Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The thing is though it's a mistake they most likely won't be held accountable for. I had a sales job in the past that required me to go to people's homes. Over the course of 10 plus years I easily set foot on over 5,000 private properties in both day and night. I've had more dog incidents than I care to count. Somehow I miraculously managed to emerge unscathed without ever killing a dog. How about mail carriers who go onto probably 500+ private properties every day? When was the last time one of them killed a dog? The reason cops kill dogs all the time is they know they can get away with it. Rather than trying to somehow escape or avoid the situation and avoid killing someone's dog their first and only concern is me me me and bang.

Exactly, Rick. Sales people, and postal workers are but two examples.

People need to STOP making excuses for COPS. They are obviously a different breed of person. They seem to thrive on violence and brutality. And killing. They like that too.

Obviously we do need a police force. However, we need to evaluate the screening process and make changes when it comes to psychological evaluation. Something is very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Cops are humans. They make mistakes. Have you ever looked a number or word wrong, or misheard if someone told you a number over the phone? He might have only gotten the address from a dispatcher over the radio. He could have easily misheard or even just remembered the wrong number. I'm not saying that what he did was right, but condemning him saying he "can't read" is so unfounded and you know it.
The consequences of me getting a number wrong exist, certainly, but this is different. I don't carry a gun. I don't have police training, and I, by virtue of not having a gun, would not be equipped to slaughter a dog, or a human.

He had a gun, and if getting a simple street address right is a challenge, maybe he shouldn't be authorized and capable of taking a life.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks
Because we all know that cops are above the law, the courts will do nothing to punish them. I would want the cop to feel the same pain and loss that I experienced. If you kill one of my family members, I will respond in kind.
Its totally understandable!!

Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
The consequences of me getting a number wrong exist, certainly, but this is different. I don't carry a gun. I don't have police training, and I, by virtue of not having a gun, would not be equipped to slaughter a dog, or a human.

He had a gun, and if getting a simple street address right is a challenge, maybe he shouldn't be authorized and capable of taking a life.
Again, it could have been the dispatcher. He could have gone to the address that he was given.

As long as police officers are human, there are going to be human errors. No matter how much training one might have, errors are going to happen. It is human nature. Until we have robocops running around, mistakes will happen. It's an unfortunate fact of life. Expecting humans to be perfect because they carry a gun is going to disappoint you time and time again.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Again, it could have been the dispatcher. He could have gone to the address that he was given.

As long as police officers are human, there are going to be human errors. No matter how much training one might have, errors are going to happen. It is human nature. Until we have robocops running around, mistakes will happen. It's an unfortunate fact of life. Expecting humans to be perfect because they carry a gun is going to disappoint you time and time again.
You know, I can see your point -- I can. But this stuff happens too often. We expect pilots and surgeons ad air traffic controllers to be accurate and they are selected for their abilities. And, importantly, their performance is monitored, and corrected where possible. I wonder how selective police departments are?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:45 AM

12,221 posts, read 2,963,596 times
The thing about police these days is the good ones need to police the bad ones or they all look bad. Just sayin'.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I based that on a video posted here months ago that still disturbs me a great deal...it was when police were looking for a lost child in people's backyards, and they shot a dog that was only doing HIS job, barking when they went in HIS fenced yard...when the owner, devastated and heartbroken, confronts them (all on video) tearfully asking them why they shot his best friend, you can see them all holding back snickers, they were so snotty and dismissive in their responses to him. That bothered me and still bothers me more than anything in the case.
Same here. That was Geist, btw, the murdered Weimaraner. Here's his puppy picture:

Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
You know, I can see your point -- I can. But this stuff happens too often. We expect pilots and surgeons ad air traffic controllers to be accurate and they are selected for their abilities. And, importantly, their performance is monitored, and corrected where possible. I wonder how selective police departments are?
I'm not at all against officers having their performance monitored and corrected where possible. I'm all for that. I think that whatever caused this mistake needs to be investigated thoroughly and corrective action needs to be taken, including retraining the officer if that is what it takes. I'm sure there are lots of things that this department could change that would help prevent this from happening again.

The thing is, most people here are acting this is a terrible cop who shot a dog because it looked at him wrong. The officer went to the wrong house and shot a big dog, that is said in the article to bark at everyone at the door, so I would guess he would bark at someone in his backyard as well, that was charging at him.

This could have been an outstanding officer who happened to make a mistake and screw up. It's bound to happen. It doesn't mean he's a terrible person and a dirty cop.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Same here. That was Geist, btw, the murdered Weimaraner. Here's his puppy picture:
OMG, so precious! I know he was grown when killed, but he was still his owner's "baby", and the man deserved more empathy and respect than was shown to him. It's not just that act that gets me, it's how cold and callous they are about it, even in the formality of the statements they release about these cases...there is no indication they understand or empathize in the slightest with the human suffering generated by their "mistake".

Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not at all against officers having their performance monitored and corrected where possible. I'm all for that. I think that whatever caused this mistake needs to be investigated thoroughly and corrective action needs to be taken, including retraining the officer if that is what it takes. I'm sure there are lots of things that this department could change that would help prevent this from happening again.

The thing is, most people here are acting this is a terrible cop who shot a dog because it looked at him wrong. The officer went to the wrong house and shot a big dog, that is said in the article to bark at everyone at the door, so I would guess he would bark at someone in his backyard as well, that was charging at him.

This could have been an outstanding officer who happened to make a mistake and screw up. It's bound to happen. It doesn't mean he's a terrible person and a dirty cop.
I was thinking about that, too. He might have 20 years of outstanding service and a file filled with commendations. And no, we don't know. And as we don't know, we real can't add to the conversation by speculating more.

Good exchange, J24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events