Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Human migration is the reason there are people living on North America, and its normal for humans to move to find a better life for themselves.

Incidents like this make me wonder what decisions I would make if I was just an innocent person born into a war-torn, poverty-stricken region.

I don't believe there are any easy answers.
I wouldn't blame a hungry lion for wanting to kill and eat me, but that doesn't mean I would willingly let him do it, and I would do everything I could including killing it to prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I wouldn't blame a hungry lion for wanting to kill and eat me, but that doesn't mean I would willingly let him do it, and I would do everything I could including killing it to prevent it.
And the West has been doing exactly that.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Human migration is the reason there are people living on North America, and its normal for humans to move to find a better life for themselves.

Incidents like this make me wonder what decisions I would make if I was just an innocent person born into a war-torn, poverty-stricken region.

I don't believe there are any easy answers.
The reason these incidents are happening is because these people are trying to migrate to countries who don't want them. As such, 'normal' and safe modes of transport are not open to them. Obviously, they consider the potential reward of succeeding to be worth the risk. But these incidents will continue happening because Europe is simply not going to open its doors to tens of millions of Africans.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:37 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
How come they all sank in a one-week span?

This sounds a bit nefarious to me.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,113,070 times
This thread is an interesting read . . .

Hypothetical:

Because of some super dire country-wide situation (e.g., raising sea level, famine, drought, Ebola-like disease, Biblical flood, war, etc.), 320 million people have to leave the USA in very, very short order, or face certain death, horrible diseases or starvation. Of course, we ain't dumb, we try to migrate to Canada and Mexico, as well to other nations. They are all very gracious, but they can only accept 1 million Americans each. So most us have nowhere to go. Legally, that is.

Would you try to sneak into another country to save your life (or at least not starve)? Your family? Since you'd have no permission to be present in the country, you can't work, drive and so on. You'd have to exist in the shadows and live an undignified life.

Would you be an illegal, or would you just curl up in the corner in the good ol' USA with your family and y'all can die quietly or, at the very least, just suffer immensely?

Think about it. When the table turns, you might just do what you condemn. While I agree that every nation has the right to control its sovereign borders, there is no reason to be so friggin' hateful. Hundreds of people died here. Have a heart. Isn't that what that big book tells you to do? Or is there an illegal (colored) immigration exception in there?

Mick

Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times
These capsizings seem to happen every other month. I have one suggestion for all of these third/fourth-world ferrymen... make two trips.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:06 AM

828 posts, read 907,601 times
MTQ3000 / Mick, perfect post. That's the kind-hearted American spirit I know. Always remember, there but by the grace of God go I.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:30 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
This thread is an interesting read . . .

Hypothetical:

Because of some super dire country-wide situation (e.g., raising sea level, famine, drought, Ebola-like disease, Biblical flood, war, etc.), 320 million people have to leave the USA in very, very short order, or face certain death, horrible diseases or starvation. Of course, we ain't dumb, we try to migrate to Canada and Mexico, as well to other nations. They are all very gracious, but they can only accept 1 million Americans each. So most us have nowhere to go. Legally, that is.

Would you try to sneak into another country to save your life (or at least not starve)? Your family? Since you'd have no permission to be present in the country, you can't work, drive and so on. You'd have to exist in the shadows and live an undignified life.

Would you be an illegal, or would you just curl up in the corner in the good ol' USA with your family and y'all can die quietly or, at the very least, just suffer immensely?

Think about it. When the table turns, you might just do what you condemn. While I agree that every nation has the right to control its sovereign borders, there is no reason to be so friggin' hateful. Hundreds of people died here. Have a heart. Isn't that what that big book tells you to do? Or is there an illegal (colored) immigration exception in there?

Mick
There was a SciFi film like that with severe icing of the North. Mexico was turning away USA folk at their border. The irony I thought.

As for the loss of life- Dreadful
Ship being overload- Reprehensible
Southern Europe's current situation- not my problem

I am in Miami and have experience a similar situation with Cuban exiles. The first batch were the middle/professional class and were not provided social services. It was on their own to make something of themselves and most if not all did. They Americanized as well but with a unique Cuban flavor. The later arrivals were of the lower classes and received considerable social assistance which really does not appear to have Americanized them much to the detriment of Miami. So I can see why Italy, in this case, does not want they people in their country.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-23-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 AM

828 posts, read 907,601 times
Felix C, that was the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". I'll never forget how hard the audience laughed during that scene, and the applause at the perfect irony the filmmakers displayed.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Migrant boat sinks off Libya with up to 900 feared dead | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events