Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:33 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
People need to get over their stinking sensitivities. This includes any vet who is offended by a simple "thank you". Geeeze!
I do agree with this.

Even though I am sickened by the non stop adulation and hero worship of all things military/veteran in our society, and the way it's been so commercialized, I see nothing wrong when people thank a veteran.

I'm also annoyed with these op pieces from veterans pontificating to the masses about how they get offended when people thank them (this isn't the first time a veteran brought up this issue). So what, big whoop dee doo, someone thanked you so just acknowledge it and go on your merry way and get over yourselves. No need to get on some soap box and ramble about how civilians will 'never understand.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I can see why some people might find it irritating, 'thanks for your service' could come across as throw away, trite or patronizing. Or, who are you to thank me? ... you're not my senior officer and you've got no conception of what it was like. Sometimes silence is ok too.
Good advice.

I think the phrase started out with good intentions and people probably use it with good intentions. But it may have become too trite, as you suggest. Perhaps the best thing we can do for our veterans is voice our support for veteran's program for jobs and health care when they return.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Let's face it, there are some people in this world who would complain if you were standing in the street, handing out $100 bills ! Anyone who is upset that another person went out of their way to say thank you has problems beyond our understanding.

Don

Old 02-21-2015, 09:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
He volunteered. It was his choice to serve...for whatever reason. He was paid for his time. We owe him nothing more and he need not be special/above anyone else.

I am happy to ignore him if that is his desire. I would rather remember my grandfather who served proudly and never missed an opportunity to talk about his service with a gleam in his eye.

RIP Grandpa Floyd.
I guess your grandfather isn't any more special or above anyone else either. OK.

Military service DOES demand more personal sacrifice than most careers - I'm all for giving credit where credit is due. But knowing that incessant "thank you for your service thank you for your service thank you for your service" can make many military personnel uncomfortable, I try to show my appreciation in other ways, like picking up their tab anonymously in a restaurant or saying "I appreciate what you do" or something like that, or donating to veterans' causes, that sort of thing.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Cripes! What the h***do they want us to say to them?? Nothing??
Why not? That's what I say to them - nothing at all.

They served in the military? Huh. So what. I don't have anything against them, but I don't particularly care very much either. The dude has a good point, in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I agree with him. It's empty. If you are really thankful and feel the service is meaningful, offer your own and suit up.
That makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'm thankful for those who provide janitorial services, so does that mean I should quit my job and become a janitor because their work is meaningful?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:54 PM

242 posts, read 413,148 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;38543345]I guess your grandfather isn't any more special or above anyone else either. OK. [quote]

You guess wrong. He was damn special to me and he would have told this guy to find some respect for the uniform he wore.

It's sad that such a soldier gets ANY accolades when there are men/women who served/were injured and families who lost loved ones who have real issues that make his WHINING LIKE A CHILD look like a cakewalk.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
my husband always appreciates when people say things like, "thank you for your service". he is a humble, simple man. but i can see where this guy is coming from. i think of all the people driving around with yellow ribbon bumper stickers who don't mind tax payer money going to these guys to fight wars, but don't seem to be interested in supporting the troops when they get out of the military used up and broken. the number of homeless vets is appalling, as is the suicide rate among vets. what do these "thank you for your service" people do for the broken vets?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post

I say- don't be offended by people who didn't share in that experience. He VOLUNTEERED; it was his choice.

It even says within military groups some militants make fun of the phrase with each other.

Cripes! What the h***do they want us to say to them?? Nothing??

Think of the Vietnam vets- I'm sure they would have loved to hear people thank them for their service.
Perhaps they would change their tune in a hurry if they had to endure being called "baby killers" and get spit on in their homeland like their military predecessors did during the Vietnam war. And yes, folks, that did happen.

My brother-in-law, a Vietnam vet, certainly doesn't find it anything to scoff at.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:23 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
That makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'm thankful for those who provide janitorial services, so does that mean I should quit my job and become a janitor because their work is meaningful?
Are you so thankful that you attempt to thank every janitor you come across? Not all, but some of these "thank you for your service" comments come from people who have a guilty conscious. Maybe they were huge cheerleaders of one of our most recent wars and were old enough to serve but chose not to, for purposes of self preservation of course.

I am grateful for everyone who has served honorably in the military, but I don't go around thanking them. I just listen to their stories if they have any to tell. Never have I thanked any of my family members who served. It has never occurred to me to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events