Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
What if black women not try so hard to look like white women and allow their hair to be curly instead of wearing weaves or using chemicals to straighten it out. See blacks try to be white as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Straight and/or wavy hair is not exclusive of Caucasians. I get the point you were trying to make but your example was a poor one.
Blacks that attempt to lighten their skin should be ashamed, but there are more whites that tan to become darker than there are blacks that lighten their skin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,118,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Blacks that attempt to lighten their skin should be ashamed, but there are more whites that tan to become darker than there are blacks that lighten their skin...
Tanning is a social convention that originated amongst the upper classes to announce that they had free time to be out doing athletic things in the sun. It has nothing to do with black people.

Ironically, it is the opposite of the historic norm in which nobility wanted to be as light as possible to show that they weren't out in the fields working. It shows the change of things from the lower classes working mostly outdoors to working mostly indoors in factories and sweat shops.

Learn your history, get over yourself...all of that stuff your websites profess is good advice.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Tanning is a social convention that originated amongst the upper classes to announce that they had free time to be out doing athletic things in the sun. It has nothing to do with black people.

Ironically, it is the opposite of the historic norm in which nobility wanted to be as light as possible to show that they weren't out in the fields working. It shows the change of things from the lower classes working mostly outdoors to working mostly indoors in factories and sweat shops.

Learn your history, get over yourself...all of that stuff your websites profess is good advice.
^they are right though... cultural history aside, more white people try to tan than black people try to lighten.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:53 PM

49 posts, read 78,405 times
Wait, wasn't she like 5 when the Hunger Games came out? She's gotten so big. wow.

Anyways, as a black woman, I have to agree with everything she said. It seems that only once white people adopt something from another culture that it becomes cool or appropriate. When Kendall Jenner wore cornrolls the fashion world called her "daring", while that biracial girl on Disney was called crackhead or something on the E channel. smh.

This girl may be young, but she's wise beyond her years. I wish her the best of luck and prays she doesn't end up like those other washed up white starlets. (cough: Miley)

Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
^they are right though... cultural history aside, more white people try to tan than black people try to lighten.
But it has nothing to do with "looking less white". Tanning is done to show you are part of the "leisure class", not because the tanning salon or beach-going crowd all want to be African American.

In Africa, the epidemic of whitening creams and pills is trying to look light-skinned and mixed race, or in racist systems like former South Africa to "pass" as white (or at least non-black).

Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Black women were wearing wigs and enhancing their appearance before they knew what a white woman was. @learn_your_history.com & @get_over_yourself
Are you sure about this? I will admit I am generally ignorant of the history of Sub-Saharan Africa, but I find it very hard to believe that it was common for West African tribal society to be using wigs and straighteners back then, before slavery.

I mean, it isn't very common in Africa even now. Why would it be super common back 500 years ago, with dirt-poor tribes in the African bush? They probably never even heard of a weave or human hair wig.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
A large part of the music I like is definitely rooted in black culture...

Old school rap, blues, call and response music and spirituals (says the agnostic).
Don't forget rock and roll! Born from black people and rooted in black music/styles.

Also, about the wigs.

Why do people ignore the fact that Egyptians aka Africans aka black people wore wigs? Wow. Ugh the ignorance hurts me.

Also, Indians routinely whiten. It's apart of their culture. Yet no one gets on them, and now white people want to create a 'trend' from Indian culture and their heritage. Ugh. Americans are so weird and their soft racism. Yes, black people wore wigs WELL BEFORE they knew about caucasians. Africans did it! Other cultures lighten - why is it wrong that black people do it? You take EVERYTHING that is, essentially, black culture and damn it, and then try and pretend like you're not basing all of that damning from ignorance. You are! Maybe lightening is APART of black culture, too! What's so wrong with that?!

And blacks wore wigs and makeup long before they knew about caucasians, that's apart of their culture! And now suddenly you're damning them for paying homage to what's in their blood? What's apart of their culture? God.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:09 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
What if black women not try so hard to look like white women and allow their hair to be curly instead of wearing weaves or using chemicals to straighten it out. See blacks try to be white as well.
While some black women actually prefer to straighten their hair, African hairstyles are usually frowned upon in the professional work force. Black women and men face criticism if woman's hair isn't straightened, or the man doesn't wear the "Barack Obama" hairstyle. A newscaster was scrutinized over her hairstyle a couple of years ago. Rhonda Lee, Weather Woman Fired Over Natural Hair, Has No Regrets | News One

Old 04-19-2015, 05:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
I get so fired up when I read people being fired from jobs for wearing their hair naturally. Good for that news anchor for standing up for herself and defending the charity. I also can not believe the audacity of some people in complaining about another person's hair. Though I shouldn't be surprised...remember Jennifer Livingston and more recently, Kristi Gordon? People have no concern for others' feelings, refuse to use their manners and basically have no respect for other people.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:38 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,118,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
As Giop said to Westmorland: "This is true. It is also irrelevant."

The two practices have nothing to do with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events