Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 04:23 PM

622 posts, read 527,543 times

Advertisements

SC Police release dashcam video of the events prior to the incident taking place: South Carolina police shooting: Dash cam video released - CNN.com

It's almost surreal compared to what followed with an amiable conversation taking place between the cop and the victim.

I noticed too that there was somebody in the car with him, but there's no explanation as to who that was. .

Old 04-09-2015, 04:28 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
He sure can't pay any of that child support now.
True but that is all besides the point. His kids will now get the money from lawsuits if the greedy sharptons and jackson advisor committees don't grab it all.

Had he been working and paying child support, just maybe he wouldn't have been there that horrible day. The chain of events that resulted in the man's death started long before that day, as it does for anything that happens.

The broken tail light probably prompted the stop. The warrant got the cop more interested and legally, the cop was duty bound to arrest him. Time to think about that too. No warrant, more likely a a ticket.

When a cop stops a driver and they have an active warrant, they are legally and duty bound to arrest that person.

Nothing mitigates the shooting, nothing. I only point out that no warrant, no get out of the car.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Default To Whom It May Concern

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
ˌsaNG(k)təˈmōnēəs/
adjectivederogatory

adjective: sanctimonious
  1. making a show of being morally superior to other people.
    "what happened to all the sanctimonious talk about putting his family first?"
    synonyms:self-righteous, holier-than-thou, pious, pietistic, churchy, moralizing, preachy, smug, superior, priggish, hypocritical, insincere; informalgoody-goody
    "no one wants to hear your sanctimonious hot air"

Origin

early 17th century (in the sense ‘holy in character’): from Latin sanctimonia ‘sanctity’ (from sanctus ‘holy’) + -ous.

Translate sanctimonious to

Use over time for: sanctimonious

Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A likely scenario (and we still don't know everything) is that the cop made horribly wrong decision and the worst one anyone could make, he took the life of someone.

Planting the Taser would not automatically make this a murder. It could be manslaughter. It does not appear to be pre-meditated because there was some struggle before the cop shot. Pre-meditated would instead point to the cop just shooting from the get go. That isn't what happened.

He also likely placed the taser there after realizing what he did. Stupid and damaging but again, that by itself doesn't make it murder.

To many, the difference between murder and manslaughter is lost and often we forget the standard to convict as a murder. In this case, even I have said it was a murder but that might not be the case.

If the cop made a bad judgement, then it wouldn't necessarily be murder even if he took a life. It comes down to intent. Firing as many rounds as he did also points to something but also doesn't by itself mean a murder.

The cop was wrong, not even a question. Now it comes down to intent. That is something we don't yet know and won't until a trial.

The trial will be the real test. If it is found not to be 1st degree murder, expect riots I think. But then, what chance does the cop have to get anything less when everyone has already decided it is murder? Remember, the definition of murder isn't just killing someone, there must be intent and the intent must go to more than the act, it goes to the reason for the act. So far, no one really knows except the cop who fired the gun.

In the rush to judgement, surely the same standards that seem to apply to every other person who kills someone should also apply here. After all, on this forum we had a thread where a woman killed a man who years before abused here and we had lots of people saying it wasn't murder even though the woman went to the man's house with a gun, years after the events took place and shot him dead. If that wasn't pre-meditated, just what is?

You need to get a better understanding of the difference between all the terms you're tossing about. This wouldn't even qualify as voluntary manslaughter. And while it may not have been premeditated, all that means is that it falls under the second degree murder category.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You need to get a better understanding of the difference between all the terms you're tossing about. This wouldn't even qualify as voluntary manslaughter. And while it may not have been premeditated, all that means is that it falls under the second degree murder category.
I don't recall using the term "voluntary manslaughter" do you?

I said specifically that it could be something other than murder. I did not say it wasn't murder since no one knows yet, including you since there hasn't been a plea or trial resulting in a judgement.

Now, care to try again?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:43 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Looks like this was turned into another race based controversy. I'm black and I could care less what happened to the man murdered or the police officer. If he didn't try fighting with him, he would still be alive. This is going to continue to happen if people don't learn to respect the law and act appropriately with the police.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:55 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Looks like this was turned into another race based controversy. I'm black and I could care less what happened to the man murdered or the police officer. If he didn't try fighting with him, he would still be alive. This is going to continue to happen if people don't learn to respect the law and act appropriately with the police.
Did the officer respect and uphold the law too?

Just take a seat...

Old 04-09-2015, 04:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
see post #493...

Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
I think, in addition to this, that they are de-sensitized during their training. So much so that when he pulled his gun and fired through the victim's torso, I believe he was so caught up in the moment that firing those shots caused no more emotion than when he had done the same thing hundreds of times in the past at the firing range, putting bullets through a human outline.
Or maybe it was video games.

I've assuredly spent less time at a firing range than the cop did, but probably a lot more than you have.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Isn't that truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events