Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 01:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times

Advertisements

Yikes, this is like the PETA people throwing buckets of blood on wearers of fur coats. Sorry, you can't destroy someone's property just because you don't like it. This thing was being flown on a public street, not in that man's backyard. He'll have to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 01:02 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
You don't know it was a legal photo shoot, and there are significant regulations regarding business use and testing of drones. This was a business filming a capabilities demonstration, so they may well have been doing something illegal, or afoul of FAA regulations.
We don't know that it wasn't a legal photo shoot. The FAA is formualting regulations at this point are reactionary and as typical under such conditions, not always well thought out. And the actual (citable and enforceable) laws are far, far behind emerging technology.

Quote:
Did a quick google search, and came up with a number of current FAA limits for flying the machines, and the FAA is fining a drone flyer $2200 for flying the drone over a street near a building. There is also significant pending legislation, however, that is not law, yet.
The case you cite took place last year in New York. The fine is actually for operating a drone in controlled airspace and has nothing to do with the proximity of either a street or a building.

Quote:
You may want to actually do some research on the law and legal limitations for flying drones in any given area BEFORE you fly one. Just because something is legal in a state doesn't mean there is not a city, county, town, or township law that limits flying drones.
I'm looking to buy one soon, the same as the one pictured. Flying may be particularly hard in this area due to the nearby airports. Much of what would appear to be the local prime flying space unfortunately is over national parks.

My wife's theory on me getting one is that I just want to p*ss off the Paki neighbors. Which is only partially true.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM

861 posts, read 852,759 times
I think it is hilarious. Would have been better if he took it out with a shotgun or something.

To be honest if they did fly over his home twice, they were asking for it..

Same to waste a phantom drone tho, I wanted to get one of those myself...

Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
The drone downer was right, tired of these stupid, creepy drones. Let's hope the drone's owner has his case thrown out of the courtroom like the drone was thrown out the sky.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:35 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
We don't know that it wasn't a legal photo shoot. The FAA is formualting regulations at this point are reactionary and as typical under such conditions, not always well thought out. And the actual (citable and enforceable) laws are far, far behind emerging technology.
Yes, you are correct, but my point is, the claim was made by Grand-Pooba-9 that it is completely legal to fly a drone there with no restrictions by claiming it's legal because it was done on a public street, and drones are legal to fly in all 50 states. I am not convinced that is a true statement, based on business restrictions on drones, nuisance laws, and local ordinances on street usage, I suspect something applied that at some level restricted the drone usage.

It is possible it was a legal use, but to make the claim it's legal because it was done on a public street, and drones are legal in all 50 states, is very bad reasoning and logic, and quite possibly, if not likely, untrue.

Quote:
The case you cite took place last year in New York. The fine is actually for operating a drone in controlled airspace and has nothing to do with the proximity of either a street or a building.

Again, the point is there are restrictions and fines for flying drones in some areas and some situations.

Whether it falls under nuisance laws, FAA restrictions, city or county ordinances, or some other legal authority is irrelevant, the claim Grand-Pooba-9 is making is that it is legal under any and all circumstances in all 50 states to fly drones without restrictions. I am pointing out there ARE restrictions, and penalties, and his sweeping claim is simply unfounded.

Quote:
I'm looking to buy one soon, the same as the one pictured. Flying may be particularly hard in this area due to the nearby airports. Much of what would appear to be the local prime flying space unfortunately is over national parks.

My wife's theory on me getting one is that I just want to p*ss off the Paki neighbors. Which is only partially true.
Again, you make my point. The fact that they are legal to fly does not preclude legal limitations, restrictions, or bans in certain areas and local jurisdictions. As a hobby, I have no issue with drones, but if you make yourself a nuisance with one, well, a fat guy with a T-shirt may just swat your toy out of the sky...

Old 06-10-2015, 02:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I doubt he wins if he flew it that close to a person. Filing doesn't mean you win and even if you do its only a judgment for you to collect; the court has no part in that.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:44 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
here in Florida they will be using drones for pre and after hurricanes and other weather stuff _ go ahead throw a T on some gov't drone- maybe it should shoot back red paint or something

see now it was just the pizza guy!https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4DRTUvst0#t=19

Old 06-10-2015, 02:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I doubt he wins if he flew it that close to a person. Filing doesn't mean you win and even if you do its only a judgment for you to collect; the court has no part in that.
What video did you watch?

The one I watch had the drone flying in the street and the dude ran over to it and slapped it down.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
IMO, if someone flies a drone close enough to someone so
they can hit it with a shirt, then they should have every right to take action.
You're not kiddin'!!!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:08 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
If someone aims a gun at you, do you have a legal right to defend yourself, even if the gun turns out to be empty, with no bullets? If someone flies a drone over your house, do you have a legal right to defend yourself, even if it turns out to be empty, with no bomb?

If someone aims a camera at your backyard, what legal rights do you have to defend your privacy? Can you destroy the camera? Can you seize it and hold it to use as evidence? What is the best weapon to disable a drone that flies over your house, to make it crash land in your back yard, where you can seize it to use it as evidence of invasion of privacy?

Are there any weapons that can secretly destroy or disable drones, so the drone owner can't tell who did it? That could save drone downers the cost of litigation, at least until they post it on Facebook.

Is drone rage going to be worse than road rage? Is drunk droning going to cause accidents? Are people going to be legally allowed to text while droning? Can college professors drone while lecturing?

In a future full of robots, things are going to be so different, we probably can't even imagine the implications. If robots can be made smaller than ants, they can go anywhere ants can go. If they fly, and are almost too small to notice, they can buzz around your head and see everything that goes on around you, even if you swat some of them with a fly swatter.

The real problem with the future is that it's going to come so fast that we aren't going to have time to get ready for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events