Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:44 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We were almost in that situation a few months ago.

Coming out of a restaurant, we noticed in the car next to us a small dog sitting in there. The windows were rolled up, doors locked. The dog appeared ok, but it was over 100 degrees that day. Not knowing what to do, I went back inside the restaurant and asked the manager to see if the dog's owner was in the restaurant. Just then, the owner came out, she had bought some take out. She appeared angry at first that we were interfering, but then did a change of attitude. she explained to us the engine was indeed running, and the AC on. It was a Prius, and we didn't feel the engine vibrate or running. She thanked us for our concern about the dog, and we thanked her for the little lesson in how a Prius runs!

No, I wouldn't knock in the windows, or call police, unless the animal appeared in distress, which this dog was not.

Its a judgment call. Many times such "good Samaritans" are really trying to show off
Wow! Yeah, I can see how that appeared to be a scary situation for the pup. That is the perfect example of a situation that could have escalated quickly had someone busted that window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 AM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The cop should be fired.

1. What he did to the woman was abusive.
2. He failed to even make a point with the woman.

This cop is a total failure.

How was it abusive? It is common for officers to have violators sit in the vehicle when issuing a citation, running a tag, checking registration, no? The woman had the windows rolled up and said the dog was fine sitting in the car, there was no problem, the inside of the vehicle was fine, windows rolled up and all. So what's the problem?

And how do we know the officer didn't make a point?

Old 04-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I was wondering about just that sort of hypothetical. Some people on here truly do value the lives of random animals over those of their fellow human being. That's just messed up.

Folks, you are getting riled up over a DOG. Please, take a step back from your computer, and think about what you're writing.
Dog, child. How many children died last year from being left in vehicles? The point is not that it was a dog or a child. The point is the lack of responsibility, indifference, ignorance or just plain being spread too thin needs to be addressed when it is causing undo harm, suffering and death. There is no excuse for it.

I don't think anyone is saying a dogs life is greater than a child's life. There is no excuse for leaving any living thing locked in a hot car. Its pretty messed up that some people think its ok to let a dog or other animal suffer such a death because it just an animal.

The lady was absent minded or stupid enough to leave her dog locked in a hot car, there is just a chance next time it could be her kid. If this officer can prevent just one, one child from suffering such a fate by using a dog as an example its well worth the lady sitting in her own car she admittedly stated was fine for a few minutes while a citation was written.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Some posters here are total pantywaisters.

As police we can
Have a cordial conversation
Have a counseling session
Have a counseling session and issue a warning notice
Have a counseling session and issue a citation
Make an arrest
Any combination of the above
I as a general course of best practice show people what they did wrong and why.. from equipment code violation up to an arrest... an arrest makes other options moot

The panty waisters would try to say ..you can't do that ..how dare you treat people in that manner and show people what they did wrong... arrest them ..
I say total bunk... for all the warnings I give to people about mj for example..all I hear on here from whiners is how I'm ruining the lives of mj users.. total crap

This lady got everything she deserved and more .. hope she gets community service at the dog shelter...
Just how did this story really come to light anyway... surely not from the policeman .. perhaps from a disgruntled citation recipient ?
People get tweaked over little stuff.. especially liberal nanny state types that call for government intervention in all things until it applies to them personally . There has been a least one story of a police k9 officer going to jail for letting his dog die in a hot car... works for me

The officer will not be fired.. nor will he receive discipline.. this is simple police work ... time for you who think otherwise to step up and stop whining
All life is sacred to me.. which is why I've been vegan for... forever ..

Whiners get a life... want an arrest or ticket everytime you screw up just ask and we will be most happy to provide that service too... many people talk themselves into the above when cordial contact or counseling fails.

Good job officer
#alllivesmatter

Last edited by notmeofficer; 04-29-2015 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Dog, child. How many children died last year from being left in vehicles? The point is not that it was a dog or a child. The point is the lack of responsibility, indifference, ignorance or just plain being spread too thin needs to be addressed when it is causing undo harm, suffering and death. There is no excuse for it.

I don't think anyone is saying a dogs life is greater than a child's life. There is no excuse for leaving any living thing locked in a hot car. Its pretty messed up that some people think its ok to let a dog or other animal suffer such a death because it just an animal.

The lady was absent minded or stupid enough to leave her dog locked in a hot car, there is just a chance next time it could be her kid. If this officer can prevent just one, one child from suffering such a fate by using a dog as an example its well worth the lady sitting in her own car she admittedly stated was fine for a few minutes while a citation was written.
I agree with this all the way 2mares....like I said above..the woman was just skirting the issue trying to show the officer it wasn't hot...denying the OBVIOUS.....

Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:

Can't rep you again!!!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
He practically tortured her. That isn't a cop's job.

The cop should be questioned. He smells like a deranged person on the making.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Some posters here are total pantywaisters.

As police we can
Have a cordial conversation
Have a counseling session
Have a counseling session and issue a warning notice
Have a counseling session and issue a citation
Make an arrest
Any combination of the above
I as a general course of best practice show people what they did wrong and why.. from equipment code violation up to an arrest... an arrest makes other options moot

The panty waisters would try to say ..you can't do that ..how dare you treat people in that manner and show people what they did wrong... arrest them ..
I say total bunk... for all the warnings I give to people about mj for example..all I hear on here from whiners is how I'm ruining the lives of mj users.. total crap

This lady got everything she deserved and more .. hope she gets community service at the dog shelter...
Just how did this story really come to light anyway... surely not from the policeman .. perhaps from a disgruntled citation recipient ?
People get tweaked over little stuff.. especially liberal nanny state types that call for government intervention in all things until it applies to them personally . There has been a least one story of a police k9 officer going to jail for letting his dog die in a hot car... works for me

The officer will not be fired.. nor will he receive discipline.. this is simple police work ... time for you who think otherwise to step up and stop whining
All life is sacred to me.. which is why I've been vegan for... forever ..

Whiners get a life... want an arrest or ticket everytime you screw up just ask and we will be most happy to provide that service too... many people talk themselves into the above when cordial contact or counseling fails.

Good job officer
#alllivesmatter
Well Officer Friendly, I totally agree with you. Personally if I did something stupid Id prefer a lecture or lesson from an officer over a ticket or arrest anytime.

I'm over 50 and have spent many years in a rural community so I remember a time when police officers were actually respected and admired for their personal involvement in the community including a sort of pseudo parenting when necessary as well as promoting all sorts of public awareness campaigns.

It seems today an increasing segment of our society has been conditioned to live by scripts written and handed down by the powers that be, I can only imagine to abide by our overly PC world. In doing so we are losing our ability to think independently, reason and apply logic and therefore can not rationally deviate or comprehend any deviation from that script. This is apparent in the argument that the officer taking it upon himself to ask the woman to sit in her "not hot" car in order to impress upon her the wrongfulness of her actions is the equivalent of pushing an intoxicated persons car over a cliff.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
He practically tortured her. That isn't a cop's job.

The cop should be questioned. He smells like a deranged person on the making.
Dude, she sat in the car while he wrote a citation. Granted being cited can seem like torture to some but the woman said the car is not hot, its fine. How is sitting in your car torture? What should he have done, provided a throne for her to sit upon complete with servants fanning her with emu feathers and hand feeding her grapes.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Quote:
Dude, she sat in the car while he wrote a citation. Granted being cited can seem like torture to some but the woman said the car is not hot, its fine. How is sitting in your car torture? What should he have done, provided a throne for her to sit upon complete with servants fanning her with emu feathers and hand feeding her grapes.
And those grapes better be organic!

The woman is an irresponsible idiot, and so is everyone else who leaves a living creature in a hot car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events