Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 01:15 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I didn't see anything in your link regarding your claim of 100 deaths from measles. Do you have a source for that?

Your link also does not say that the Japanese went without measles mumps and rubella vaccination, they just used separate vaccines for each disease rather then the mmr vaccine. Any source for your claim that they stopped vaccination for these illnesses?

They went to an ineffective one time immunization system instead.

Quote:

Japan’s previous practice of one-time vaccination failed to confer immunity in many cases, leading to a widespread measles outbreak among people between 10 and 30 in 2007 that forced the closure of the entire university system.
“Measles infections usually peak between spring and summer,” said Keiko Taya, chief of the institute’s Infectious Disease Surveillance Center. “The high number of patients at the onset of the year raises concern over an outbreak.”
Signs arrive of Japan's latest measles outbreak | The Japan Times

Quote:
Japan has been confronting the problems of uncontrolled measles for more than a decade now, and WHO has taken the initiative to eliminate measles worldwide. Despite these global efforts, however, measles is still endemic in Japan: there were an estimated 200 000 cases and 88 deaths (mainly in children) in 2000.1, 2 But measles is not only a domestic problem. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that Japan is the country that exports measles to the USA most frequently.3
Quote:
Since 1994, the Japanese government has played a very passive part in the formulation of vaccine policies, mainly because of strong public opposition to the reinforcement of mandatory vaccination. As a consequence, the general public has not been well educated on vaccine-preventable diseases and is not aware of the significance of those diseases. Measles vaccine coverage rates are lower than in other countries such as the USA, where domestic measles has been almost eliminated. Moreover, even though many countries have already implemented a two-dose regimen of measles vaccine, Japan has not. Until January, 2004, administration of measles vaccine was recommended between 12 and 24 months of age, instead of between 12 and 15 months when children have the greatest risk of contracting measles. There is no established system to check vaccination status on entry to the school systems.
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...715-9/fulltext

After they removed the MMR vaccine, Japan made vaccination optional, shortly after, vaccination rates tumbled while measles and rubella cases spiked.

Their vaccination system has been largely passive and ineffective, the rates of vaccination, consequently have tumbled and the country has suffered from serious measles and rubella outbreaks in recent years. Globally, Japan is recognized as a measles "exporter."

Old 08-04-2015, 01:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Why would they be, no sane person has some irrational fear of vaccination.
His fellow congresspeople were sitting next to him with whooping cough. He was an UNDERvaccinated (Tdap Adult booster). No different than an unvaccinated child WITHOUT whooping cough sitting next to vaccinated children in public school. Actually since this congressman had the disease, it was worse.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
His fellow congresspeople were sitting next to him with whooping cough. He was an UNDERvaccinated (Tdap Adult booster). No different than an unvaccinated child WITHOUT whooping cough sitting next to vaccinated children in public school. Actually since this congressman had the disease, it was worse.

Might be good to promote better awareness for adults to update their vaccinations, doesn't take much time at all. I had my all my shots as a child, received additional vaccinations when in the military and got all my boosters a couple years ago when I was volunteering at the health department. Haven't grown a third arm or third eye yet, but hey, its still early I guess.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
I have no problem with a teenager making the decision for herself.
The problem with this is that they keep pushing the child consent age lower and lower. Should an 11 or 9 year old be able to consent to ANY medical treatment? I do not think so.

I remember when my then 11 year old could not bring Advil into school, with my permission, for menstrual cramps. They cannot bring OTC medication in for cramps, but they can consent to a HPV vaccination? No way at 11 years old.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
They went to an ineffective one time immunization system instead.

Signs arrive of Japan's latest measles outbreak | The Japan Times

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...715-9/fulltext

After they removed the MMR vaccine, Japan made vaccination optional, shortly after, vaccination rates tumbled while measles and rubella cases spiked.

Their vaccination system has been largely passive and ineffective, the rates of vaccination, consequently have tumbled and the country has suffered from serious measles and rubella outbreaks in recent years. Globally, Japan is recognized as a measles "exporter."
Thank you for sharing your source. I still think that taking a cautious approach is best when faced with reports of serious side effects. In the case of HPV the risk from cervical cancer is very low with routine paps so forgoing the HPV vaccine until safety can be assured make a lot of sense to me. It is still a choice for people in Japan to get it but is not mandated. I think it should remain a choice in all 50 states as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The problem with this is that they keep pushing the child consent age lower and lower. Should an 11 or 9 year old be able to consent to ANY medical treatment? I do not think so.
agreed, that is too young. 16 or 17? maybe.

Quote:
I remember when my then 11 year old could not bring Advil into school, with my permission, for menstrual cramps. They cannot bring OTC medication in for cramps, but they can consent to a HPV vaccination? No way at 11 years old.
Yes, that is very hypocritical.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
So...the vaccination is NOT absolute? And they admit it has mercury and other crap in it...things we KNOW are NOT safe.
There is no mercury in current children's vaccines. Even flu vaccine, in single dose form, is available without it.

The ingredients in vaccines have been shown to be safe as millions of doses have been administered without serious adverse effects.

Quote:
Maybe Congress needs to pass a law mandating vaccinations for Congress?????? You are FIRED if you are not vaccinated! lol He walked all around, flying on planes, etc., for a month before he was diagnosed with whooping cough.

His quote in the article says he was vaccinated in childhood. Of course, as Suzy says, the majority of adults are up to date on their vaccinations. Well, maybe not if they are politicians. Do as we SAY, not as we DO?
The majority of adults are immune to pertussis, otherwise we would see bigger outbreaks than we do. You seem to have the impression that everyone who has not received a pertussis booster has lost protection from childhood vaccines. That is not true; many are still immune. That's what I have been saying all along

Many adults are now updating their vaccines. The Tdap is recommended to replace only one dose of the combined diphtheria + tetanus vaccine, so adults who have not had it should get it when they are due for their next every ten year tetanus + diphtheria booster. It can be given at any time, though; it's not necessary to wait ten years. Adults who are going to be around infants and small children should go on and take it. Not doing so is extremely irresponsible. Pregnant women should take it with each pregnancy, to provide temporary protection to their newborns until their babies can start the vaccine.

Quote:
I'm not ignoring anything. The number of people for whom the vaccine does not work is small.
It's a small number but not insignificant, despite your effort to make it seem so. Trivializing the effects of not vaccinating is something anti-vaccinationists do quite well. It's a form of denial, the belief that vaccine preventable diseases are not dangerous. No one dies from them any more, right? They conveniently ignore the fact that the reason these diseases do not kill more people than they do is because, fortunately, most people vaccinate against them.

Quote:
That's not a free choice. There is absolutely zero reason to ban students from attending school for not having the HPV vaccine. By supporting the HPV mandate for schools, it weakens your argument that school mandates are need to protect those who are vulnerable. Clearly, kids are not in danger of contracting HPV in the classroom.
No one should take a vaccine unless he understands the risks and benefits and freely chooses to do so. Mandates do protect those who are vulnerable. They do protect the people who actually take them, too, you know. RI has decided that protecting the individual is just as important as protecting the vulnerable who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons.

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware, it's suspended from the "required" list due to concerns over safety. Too bad our health authorities do not take the severe reactions that some have experienced more seriously.
It was suspended from the recommended list. Required and recommended are not synonyms.

Concerns about HPV vaccines have been taken seriously. They have just been shown to be without merit. Vaccines do not cause autism. They do not cause SIDS. They do not cause MS. The list of conditions parents are blaming on HPV vaccine is endless. If 1000 parents report 1000 different things that they "believe" vaccines caused, the probability that the vaccine caused any of those things is small. That you believe internet anecdotes are data proving HPV vaccine is dangerous just confirms your anti-science point of view. You believe the anecdotes, but you have steadfastly refused to provide any real evidence to support your opinion.

Why should the US emulate Japan and not Canada, Australia, New Zealand or the UK? Japan still uses oral polio vaccine. Should the US do that, too?

Japan suspended recommendation of the HPV vaccine based on unsupported junk science. The US should not do the same.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:34 PM

The looney anti-vax fringe is completely out of control after the California legislation passed.

Meet the New, Dangerous Fringe of the Anti-Vaccination Movement

A Facebook message sent to an 11 year old girl of a pro-vaccination activist.

Quote:
"Your mother is a fat, ugly piece of **** who tried to kill you. She is a bully and suffers from mental problems."

Quote:
One woman who’s testified in favor of the bill—who also asked not to be named, for fear of drawing more troll attention—said that photos of her, her husband and her baby have been tweeted by anti-vaxxers. The day after she spoke in favor of the bill at a public hearing, she saw groups on Facebook speculating that she was affiliated with Merck, the drug company.

“I went home and they’d started posting all my stuff to their Facebook group,” she says. “Things like, ‘She’s an investor paid by Merck. I’ve never met anybody from Merck in my entire life.’”

Quote:

In an email sent to Jezebel in May, the same woman said the group also speculated about whether someone needed to call Child Protective Services on her.

“Today the anti-vaxxers were discussing calling CPS on me because they think I have ‘mental health problems,’’ she wrote. “They think if they file a case report someone will come to my house and discover that my son is in danger, and then I will leave them alone. They have no boundaries.”
Quote:
He says now that he meant “follow the money.” But the video, posted on Facebook (and recently removed), sent the campaign against Hicks, a 43-year-old mother of three, into warp speed.
“Hey, Jodi!” someone yelled as she crossed the street. When she turned, a bevy of red-shirted “No on SB 277” women snapped her picture. Moments later, it was up on Twitter.
“#wheresJodi,” the caption sneered. “#DevilWithTheBlueDress.”
“There’s a special place in hell for you, just waiting,” warned the mean tweets.
“#wearewatchingyou.”
“People were on blogs saying, if somebody shoots my kids with needles, maybe we should shoot these lobbyists,” said Hicks’ understandably distraught husband, Paul Mitchell. “And here’s the president of this association, actually inciting people to stalk my wife.”

Read more here: Opinion: When lobbying becomes vigilantism | The Sacramento Bee

Opinion: When lobbying becomes vigilantism | The Sacramento Bee

Quote:
The man Hicks refers to is Brian Stenzler, president of the California Chiropractic Association, who was seen on a video telling two anti-vaccination protesters to follow Hicks and another lobbyist “all day long.” Last month, the California Medical Association sent Stenzler a warning letter. From the Sacramento Bee:
Quote:

“Your video instructing people to stalk the lobbyists has the potential to turn an already volatile situation into an explosive one with very grave consequences,” the CMA’s letter to Stenzler says, directing him to halt “all activities that could incite, lead to, or result in harm to CMA employees or others involved in the SB 277 debate and to send a strong message to your members and your constituents to do the same.” The letter from the doctors group warns it will take “all necessary action to protect our employees and representatives.”

Quote:
Meanwhile, Senator Richard Pan, the co-author of SB 277, has received death threats at work, been subjected to memes depicting him as Hitler and had photos of his house posted in anti-vax Facebook groups.

Quote:

Allison Hagood is a professor of psychology in Colorado and co-author of a book about childhood vaccinations called Your Baby’s Best Shot: Why Vaccines are Safe and Save Lives. She’s also an administrator for aforementioned Anti-Vax Wall of Shame. She claims her address has been posted in anti-vax Facebook groups, along with well wishes like “Have fun, you stupid *****.”
“They’ve posted my email address at work on that same page as well as my phone number,” she says. Her employer started getting emails, complaining that she shouldn’t be allowed to teach.

After their address was posted, Hagood says, she and her boyfriend purchased extra flood lights for their front yard, so they could see intruders more easily, and asked police to increase patrols through their neighborhood.
“I think it’s very important for people to understand that the nature of the anti-vax movement is not just parents who have concerns about vaccine or have heard things and are hesitant,” she says. “There’s a core group that are irrational to the point of dangerousness.”
Quote:

“One of the big tropes [in the anti-vaccination movement] is that [pro-vaccination forces] are trying to silence their opponents,” says Dorit Reiss. She’s a law professor at UC Hastings who’s written extensively on the legal issues surrounding vaccination, including the personal exemption fight. “Remember, we’re talking about a movement who is persisting in their beliefs—and I think they’re very sincere in those beliefs—in the face of abundant data. The only way they can explain it all away is if there’s a grand conspiracy to hide the truth, and everyone who goes agains them is part of that conspiracy.”

That includes Reiss, of course. The popular anti-vaccination blog Age of Autism has implied that she’s a paid shill for Big Pharma. (Reiss says she is not paid by anyone other than UC Hastings, where she teaches.)

“There’s always been an ‘everyone is a shill approach’ among anti-vaxxers,” Reiss says, “as well as hostility, in my experience. But right now they’re feeling especially threatened. There’s legislation for vaccination requirements in multiple states. For someone who really believes that either that vaccines are poison or that vaccines injured their kids, it’s scary.”

Old 08-04-2015, 01:49 PM

Not sure what your point is, Juram. A few unstable individuals do not represent the views of the whole. There are extremists on both sides of the issue. The vast majority on both sides are just regular people trying to do the best for their children.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one should take a vaccine unless he understands the risks and benefits and freely chooses to do so.
Exactly the reason why mandates are unethical and wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events