Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 10:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,306,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Why would the curtains be open when your kids are using the restroom?
First, in our bathrooms the blinds are turned in such a way that they let the sunlight in from above, but it's impossible to see anything from below or the 2nd floor of the house across the yard. Second, and most importantly, the father / homeowner won't be the one who needs to provide an explanation to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
If she does not own that entire building, or have exclusive rights to go on the roof, her right to privacy was not violated. Hilarious video though.
If she was a minor, it wouldn't matter who owns the entire building. I didn't watch the video but if she was a minor and there was any nudity, the mere fact that the video was deliberately recorded would land someone in big legal trouble. There are people who routinely change their kids' swimsuits on the public beach. A third party taking video of this would find himself in a world of hurt if caught. At the very minimum, could expect his computers and cameras confiscated and searched for forensic evidence. And if this ever goes public, that person's reputation would be destroyed regardless of whether any charges are brought up. Just because a child is in a vulnerable situation does not give anyone right to abuse them in any way. Can't say that they didn't have an expectation of privacy.

My point is, there are ways to really land yourself in a bad situation by the use of surveillance technology. From drone malfunctioning and killing someone, to the above scenario. It's just like legally carrying a concealed weapon - a dumb person will think that he's Rambo, a smart person will realize just how huge of a liability he's now exposed to, and act double cautiously and civilly.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
No, I take a more pragmatic view without being overly concerned about feelings-based considerations. The genie is out of the bottle, the smoke is out of the cigarette - there's no putting it back in. The outrage here is laughable, based in fear and ignorance and some sense of privacy which is long gone. Are you just as p*ssed that there are no hitchin' posts with all of these new-fangled automobiles on the streets?

Feelings are way over-rated when it comes to dealing with reality. Look for practical solutions.

And don't start fights you can't finish.
There's plenty of people out there who care about privacy and there are rules. We need respect for our fellow human being far more than more electronic toys. As cities are in the process of adding regulations to preserve privacy and establish rules with toys like drones, it is still obviously important to a lot of people.

I myself have ridden houses, even jumped them, and its fun but I'm glad we don't have to depend on them and wagons to get around. So no hitching posts needed. But privacy and respect for others space and for their wishes when you play with adult toys doesn't belong to any time. If we don't bother offering respect for others, then we might end up with mad max making the rules. Respect holds society's together.

And remember be careful what you wish for. Too many people acting like airheads who like their way and you won't be flying these things anywhere.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I still can't believe that it is legal to fly that drone above a public street at windshield level. It would be a traffic hazard. And did they have the required FAA permit for drones being used for business?
What ever you think doesnt give you the right to destroy the vehicle, just call the cops and let them deal with it.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:54 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,465,602 times
I would do the same thing. And pay up in court.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:05 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,838,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What ever you think doesnt give you the right to destroy the vehicle, just call the cops and let them deal with it.
Whatever you think doesn't give you the right to destroy my privacy. Just call the cops and let them deal with it when I swat your drone.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 AM

9,433 posts, read 11,191,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Oh I hope they get on Judge Judy! Anyway, that drone was personal property on a public street. The guy who broke it should have to buy that company a new one.
Yes. Big Boy was in the wrong. He walked onto public property and destroyed private property. Hopefully that will be a very expensive T-shirt he bought.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM

46 posts, read 60,627 times
I'm going to go back to my original thought. Would it be illegal to jam the frequencies of the privacy invading drones? There is no intent to harm a particular drone. My only intent would be to protect my property from privacy invaders using the airwaves to control vehicles to invade my privacy. The very inexpensive equipment (less than $100.00) can be set up on your private property and sweep through the frequencies most often used by the manufacturers, 24x7. The equipment is variable and adjustable and has ranges reaching out 200-300 ft. in a 360 degree pattern. It is not aimed at a particular drone. How could that be illegal and the drone owner's actions using those same frequencies be legal? I'm not going to shoot it, through rocks or baseballs, or swing a shirt at it. I'm going to prevent it from flying over my property with no particular harm intended. And, Workin_Hard.... My kids will feel safe from voyeurs and my hitching post will be drone free.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,095,026 times
Wouldn't it be easier to keep your kids safe by closing the drapes while they're showering or changing? That's what we do. And congrats on the hitchin' post work!

Old 06-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to keep your kids safe by closing the drapes while they're showering or changing? That's what we do. And congrats on the hitchin' post work!
Why do people take everything so literally ?

It doesn't matter whether the drapes are opened or closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events