Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 02:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Ordering one to pay for something and collecting are two different matters.
No biggy, the claimants can just swat out the money from his hands with their shirts the next time he goes to pay rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,108,600 times
Getting swatted with a shirt is one thing.
But I often wonder if the pilots of these $1000+ quadcopters are worried that people will "get even" by simply stealing them when they get too close?

I know if I was getting buzzed and filmed by one of these things that my first inclination would be "expensive toy there, YOINK!!"

Old 06-11-2015, 02:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You know Pedro, you and I agree on most things, and it's difficult to argue this logic.

On the other hand, if there is a drone buzzing in front of you there's going to be an almost primal urge to swat it like a bug. The noisy Harley & dog do require a different approach for sure.

Good analogy...it is nothing more than a remote controlled bug and a nuisance at that - like a mosquito. Swat it away as you never know what it will do. What if the operator has a lapse of cognizance and flies it into one and does injury? Prudence says swat the thing like an insect.

Last edited by armory; 06-11-2015 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Meanwhile, here in reality, there are laws...
Most excellent info.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:08 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
The man who hit the drone may have an out. Any drone being used for a commercial purpose and this one was, is required to have a permit from the FAA.
Texas is in the process of passing a law limiting how low a drone can fly over residential property. Several other states are considering the same thing.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:16 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
From the NOAA

"Landing of aircraft at locations other than public use airports may be a violation of Federal or local law. All land and water areas are owned or controlled by private individuals or organizations, states, cities, local governments, or U.S. Government agencies. Except in emergency, prior permission should be obtained before landing at any location that is not a designated public use airport or seaplane base." "Landing of aircraft is prohibited on lands or water administered by the National Park service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Forest Service, and on many areas controlled by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, unless prior authorization is obtained from the respective agency."

Are drones legally aircraft? Does anyone know?

Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
No biggy, the claimants can just swat out the money from his hands with their shirts the next time he goes to pay rent.

Big difference there. One is assault and robbery whereas the other may be construed as "property damage". One is definite jail term - felony - and the other a misdemeanor. Guess which is which.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If it were approaching me and was a danger, yes; however, in the video the man went to the drone, not the other way around.
To quote a late great president..... "Boys will be Boys".

Old 06-11-2015, 03:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Getting buzzed by these things is becoming more and more common. I've been buzzed while ranging afield, far from built up areas. I don't like it. Being watched by someone I can't see via a drone makes my hackles stand up, and there are some "hunters" using these things to scout big game as well. I believe that's quite illegal and even if its not , quite unethical.

Were I to actually observe a drone scoping a game herd during season, I'd be tempted to put a 30" heavy war arrow into it or give it a dose of AA from my AR. While I do think that these toys are kinda cool, they have a huge potential for abuse. I don't cotton to the idea of being observed and even photographed by someone I don't know. Someone with questionable motives, who could be miles away. While camping in remote areas, my gal and I have been known to ...get back to nature..and wander around camp sans clothing, as we enjoy the opportunity for spontaneous activity. Being buzzed by a drone during such a foray would cause me great annoyance and displeasure, and might easily draw some fire.

The thought of our privacy being invaded thus just makes me cringe. The photographic capabilities of these things concerns me.
This is the kind of thing that cracks me up.... People complain about invasion of privacy but are fine with our government/police watching/recording much of where we go and what we do 24/7. See those little cameras on top of the signal poles at intersections? How 'bout the ones on light poles? How about all of the cameras at malls, in stores and pretty much everywhere else the public goes.
Let's not forget the recently discovered Cessna surveillance planes that DHS is flying all over the place. Many have seen 'em flying over the Phoenix valley, me included so when it comes to privacy, maybe in your home but once outside? That ship sailed long ago.

As for the Photo capabilities, as a former owner of one of the drones like was trashed by the moron I can tell you that the capabilities are a lot less than you think. They use a gopro camera for the most part which has no zoom so when it's above house level things like people look small.
The other thing that people don't understand is many drone pilots use their camera to actually fly the drone, not looking at people. It's called FPV flight (first person video) and allows you to see what the drone sees, see where it's going and avoid hitting things. It also gives you telemetry like distance,speed,height,direction and battery status.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
From the NOAA

"Landing of aircraft at locations other than public use airports may be a violation of Federal or local law. All land and water areas are owned or controlled by private individuals or organizations, states, cities, local governments, or U.S. Government agencies. Except in emergency, prior permission should be obtained before landing at any location that is not a designated public use airport or seaplane base." "Landing of aircraft is prohibited on lands or water administered by the National Park service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Forest Service, and on many areas controlled by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, unless prior authorization is obtained from the respective agency."

Are drones legally aircraft? Does anyone know?
No, for the most part they are not. It depends on the weight. From what I read the FAA considers any unmanned aircraft under 4.4 lbs to be a model aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events