Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:30 PM

687 posts, read 915,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
When I heard about it on the news, and online, I missed that part. I only heard "migrants", and I don't jump to "they must be illegals".
So what you're saying is that you take what the media machine tells you at face value, never think more in depth about the choice of words (or omissions) they use, and never question anything you are told?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 PM

828 posts, read 907,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
So what you're saying is that you take what the media machine tells you at face value, never think more in depth about the choice of words (or omissions) they use, and never question anything you are told?
I would hope most intelligent people evaluate things critically and take the media with a grain of salt. By that token, I hope your critical thinking skills go both ways, not just in those issues to which you might be biased. We're all human, and undoubtedly have our biases, but some of us way more than others. In the end, I choose humaneness over suspicion when I can. That's how I'd want others to be with me.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:06 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
I think it is sad whenever young children die. Their parents' choices are not their fault.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
I didn't realize they were illegal immigrants. When I heard about it on the news, and online, I missed that part. I only heard "migrants", and I don't jump to "they must be illegals". That being said, I still think it is a tragedy, and those people had families that miss them. Some people on this forum totally lack empathy. How do you know if you came form a war torn country that you wouldn't risk your life to migrate?
That's because the politically correct media usually strips "illegal" from the phrase "illegal immigrants". If they were immigrating legally I would think they would be arriving by more conventional means.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
In the end, I choose humaneness over suspicion when I can. That's how I'd want others to be with me.
I choose logic and common sense. Tell me when you have EVER heard of 900 LEGAL immigrants arriving in a country in an overcrowded private boat?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM

828 posts, read 907,601 times
oceangaia, that is a good point. I don't defend jumping borders illegally, but I still think it's a sad thing to happen to those people.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,075,652 times
The sea is an unforgiving place!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/21/wo...izes.html?_r=0

This is very sad news indeed. I made this thread to see what others felt about this matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I know this will sound callous, but I find it hard to work up too much concern about this. Europe is being invaded by Third World barbarians who are bent on subjugating or killing the indigenous inhabitants and eradicating their culture and instead imposing their own backwards way of life. If some of these invaders die in the attempt, it can only be a benefit to Europe.
It is always tempting to want the happy ending, with the warm puppy thrown in . No one likes the idea of people drowning. It is obvious that Europe cannot and will not assimilate these people. If they are rescued they will inevitably wind up coming to the some of the same places that took the Vietnamese boat people, that is the U.S. Canada and Australia. The healthier policy, unfortunately, is to make it public knowlege that getting on a boat may lead to death, not a free pass to the West. The way I see it virtually the entire continent of Africa (except maybe South Africa) and much of the Levant couild depopulate and the people wind up in the West. We have no place for 2 billion people even though that is probably the number being subject to misery or worse by their governments or societies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The Europeans need to send proper ships to shuttle these people from Africa to Europe.
Do you want to house them?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:13 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Human migration is the reason there are people living on North America, and its normal for humans to move to find a better life for themselves.

Incidents like this make me wonder what decisions I would make if I was just an innocent person born into a war-torn, poverty-stricken region.

I don't believe there are any easy answers.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Human migration is the reason there are people living on North America, and its normal for humans to move to find a better life for themselves.

Incidents like this make me wonder what decisions I would make if I was just an innocent person born into a war-torn, poverty-stricken region.

I don't believe there are any easy answers.
The difference is that your ancestors knew no on e in the U.S. would take care of them. They were coming fully expecting to be on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events