Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:03 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,789,749 times

Advertisements

I worked as a nursing assistant in a care center for the elderly when I became pregnant at age 20. An RN advised me to get an abortion because I was "too young" and she insisted that my then-boyfriend and I would end up splitting up and I'd regret having a child. I didn't listen to her, had my child (who is now 26) and I've been married to my husband for almost 27 years. No one should ever tell someone else what is the "right" thing for them to do because chances are, you'll be mistaken. Just like telling someone that they should opt for adoption over abortion is not your decision to make for them. You don't have all the facts of someone else's life, so it's not possible to know what's best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,997 times
This is old news. I saw a similar study done years ago. I don't understand how it is surprising to anyone. People who are dead against abortion generally don't have them. Duh.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Most women I know who have had abortions regretted it, some felt guilty, all saw it as their last resort from whatever the situation.

I guess women who look at it as birth control not last resort wouldn't regret it.

once again depends upon the survey and sample size

Yes, that is my experience as well from those I have known over the decades.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:11 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Yes, that is my experience as well from those I have known over the decades. Actually never met one who did not regret the act.
The women who most likely don't regret their abortions aren't the ones who are out talking about it all the time. As we've seen in this thread, there's a huge stigma for women who've had the procedure, and there's perception that if they're not deeply solemnly regretful about it that they are horrible, unfeeling people. Probably the most vocal women are the ones who are now in pro-life set who use their past as propaganda.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
I think you have to ask yourself what kind of woman would participate in the article to begin with.

The ones who deeply regretted it wouldn't even be admitting that it happened. The ones who would be open about it would be more likely to be ok with it.

A real survey would be talking to all the women who had abortions at a particular clinic one year ago/five years ago/ten years ago and see what their responses would be.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Its amusing that on other threads on the abortion topic anti-choice people claim that abortions are traumatic and women who get them have life long regrets and even emotional problems afterwards.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:37 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The happiest people/couples that I know are child free.
I find this to be generally true as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
My fiance and myself are childfree and have decided on keeping it that way. Much rather enjoy each other and travel the world. We prefer the freedom of being able to pick up and go as we please. Want to sleep in late on a saturday? We can do that. Want to take a spontaneous trip to the Caribbean? We can do that. Want to go skiing for the wknd because conditions are perfect? We can pick up and do that. Why burden ourselves with an unnecessary responsibility?

Childfree and loving it. Wouldn't have it any other way...
Excellent post! We're child-free and love it too!

I do pity some of my friends who are saddled with kids they pretend to like most of the time. There was an op-ed + study a year or two ago which compared parents to drug addicts. Parents put up with something that is for the most part a crappy, soul-sucking experience, just so they can have those occasional shining moments that make it "all worth it."

Old 07-15-2015, 02:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I find this to be generally true as well.Excellent post! We're child-free and love it too!

I do pity some of my friends who are saddled with kids they pretend to like most of the time. There was an op-ed + study a year or two ago which compared parents to drug addicts. Parents put up with something that is for the most part a crappy, soul-sucking experience, just so they can have those occasional shining moments that make it "all worth it."
No need for any "pity". Different strokes for different folks. We're happily married, with children. Your happiness is definitely no greater than ours (and our happiness isn't solely wrapped around being parents, btw).

I never did understand why certain childfree people feel the need to demonize children or parents or feel as if their lifestyle is superior. Having children is a personal lifestyle choice. If you don't want kids, don't have them. No one really cares. The irony of it all is that these same people were "soul sucking" "parasites" themselves. Unless an alien abducted them right after birth, some person or persons raised them and had to forego some of their "freedoms". Or maybe not, because often these people have parent issues somehow.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:07 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
True.
Quote:
I never did understand why certain childfree people feel the need to demonize children or parents or feel as if their lifestyle is superior.
I don't demonize parents. I feel bad when they rarely get to go have fun or enrichening activities. But I find the opposite is true more often. I get demonized as well as discriminated against in the workplace and elsewhere due to not having produced copies of myself.
Quote:
Having children is a personal lifestyle choice.
Very true -- a kid is a LUXURY ITEM. Especially the second or third or beyond.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:16 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
I'll bet they do to some degree on the 1st one.

After 3-4 it's probably no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events