, it doesn't "go deeper than that".
So would you mind if I was a greeter at Walmart and said " Welcome to Walmart, may the Devil take your soul?" How is it different than telling someone to "go to hell"? Its the same kind of religious proselytizing to me.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 PM

625 posts, read 902,800 times
The things people complain about

Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
So would you mind if I was a greeter at Walmart and said " Welcome to Walmart, may the Devil take your soul?" How is it different than telling someone to "go to hell"? Its the same kind of religious proselytizing to me.
I would reply with "it looks like he already took yours. After all, you are the one who is a door greeter at walmart."

As for the topic, this is just completely silly. Whether you are religious or not, just say "thanks" and move on. It really is that simple.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
This is a-ok with me. The employer always tells the employee how to greet customers, how to answer the phone, etc. Obviously this isn't the case of "one person complained and now the world is going to hell" or anything, it's just not the market-appropriate greeting for their customer base and if it's making ANYONE feel odd (customers or other employees) then it needs to go.

Stop acting mad, you know this isn't worth it. BTW, I thought Walmart got rid of greeters years ago.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM

513 posts, read 736,855 times
Default Many people, mostly AA, where I live...

say this to me in the elevator, etc. I wouldn't complain about a Walmart employee either, but it makes me a little uncomfortable and I don't know what the response should be, other than "thank you," and take it in the spirit given. I think it would be easier to accept if people said, "I hope you have a blessed day," because "have a blessed day," sounds like to me THEY are trying to bless me and I don't think they are qualified to do that.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:32 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I don't suppose it ever occurred to anybody that the guy was conferring the blessing of Quetzlcoatl upon them?
or Ra?
Or Jupiter?
Or Venus?
Or Thor?
Or maybe even Loki?
Or Ahura Mazda?
Or the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Y'know, folks, the God of Abraham isn't the ONLY god that has ever been worshiped or called on to confer blessings on this ball of mud and rock!

But, regarding store "greeters", I don't even notice them, either on my way in the store, or on my way out. They are just part of the furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events