Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 05:03 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
SC Police release dashcam video of the events prior to the incident taking place: South Carolina police shooting: Dash cam video released - CNN.com

It's almost surreal compared to what followed with an amiable conversation taking place between the cop and the victim.

I noticed too that there was somebody in the car with him, but there's no explanation as to who that was. .
Apparently the guy did not own the car, did not have insurance, did not have any ownership papers (registration). Did a runner while the policeman was in the car checking the tag. Why the cop went after him. Not saying this is a justification for what happened next. But as we have seen before, what was said about what happened vs what really happened, are not the same.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:09 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,026,005 times
A pretty fair summary (in spite of the error in the captioning re the painting ) on the history of race in America - from the other side of the pond ...

It's 150 years today since the end of the American Civil War – and still race divides the United States - Telegraph

Old 04-09-2015, 05:19 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
A pretty fair summary (in spite of the error in the captioning re the painting ) on the history of race in America - from the other side of the pond ...
Hmm. They left out the part that:
  • It was the British who established the economy based on slavery in the South in the first place and they profited handsomely in the slave trade. Furthermore the British empire consumed the products produce by the slave economy.
  • The British built two warships for the Confederacy as well as traded with the Confederacy during the war.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,043,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
OK, let's play that game:

Per capita numbers mean little to nothing to the overwhelming majority of young black males (and blacks in general) who are not committing violent crimes/are law abiding citizens. And, even looking at per capita numbers, you have to understand what they mean in the larger scheme of things, which, when you factor in the black population, represent a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the group. You can't separate the two. Again, black homicide victims are killed overwhelmingly by other blacks, just as whites are by other whites, etc. Last I checked, 93 % of black homicide victims were killed by other blacks. Even using your faulty logic, how in the world does that give pause to a reasonable non-black person/police officer walking down the street?? Blacks aren't killing non-blacks for the most part, just as whites aren't killing non-whites for the most part! And, going back to my point I made earlier, the odds that the black person you pass on the street is a murderer (or is going to rob you) are so overwhelmingly small that its not even funny, which makes such "fear" even more unreasonable (that's where the context of these "per capita" numbers come into play). Again, the statistics don't lie, even when referring to per capita statistics, but there are reasonable and unreasonable ways to interpret these statistics.
If your chances of being a victim of crime are so small, then why don't YOU live in Detroit or East St. Louis or the bad the parts of Baltimore or any other city that has a large black population with a high crime rate for a year and then see if you still feel you're right and the statistics are wrong?

Your reasoning is flawed because going by your logic, Honduras which has the highest murder rate on the planet at 90 murders per 100,000 would STILL be considered a very safe country since that only comes out to 7100 murders out of a population of 8.2 million. If only one person was involved with each murder than that's only 14,000 people who are murdered or have murdered in a year out of a population 8.2 million and hence by your thought process Honduras IS NOT a dangerous country at all right? Using your reasoning, both Honduras and the US would be EQUALLY SAFE since 99% of both populations are not involved in murder and hence living in Honduras just as safe as living in the US. See how stupid that sounds?

And THAT is why you use per capita rates to explain crime statistics rather than absolute numbers because that's the best way to compare how much crime a certain amount of people will commit compared to a same amount of people of a different group. IE how much murder is committed per 100,000 Hondurans compared to 100,000 Americans and as you can clearly see, the murder rate among Hondurans is ridiculously high compared to the murder rate in the US (18 times higher).

Quote:
Yours is a hyperbolic sense of fear, which leads to unfounded biases and profiling of the overwhelming majority of blacks who are doing absolutely nothing wrong. Still, for the sake of argument, based on your logic, its blacks who should be fearing other blacks, not people of other races. Yet, blacks walking down the street aren't clutching their bags walking by other blacks because they understand these things. Give me a break. A significant part of American society has long had an unfounded fear of the black male. We've seen it throughout history with the stereotype that black males would rape and kill white women, etc. (think the disgusting, yet much heralded Birth of a Nation, which was even screened at the White House for crying aloud!). We're seeing it today. There's no dispute that the black community has its problems, but your linking of those problems to the unreasonable fear of everything black is very much unreasonable.
Since your numbers are flawed, so is your reasoning. Black crime in the US is VERY HIGH. Compared to 3rd world nations black crime would be considered low, but compared to crime rates of other 1st world western countries, black crime is VERY HIGH.

You make it sound like non-blacks have an unfounded fear of blacks that's based on nothing when I've been saying all along that the main reason non-blacks and BLACKS THEMSELVES are also wary of black people is because crime among blacks is high. You see it in the crime statistics and you see it in the countless new stories and videos that are posted on the internet every single day for many years now.

You yourself wouldn't live in a ghetto black neighborhood because YOU KNOW that your chances of becoming a victim of crime rises dramatically compared to you living in a white or asian neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually they do. And this is mainly why there is so little black on white crime. What (relatively) little there is, is mainly in the form of mugging. Police do profile, and a trained police officer can usually tell which of two black men is a criminal. That does not mean he won't harass or intimidate the non-criminal. He's got a quota after all. That does not mean that people like you won't give all blacks the stiff arm even though a five year old could tell from looking at someone like myself that they are looking at a decent specimen (albeit black). How do you tell... how do you tell which white guy is the sado-masochistic piece of work headed for a long stretch in the State Prison. You know the kind... monobrow, shaved head, tattoos, facial and other piercings.... yeah he might be in a Punk Rock Band, but... if he isn't lugging an electric guitar case, you might want to find yourself somewhere else... ...
You're incorrect. There is ALOT of black on non-black crime. How do you explain the hundreds of black on non-black murders each year? Or the THOUSANDS of black on non-black robberies, assaults and random violent attacks that occur every single year? That to me doesn't sound like a minor amount of crime. Looking on the flipside though, the amount of non-black on black crime is EXTREMELY LITTLE and is why its not considered a serious problem compared to black on non-black crime.

And no I can't always tell a good black person from a bad one all the time. If you see a random black male in a hoodie walking down a street, how can you tell if he's good or bad in the few seconds that you see him? If he's in a suit, sure I think its reasonable to believe that he's not going to do you harm, but in a hoodie with his jeans hanging halfway around his legs? Yeah I don't think you can tell, so to me its better to be prepared than to be sorry.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Looks like this was turned into another race based controversy. I'm black and I could care less what happened to the man murdered or the police officer. If he didn't try fighting with him, he would still be alive. This is going to continue to happen if people don't learn to respect the law and act appropriately with the police.
So the citizenry must be obedient to the police but the police don't even have to follow the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Apparently the guy did not own the car, did not have insurance, did not have any ownership papers (registration). Did a runner while the policeman was in the car checking the tag. Why the cop went after him. Not saying this is a justification for what happened next. But as we have seen before, what was said about what happened vs what really happened, are not the same.
What we say about it is irrelevant, just like everything that happened before the shooting. The cop murdered this man and planted a weapon on him to make a false report of self-defense.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
So the citizenry must be obedient to the police but the police don't even have to follow the law?

What we say about it is irrelevant, just like everything that happened before the shooting. The cop murdered this man and planted a weapon on him to make a false report of self-defense.
If he didn't run away do you think he would have been shot ?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Since he shot the man in the back should the man filming the video have shot the officer dead???

I mean come on.

We can go tit for tat, but nobody wants to go tit for tat. Trust me.

It's why we all use caution and discretion. Running is not a death sentence.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Since he shot the man in the back should the man filming the video have shot the officer dead???

I mean come on.

We can go tit for tat, but nobody wants to go tit for tat. Trust me.

It's why we all use caution and discretion. Running is not a death sentence.
It is now. I did read in other articles that he ran because he feared for his life.
But running away from a man with a gun ?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
This ex cop needs to get the death penalty. This is something I would have expected 60 years ago, in Mississippi.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:53 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If the cop weren't a murderer do you think he would have shot this man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events