Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 11:08 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why do you think this?? sometimes things really are quite simple...There isn't much more that could possibly be relevant here... about the ONLY thing that could come out at this point would be is if Scott actually said to the officer... "I can't let you take me alive... do what you have to do..." even then... people have wrestled about to be bridge jumpers back onto the road-bed. They could have let the jumper do it. I'm sure they weren't always thanked for their intervention at the moment. The suicide by cop scenario nearly always has the victim running towards the cop. Usually with some kind of weapon.
yes, your right about the victim running towards the cop so they can commit suicide by cop...
I don't believe Scott was doing that...

honestly, I think his brother is right, he was trying to get away from being tased again....

Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 3,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If you want to live, don't steal a cop's weapon and then start running away. No sympathy here...except for the cop.
Why must you make such statements and remove all doubt that you are a blithering idiot?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
The victim was unreasonable to run away from a cop he had a scuffle with who had a gun who had fired a tazer at him.
It's against the law for cops to shoot fleeing, unarmed suspects in the back. It was not a reasonable course of action for the cop to shoot this man. Running away from this deranged cop was probably the most reasonable thing for him to do.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllergicToIdiots View Post
The claim by this "officer" that the man tried to take his tazer is just a lie.
If it wasn't he would not a) walk back to the tazer after handcuffing the man he just shot thru the heart and b) pick up the tazer and c) walk back 20 feet to the handcuffed victim and d) drop it next to him.
The only reason he handcuffed the man was to make sure the man could not move and see him plant evidence(you know.. just in case there was any life left in him despite of the obvious bullet entry wound in his back over his heart).
Had he not been filmed the planted evidence would have gone beautifully with his lie that the man grabbed the tazer and that's why its next to him.
I never said it wasn't a lie and I also made zero mention of the Officer's story.

Quote:
There are several dimwitted or possibly racist type of individuals who keep on saying ..." oh but he grabbed the tazer" as if it was gospel "...because... because..because umm the 'officer' said so. These morons should go back to watching faux news, listening to Rush & his ilk and attend their Tea Party or KKK rallies. They are fooling no one only showing how irrelevant and void of logic their comments have become.
Those responses are par for the course here.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm trying to understand why Slager shot him. I wish so much that Slager wouldn't have shot him. It's very sad. I just cannot fathom why Slager shot him. Yes, it was murder.
does that make you feel better, to mock a person for their thoughts.... honestly, I don't understand the mean-ness in people any longer....it is pathetic what this world has come to....

Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 AM

672 posts, read 789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree people do stupid stuff as we all have, especially in our youth. However this was a grown man and from what I understand only had child support in the rears. That should never cause anyone to try and run away from the cops. Sure he didn't expect to be killed, but nothing good was going to be achieved. Heck I think more times than not those who flee are more likely to get an a$$ whooping. Think about it?

As to minimizing a broken tail light, this is where your liberal bias shows itself. I am white, and have been pulled over for such trivial things on numerous occasions over the years. I have had white friends of mine also pulled over for broken tail lights. It is an obvious hazard that will attact the attention of cops.
Heck it was not all that long ago a friend of a friend could not afford to replace the tail light lens for several weeks because it was too expensive, and had a warning citation that they had to go to court and show it was fixed. I helped out by putting red tape that anyone can buy at Autozone and made a temp repair. I suggested he take pictures and show the judge that it was now in conformance with the law, until he could get his next paycheck to buy a new lens.
I think you have been watching too many Hollywood movies where the cop batons the lens and then uses it as an excuse.

I agre with you, and if you read my previous post from early in this thread, I put the blame on the LEO without question. However that doesn't mean that others who point out that if the victim didn't flee, he'd likely be alive. In no way does that justifiy what the cop did, but it is still a factual statement. On some level you must agree, even if you put the majority of the blame(as I do) on the cop.

I get your point, but disagree with your assumptions. There has undoubtedly been unjust interaction with cops by all races. I have had a few incidents where cops acted inappropriately with me. But to assume that this cop would not be facing charges if not for the video, is just that, an assumption. Cops do lose their jobs and are prosecuted without video evidence, but we do not hear about those because they are typically only local interest stories. However it makes national news if a white cop is acquitted of shooting an unarmed black. Yet stories like that are purposely sensationalized by the media and the race merchants that are all to happy to exploit it.
Ask yourself why this story did not make the national news when it happened;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjufXHqJUcA

You can bet dollars to donuts it would have made international news if the races were reversed. [Please don't compare this incident with the video, as I was making a separate point related to your sweeping generalization about unarmed people].
All races of people should be disturbed by the improper use of lethal force by LE. I don't know if there are stats, but probably plenty of whites has been shot while unarmed as well. I don't see this as a racial issue as much as an inappropriate disregard for human life. You don't kill someone for a traffic stop, whether they resist arrest or not. The cops life was not in danger, nor was the general public, so the callous disregard for life is the issue.
Heck if this cop has a soul, he will see this poor guy was very much like him (former USCG, pregnant wife, etc.). Now both their and their families lives are ruined.
Only on CDF can a member of the NRA be called liberal. And really, who cares what my political standing is?

Your assumptions made you make further false assumptions about my point of view. Broken tail lights are the exact kind of thing that a LEO will use as an entry point to pull over someone who is otherwise not breaking a law. It is the kind of thing that they will often ignore if they don't believe that their fishing expedition will garner more then a silly ticket, they use it as a reason to search your car for drugs, check your passengers, etc.. If they look at a white kid driving a beater and they think that the kid might have drugs or be up to no good, yes, they pull the kid over. They look at me, a middle aged white woman, and they might pull me over, but chance are that they would give me a warning, or even help me change my lightbulb, but chances are even greater that they don't pull me over at all.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
does that make you feel better, to mock a person for their thoughts.... honestly, I don't understand the mean-ness in people any longer....it is pathetic what this world has come to....
I am NOT mocking you. I'm pointing out that people keep trying to make Scott responsible for his own death when Slager is 100% responsible. Not 50%. Not 75%. Not 95%. But 100 freaking percent.

Stop wondering why Scott ran because it's completely irrelevant to the question.

If a man ran from an enraged bear and was mauled to death, you might wonder about that. Why didn't he just play dead? But Slager was not an enraged bear. He was an experienced PO who chose to shoot a fleeing man.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If your thoughts on the matter keep coming back to "why did this man, who was facing prison time, run away from the cop who just tased him" then you should be mocked. You're looking for reasons to blame the victim and to deflect responsibility from the man who murdered him.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:21 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
It's amazing some dumba$$ still believe you are a liberal if you question police action here

I hope this POS policeman goes in for a long time as unless he murdered someone and way trying to run away he did not deserve to be shot in the back.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I am NOT mocking you. I'm pointing out that people keep trying to make Scott responsible for his own death when Slager is 100% responsible. Not 50%. Not 75%. Not 95%. But 100 freaking percent.

Stop wondering why Scott ran because it's completely irrelevant to the question.

If a man ran from an enraged bear and was mauled to death, you might wonder about that. Why didn't he just play dead? But Slager was not an enraged bear. He was an experienced PO who chose to shoot a fleeing man.
Quote:
you wrote this, which was a mock...

I'm trying to understand why Slager shot him. I wish so much that Slager wouldn't have shot him. It's very sad. I just cannot fathom why Slager shot him. Yes, it was murder.
I'd like to have a sensible discussion and get viewpoints as everyone else here is doing....
stop telling me what I'm allowed to wonder or ponder....as to me it IS relevant

I wouldn't wonder about running from a bear and getting mauled to death, the bear isn't a human being....

And yes, indeed, he did shoot a fleeing man, but I'm not wondering why he fled to make excuses for the cop, to me, if he hadn't run he'd still be alive, maybe I'm wrong????

I'm on your side.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events