Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
While the 2nd amendment is a right in the constitution confirmed by the supreme court to apply to individuals, they also have clearly stated that it can be limited by state and federal governments, by a considerable amount if they wish.

Mass shootings need to stop. I'm a gun owner and I'm ashamed at the other gun owners who wrap themselves in the flag of the 2nd amendment in the wake of events like Newtown. Last year a kid at my local high school shot himself in front of his class. Details emerge in Bend High suicide; Police confirm student was

Another one at a high school 3 hours away from me shot a kid in the boys locker room and would have shot dozens if not stopped by a teacher, security guards and police. He had brought an AR-15, a handgun and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in 9 magazines stuffed in a guitar case. Had he not been stopped he could have shot dozens. Oregon high school shooting: Latest developments from Reynolds High School | OregonLive.com

Kids, and none of us in a civilized country for that matter, should have to be subjected to someone committing suicide by gun in front of them, or to a heavily armed rampaging lunatic!

Again, I am ashamed at people who think this is okay and we should just tolerate it as a price of freedom with the 2nd amendment. No. It's unacceptable and intolerable.
Okay, so what do you propose? don't say "assault weapons ban" because we tried that already, didn't do anything except tick off law abiding people for years and infringe on their 2nd amendment right. The Columbine shooting happened right smack in the middle of it.

Bans are a joke. You can't magically do away with the hundreds of millions of high capacity magazines already in circulation, or the hundreds of millions of guns. It's not going to happen, period. Bans are only followed by law abiding people, and these people don't tend to go on shooting rampages. They might snap and murder their cheating spouse or something (like the story in the OP), but that is different then a mass shooting. Those are ridiculously rare, you have a better chance of dying in a plane crash then being involved in one of those. But sure, lets infringe on everyone's rights so that these spineless liberal sheep can feel a little safer. How about no.

And really? Licensed FFL gun dealers weren't running background checks at guns shows in CT? I find that highly doubtful because if they were they would've all been thrown in jail.

And lastly, there is no way you are putting a AR back together under the kind of pressure and disorientation that comes from waking up out of a deep sleep to someone breaking into your house. Good luck with that.

Oh, and lots of times people don't realize someone is home when they break in. Even still, there are plenty of criminals who will do it, and statistically speaking they are violent with their intentions. My parents live in upstate NY in a very rural area and there was a home invasion just down the street from them. A group of thugs came up from Hudson, broke in, one of them tried to kill the owner but his gun failed, they tied them up instead and then robbed the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:28 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

Again, I am ashamed at people who think this is okay and we should just tolerate it as a price of freedom with the 2nd amendment. No. It's unacceptable and intolerable.
You jumped the shark.

It absolutely false to say that people who support the 2nd amendment are OK with mass shootings. That is a shameful statement. It's absolute nonsense as they are saddened and disgusted by these mass shootings like anyone else. Furthermore, placing restrictions on gun ownership will not stop them.

What would have changed is if people had been allowed to carry a gun into one of those venues. It would have taken one armed teacher to put an end to it. Yet, since this has been forbidden by the gun control crowd, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. What do we have for that, a lot of dead people.

The logic is clear enough.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Where the hell is the NRA? If those people had taken the advice of the NRA and armed themselves, they could have shot back, killed the deranged gun toter, and we would have had a fairy tale ending.

Folks, you just need to listen to the NRA. They know what they are talking about: More guns save lives.

It is all SO logical.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 AM

29,476 posts, read 14,643,964 times
I'm definitely going agains the norm here. I am not afraid of firearms, I don't think we need more laws for them. What we should do is concentrate on inforcing the ones we do have.
What I am afraid of is what seems like an increasing number of people that feel it is rational to take someones life. Either for a bag of chips (happened here in Detroit last week, a knife was used) , a pair of tennis shoes, or because of a disagreement. Also these issues need to be separated. One is mental health, the other is inner city , low income , gang related. Two separate issues which are the largest portion of violent murder in todays society. I guess there is another, suicide but if someone wants to kill themself, its tragic but it is their choice. It could also be lumped into the mental health issue.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
People die in swimming pools too, let's ban 'em?
Man, your arguments aren't logic, because we're talking about guns only
I didn't know swimming pools were meant to kill? What are guns for? Kill? Swimming pool equals gun? Only in America would someone post something so stupid!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I didn't know swimming pools were meant to kill? What are guns for? Kill? Swimming pool equals gun? Only in America would someone post something so stupid!
Only in America would someone fail to completely miss the point that was made and instead mistake it for "stupid".

Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Do you really think this mentally unhinged person couldn't have killed 5 people with his car, or a knife, or a wood cutting axe, a hammer, or a home made bomb?
Guns make it much easier not to mention the fact that they give the target little or no warning. You tend to notice someone coming at you with a knife or ax which gives you time to react or flee. Even a compound bow or crossbow is large enough not to be concealed whereas with a hand gun its easy to surprise the victims. Just pull it out real quick and pop pop pop before anyone knows whats happening. It also takes a lot less time to shoot someone then it does to stab or cleave someone so the killer can get more people in less time with a gun. Yes, if guns did not exist things like this would still happen but the number of victims would be much much less.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Only in America would someone fail to completely miss the point that was made and instead mistake it for "stupid".
You do understand that guns are designed to kill, don't you? There is an obvious difference between a swimming pool and a gun. What about huge magazines of ammo? What is their purpose? To shoot as many as possible and do as much damage as you can get away with before you are shot dead yourself. There is no other reason to have ammo at the ready with a huge clip. NONE! What is your argument against that? I am sure it wouldn't be a logical one.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Is it really ? Using your logic, death really only matters if it's by one of those evil guns since it was designed to kill. Since a swimming pool is designed for fun it's okay, or they don't count ? Or you don't count them ?

Odd thing is, I have many different types of firearms and not one has killed anything... maybe slayed the hell out of some paper targets but that is about it. Maybe you should be more concerned with people that do bad things, regardless of the tool they used to commit the crime.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Guns make it much easier not to mention the fact that they give the target little or no warning. You tend to notice someone coming at you with a knife or ax which gives you time to react or flee. Even a compound bow or crossbow is large enough not to be concealed whereas with a hand gun its easy to surprise the victims. Just pull it out real quick and pop pop pop before anyone knows whats happening. It also takes a lot less time to shoot someone then it does to stab or cleave someone so the killer can get more people in less time with a gun. Yes, if guns did not exist things like this would still happen but the number of victims would be much much less.
Then the do-gooders would go after the next deadly assault weapon...

Save a Life

"Detective Chief Inspector Steve Dowson said: “We are keen to raise awareness of the devastating impact of knife crime and to reduce the number of families affected"

The same rhetoric over and over...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events