Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 10:33 AM

46 posts, read 60,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think you may need to re-read the law. FLYING one is not a crime, nor is taking off or landing on a city/county owned road according to the law you quoted.
As for photography, "if" you are flying for the "purpose" of publicly disseminating photos then that section would apply.

Just so you know, many of these recent laws were passed in reference to law enforcement use not the general public.
Also, for full disclosure, I've had the cops called on me for test flying up and down my street. Guess what? The nervous nellies were told that it's perfectly legal. I did end up getting rid of mine due to all the stupid idiots doing stupid things like flying into fireworks displays and near airports. I figured it wouldn't be long before it was restricted so heavily that it'd be worthless.

As for the particular quad copters being discussed here, there's no way in hell they can "spy" on anyone.
Even at 200 feet you can hear them and the only picture they'd have is one like you'd see out the window of an airplane. In order for one of those to "see inside your bedroom window or bathroom window" it'd have to be right outside of said window with the lighting just right or all you'd get is glare not to mention it'd make one hell of a racket.

Here's what I don't get, people fly ultralights around here constantly, one guy has a parachute with a motor that flies overhead on occasion as well as hot air balloons. How do you know that they don't have a camera? Hmmmm? Why is there no uproar to ban those? Heck, I could put one heck of a high resolution camera on one of those that'd get pictures of your hair follicles but that's ok?

Y'all need to find another issue to get your drawers in a bunch over! If a quad copter is flying over your backyard pool at less than 50 feet and HOVERS there then even I'd be concerned but the odds of that happening are about as great as you being able to react fast enough to shoot it down, and if you happen to be that lucky then NOT going to jail for doing so.

Now if you start a discussion on octocopters or larger then that's a different story but those run about $5k ++++ and joe blow is not going to pop for something like that just to use as a toy.
I agree that the harmless drone flying in an area where no one is in danger should be left alone. If my Freq. Buster can take the drone down when it is near me or my property, I will. My handset will look like a fighter jet with decals showing my kills. Oh, no law against SENDING OUT A FREQUENCY IS THERE? Beware drone monkeys.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idphoneguy View Post
I agree that the harmless drone flying in an area where no one is in danger should be left alone. If my Freq. Buster can take the drone down when it is near me or my property, I will. My handset will look like a fighter jet with decals showing my kills. Oh, no law against SENDING OUT A FREQUENCY IS THERE? Beware drone monkeys.....
Actually you "could" be held accountable for creating a danger to people. Do you want to be hit by a falling out of control quad copter? How about one of those people you care about?

Do a google search of what those blades do when they hit someone, it ain't pretty...

Old 06-12-2015, 12:35 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Actually you "could" be held accountable for creating a danger to people. Do you want to be hit by a falling out of control quad copter? How about one of those people you care about?

Do a google search of what those blades do when they hit someone, it ain't pretty...
I don't want to be hit by a semi while driving down the road either.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
IMHO - Drones should be able to fly anywhere they want any time they want.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Old 06-12-2015, 01:48 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Even in traffic at windshield level?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
Nasa and Verizon plan to monitor US drone network from phone towers | Technology | The Guardian

Old 06-12-2015, 04:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:

A good lawyer can flip responsibility from a guy who jammed a signal back to the pilot for having it up in the sky. How can you assign blame to any but the pilot? How else did it get into the air to become a public nuisance?

We have yet to see how private use of these things plays out in years to come.

What if I could drive my car around the neighborhood by remote control and ran over kids or wrecked into another car?
Sound far fetched? What if my remote controlled quad - I don't have one - fell into a crowd of 100 people and killed one person?

Old 06-12-2015, 04:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
This is the entire thing in a nutshell - perfect.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
A good lawyer can flip responsibility from a guy who jammed a signal back to the pilot for having it up in the sky. How can you assign blame to any but the pilot? How else did it get into the air to become a public nuisance?

We have yet to see how private use of these things plays out in years to come.

What if I could drive my car around the neighborhood by remote control and ran over kids or wrecked into another car?
Sound far fetched? What if my remote controlled quad - I don't have one - fell into a crowd of 100 people and killed one person?
Now add in some fool jammed your remote, taking away your control, how do you really think that'd play out?

I see some strict regulations coming for private use given some morons keep buying and flying them onto places like the White House lawn or near commercial aircraft.
One more thing ruined by idiots...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events