Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytexan View Post
you've already mentioned that you don't work so you are a full time stay at home.

When you do work full time you learn to make the best use of your free time.
I shop every 2 weeks and prepare more than enough for dinner so that we can have a "national leftover night" once a week.

I don't make fancy dishes except on the weekends and i don't cook meat every night.
Eating out once every 2-3 weeks is a treat.

And i did that for over 30 years while working full time.

Most of the young ones eat out a lot because they don't know how to cook.
What kind of cookie would you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Most people I know buy lunch everyday at work.

Assuming the average meal is in 6-10 dollars range, that could easily be 50 dollars a week on lunch alone. This isn't taking into account dinner or breakfast

Old 04-22-2015, 10:59 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
What's with all the proud "I don't cook" people out there nowadays? And the Foodies? If you are a Foodie who's focus is on eating healthy food, that's great but we seem to have a ton of Foodies who need to eat tasty stuff every meal, and usually that will be a very high calorie diet.
Most self-proclaimed foodies are just people who eat a lot but don't east fast food very often. I know people who call themselves foodies but can't fry an egg. And yeah, a lot of Gen-X'ers and Millennials are proud of eating out every meal and not knowing how to cook. I think it's some kind of status symbol for idiots who can't afford sports cars or Rolex watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I know too many people making good salaries who live paycheck to paycheck (hope they're at least putting away alot of 401K money); most of whom eat out constantly.
Same here. And I have no sympathy for them when they complain about money problems.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Assuming the average meal is in 6-10 dollars range, that could easily be 50 dollars a week on lunch alone. This isn't taking into account dinner or breakfast
I used to stop for coffee all the time when I was driving, then decided to keep track of what I spent. I was shocked to discover I spent almost $50 in a month on coffee! Now I bring it from home, along an extra thermos for later.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-22-2015 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

I saw that a lot at my job. I only ate out on Friday as a treat. Brought lunch from home and just bought a soda at the cafeteria.
A friend and I used to do Pizza Hut lunch buffet.

And many even skipped the cafeteria (on site) and opted to go to a sit down restaurant instead.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
If money is tight, that's certainly a budget category that should be cut.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well from the OP link it's not making any impact on these people as they are still eating out.

From the link:

"Nearly a third of these households admit they aren't reaching their savings goals, and 44 percent say spending big on lifestyle expenses like dining out and entertainment does a number on their bank account."

Old 04-22-2015, 11:11 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A crock pot, pressure cooker and a wok, along with some planning, can eliminate the need to eat out as much even in a busy household.
Add a food processor to that. Unless you are an Iron Chief, it takes time cutting and slicing raw veggies (stir fries). While they do sell frozen presliced veggies, they are not good for many dishes. Soggy.

Both crock pots (70's?) and pressure cookers (even older) are nothing new. There is a reason why they are still around today. It was my MIL (born 1924) who introduced me to a pressure cooker back in the 70's.

My daughters played travel sports including out of state. That really was the only times we ever ate out. No choice. Got so SICK of all that fast food on the road that the rest of the time, they WANTED home cooked meals.

Besides which, I actually like cooking from scratch. My great-grandfather was a chief at a big Manhattan hotel. Growing up, it was my DAD who did most of the cooking. Maybe it is in the genes???

309 posts, read 258,202 times
Quote:
It's one of the downsides of a two-income household; nobody's home to cook. It's time-consuming to prepare meals at home, and the typical suburban family is already squeezed between long commutes and after-school activities. Who can blame them for grabbing Subway?
Why not scrap the after-school activities and make their after-school activity teaching the kids how to cook, at least when they are at an age they can be trusted around an oven? They will be only grateful afterwards.

Quote:
If I wasn't as frugal as I was for years then I'd have to work til I was 65.
As is, I was able to live beneath my means, save more and retire early.

And I keep the same habits in retirement. I still food shop every 2 weeks and treat myself to a nice breakfast at a sit down restaurant on food shopping days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events