Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:41 PM

402 posts, read 369,175 times

Advertisements

I agree, it's a terrible situation to be in and Baltimore better watch out or they're going to have a mere shell of the police force they had previously, either through departures or ineffectiveness due to poor morale. But at the same time I would say that if the cops don't like the situation or working conditions then they need to quit, not continue to pull salary and benefits while refusing to do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
"DOJ’s civil rights investigation into the Ferguson criminal justice system found that authorities have routinely violated the rights of black citizens and have used tickets to generate revenue for the city."

"Many police officers “appear to see some residents, especially those who live in Ferguson’s predominately African-American neighborhoods, less as constituents to be protected than as potential offenders and sources of revenue,” in part due to city policies, according to the report."

DOJ Issues Damning Report On Ferguson Police, Courts

My question is even after this was release why is not anybody here putting the blame on cops as well?
Because it was a politically motivated report. The DOJ knew that nothing wrong happened in the Ferguson case, but you had people burning down the city and everyone convinced that the police force were a bunch of jack-booted thugs, so they had to come up with a damning report, or Holder would be a laughingstock.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
The police in Baltimore were accused of "discriminatory policing, excessive force and unconstitutional searches and arrests".

Now they are worried that they themselves will be arrested if they merely stop someone on suspicion of a crime even if it leads to probable cause.

And now the people are crying that there are no cops around when crimes are being committed.

You just can't make people happy, can you. The crimes are being committed in a predominately Black area of town yet the police are discriminating against Blacks ? You just can't make this stuff up folks.

Baltimore Residents Fearful Amid Rash Of Homicides « CBS Baltimore

Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Don't know if you saw but someone posted the race of the victims this month and it seemed more or less about 90% black victims murdered.
Black or White, a welfare thug is a welfare thug. Fact is the MAJORITY of violent crimes committed have "history". Use to be lovers, drug deal gone wrong, some owes someone....the amount of "random/no previous history" violence is NOT what we are talking here.

I am not at all surprised by the 90% black numbers, it only makes sense since the majority of the residents in that area are. Law of Averages plays that one out.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:40 PM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Black or White, a welfare thug is a welfare thug. Fact is the MAJORITY of violent crimes committed have "history". Use to be lovers, drug deal gone wrong, some owes someone....the amount of "random/no previous history" violence is NOT what we are talking here.

I am not at all surprised by the 90% black numbers, it only makes sense since the majority of the residents in that area are. Law of Averages plays that one out.
Apparently black lives don't matter to other blacks including the mayor of Baltganistan. Black lives only matter if taken at the hand of a non black or cop.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
I'm not surprised about this, and I understand why cops are pulling back, but it seems kinda petulant to me. In what other career field can you get away with not doing your job because someone hurt your feelings?
Being prosecuted and maybe sent to prison is a teensy more than hurt feelings.

The slightest wrong decision to pursue someone who's fleeing or a debatable arrest, zap, your life is ruined. Those cops understandably don't trust their chief, the mayor, and especially the prosecutor.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You just can't make people happy, can you. The crimes are being committed in a predominately Black area of town yet the police are discriminating against Blacks ? You just can't make this stuff up folks.

Baltimore Residents Fearful Amid Rash Of Homicides « CBS Baltimore
Funny how 38 people get killed and 91 injured by guns (most of them black) in one month in Baltimore and people talk about socioeconomic issues, the role of police in the community, etc. But when a nutjob kills his mother and 26 other (mostly) white people, all the media can talk about for months is background checks, gun control, and banning "assault weapons." Hmmm...

Here are four things I want to know about this "epidemic of gun violence":
1) How many of the murders in Baltimore this year were committed with "assault weapons"?
2) How many of the murderers purchased their guns legally and underwent a background check, fingerprinting, and mandatory training to obtain a firearms possession permit?
3) How many of the people carrying guns referenced in the article have valid concealed carry permits?
4) Where is the national outcry for gun control in the wake of all this gun violence? Or do we not care because of the color of the victims?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
4) Where is the national outcry for gun control in the wake of all this gun violence? Or do we not care because of the color of the victims?
There is no outcry for gun control because that isn't the solution to the issue at hand. i.e.
  • Criminals use guns to break laws.
  • Lets create more laws to stop criminals.
Makes absolutely no sense.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There is no outcry for gun control because that isn't the solution to the issue at hand. i.e.
  • Criminals use guns to break laws.
  • Lets create more laws to stop criminals.
Makes absolutely no sense.
Which will only impact law abiding citizens.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Being prosecuted and maybe sent to prison is a teensy more than hurt feelings.

The slightest wrong decision to pursue someone who's fleeing or a debatable arrest, zap, your life is ruined. Those cops understandably don't trust their chief, the mayor, and especially the prosecutor.
To be clear, the people who are currently pulling back on enforcement are not the ones who are under indictment, as those officers are already on administrative leave.

"Hurt feelings" is an unfair oversimplification, but basically the officers still on the beat are upset about their buddies getting indicted and thus decided to not enforce things as closely as they are generally expected to.

Like I said, I understand where they're coming from and I wouldn't be stoked to work there either, but my point was there are few if any other professions where this sort of thing would fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events