Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 03:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,406,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I was eating lunch in a place that had the TV running. I think it was CNN and the reporter was talking to some "expert" and the report asked this expert if this shooting was similar to the Michael Brown shooting and that the same thing could have happened only there was no video.

To myself I went "What ?" Why dredge this up and why try to make Brown's shooting similar to this ?

It's like throwing chum into a pool of sharks just to see them go crazy.
Congratulations on 'seeing the light', & welcome to the modern main-stream media news cycle.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,797,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
All the reports I've seen indicate he was killed by 5 bullets fired y the cop. Have you heard he died from a heart attack or getting hit by a car, due to running.
Yes I heard he had a heart attack from runny 750 yards, fighting with a cop and then trying to run again without recharging his electrolytes.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,665,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's telling that the analogy used is comparing the officer to a 'thug' trying to rob you. We should treat them in the same manner. Sadly, you're probably right.
If the cop is breaking the law and acting like a thug, yeah, they should be treated just like the criminal not wearing a uniform.

Just as I'm not going to make the stand against a street criminal with a gun asking for my wallet, I'm also not going to make a stand against a cop who is being unreasonable.

I'll remain, "Yes sir, no sir" until I can go after him legally.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:29 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,521,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
WT?

It sounds like you are saying he should have run as a means avoiding getting arrested.

It also sounds like you are implying the cop had the intention and was going to kill him, regardless of whether he ran or not. Unless you know something I don't, these two did not know each other, so what motivation would the cop have of shooting in in the chest if the suspect was compliant?
I'm not saying he Should have run. My response was to the people who are so as to why he would run.

There was another incident not long ago where shots were fired at a fleeing guy from behind. The word 'execution' was tossed around wrongly to promote anger, protests and punish the cop.

So far, this looks like an execution to me. I'm implying that it wouldn't surprise me if the guy had ended up dead even if he had struggled, resisted arrest, tried to get the taser, and then didn't run. I have Zero evidence or proof. I look at the circumstances of when the cop fired 8 shots, staged the scene, claimed he felt his life was in danger. So yes, IMO, this easily could have been a 'he had my taser, was reaching for my gun, stages the scene, justifiable self-defense,' with absolutely no evidence to contradict the story.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:42 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,431,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I heard, this cop was a Jersey Cop for a while, but don't know where he worked. What I will say, is this....
While it isn't an excuse for his behavior, something has gone amiss in his mind...and depending on where he worked might have caused this. Cops see things that human beings shouldn't see....horrible things....
Many years ago, oh, I'm going back maybe 20 - 30 years, there was a special on TV about Cops in NYC...and how bad it was for them and what they saw and did....every single day of their lives....so, what they did was rotate the police out of the inner cities, b/c they did studies and found that human beings couldn't handle what they saw on a regular basis. It's like when someone goes to war, and is in the front lines....

I'm not saying this is an excuse, what I'm saying is, if this cop worked in say, Camden which is very bad....well...he may have lost it....
Now imagine how it is for the people who live it every day.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:44 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,231,821 times
This time I have to agree the cop was in the wrong. It clearly looks like he planted the taser by the body. THIS is a real case of murder IMO.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,970,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
What exactly do you mean by, The man made some bad choices in his life ? From what I've read, Scott was ex-Coast Guard from which he was honorably discharged. That can hardly be construed as making a bad choice in life unless you know something about the CG which I don't.

Furthermore, his only misdemeanors were a few non-payments for child care and driving a vehicle with a broken rear light. Hardly anything to write home about.
Please, lets not draw this into everything being about the Coast Guard, you and I both know it isn't so why try to make it that?

Did you bother to read more about the story or did everything stop with the Coast Guard?

I guess to you, not paying child support is nothing to write home about (your words). I think there are more than a few mothers and kids who can't write home about it because for lack of child support, their homes aren't some place anyone would want to write to.

Now remember, in case you want to mis-characterize what I'm saying, I'm not in any way saying anything the man did justifies his murder so take that off the table.

Not paying child support is a big deal because that is how his kids are supposed to eat, get clothed and have a roof over their heads (along with contributions by the mother. I guess you don't see that as anything important. from your reply, that is the meaning taken and given your comment, taken correctly.

Not doing what needs to be done to pay child support is a bad choice.

Do you know how long it takes to get a warrant out for your arrest because you don't pay child support? It isn't like he missed one month, he is a chronic non-payer. Who ends up paying for his kids support? Tax Payers. Who pays more taxes because of people who don't pay their child support? Everyone else. That takes money away from other families.

Get it?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM

177 posts, read 332,212 times
Modern day lynching

Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,245,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Please, lets not draw this into everything being about the Coast Guard, you and I both know it isn't so why try to make it that?

Did you bother to read more about the story or did everything stop with the Coast Guard?

I guess to you, not paying child support is nothing to write home about (your words). I think there are more than a few mothers and kids who can't write home about it because for lack of child support, their homes aren't some place anyone would want to write to.

Now remember, in case you want to mis-characterize what I'm saying, I'm not in any way saying anything the man did justifies his murder so take that off the table.

Not paying child support is a big deal because that is how his kids are supposed to eat, get clothed and have a roof over their heads (along with contributions by the mother. I guess you don't see that as anything important. from your reply, that is the meaning taken and given your comment, taken correctly.

Not doing what needs to be done to pay child support is a bad choice.

Do you know how long it takes to get a warrant out for your arrest because you don't pay child support? It isn't like he missed one month, he is a chronic non-payer. Who ends up paying for his kids support? Tax Payers. Who pays more taxes because of people who don't pay their child support? Everyone else. That takes money away from other families.

Get it?
He sure can't pay any of that child support now.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,970,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
This time I have to agree the cop was in the wrong. It clearly looks like he planted the taser by the body. THIS is a real case of murder IMO.
A likely scenario (and we still don't know everything) is that the cop made horribly wrong decision and the worst one anyone could make, he took the life of someone.

Planting the Taser would not automatically make this a murder. It could be manslaughter. It does not appear to be pre-meditated because there was some struggle before the cop shot. Pre-meditated would instead point to the cop just shooting from the get go. That isn't what happened.

He also likely placed the taser there after realizing what he did. Stupid and damaging but again, that by itself doesn't make it murder.

To many, the difference between murder and manslaughter is lost and often we forget the standard to convict as a murder. In this case, even I have said it was a murder but that might not be the case.

If the cop made a bad judgement, then it wouldn't necessarily be murder even if he took a life. It comes down to intent. Firing as many rounds as he did also points to something but also doesn't by itself mean a murder.

The cop was wrong, not even a question. Now it comes down to intent. That is something we don't yet know and won't until a trial.

The trial will be the real test. If it is found not to be 1st degree murder, expect riots I think. But then, what chance does the cop have to get anything less when everyone has already decided it is murder? Remember, the definition of murder isn't just killing someone, there must be intent and the intent must go to more than the act, it goes to the reason for the act. So far, no one really knows except the cop who fired the gun.

In the rush to judgement, surely the same standards that seem to apply to every other person who kills someone should also apply here. After all, on this forum we had a thread where a woman killed a man who years before abused here and we had lots of people saying it wasn't murder even though the woman went to the man's house with a gun, years after the events took place and shot him dead. If that wasn't pre-meditated, just what is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events