Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you back her ?
Yes 210 80.46%
No 51 19.54%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
um, no one is saying it's the kids fault....its the parents fault for allowing her to cry that long, and disturb other patrons. You just don't do that....

And no the kid should not be beat for it....but, what I would do, is leave....and start a regimented program at home to train the child...

Kids that cry that long, have learned, that if they cry they will eventually get their way. Reason being, the parents generally give in to what the kid wants and the kid stops crying, it's a learned behavior from the time they come home from the hospital. My son cried so badly he'd pass out....b/c he wanted to be picked up...I had a mother-in-law who insisted she needed to hold him all the time. So, I got a relative to watch him while we went out to dinner and a movie. When we came home, to our surprise, the baby sitter's mother was there, and the moment we walked thru the door, she said, "What have you done to this child".

Well we told her about HIS mother, and she said, he cried and held his breath so long, that he passed out. So, I called the doctor and he told me, the next time he does that, take him over to the sink, right before he passes out, run your hand under the water, and splash it all in his face, believe me, he will take a breath!" So we did, and it worked and believe me, we had a long talk with HIS MOTHER. LOL

None of us were there, and you have of course two different stories generating from both parties involved....it would be interesting to talk to others who were there.

But at this point in time, I'm still with the owner.
SandyJet, the poster I was responding to did blame the child: "Dads wear belts for a reason and this Dad should have used it on this brat"

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-22-2015 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The person that you are replying to quoted - Sandyjet.
yeah, thank you, I went up and read that...no, I don't believe the kid should be beat.
However, If I as a child would have done that...and it would only have taken once, my dad, would have taken me outside, and smacked my behind, once, and told me, when I stopped crying we could go back in.

I was the same way with my son, and I think I only did that 3 times...however, it was effective and it works.

He used to as a toddler, try me, when we'd go to the store, my oh my he was bad....so, I took him out of the carrier, smacked his behind, and put him back in the carrier. Never did he do it again. He called my bluff...

And I'm not into beating kids, one or two smacks across the behind are enough.

Like I said, all I had to say to him was, "Don't make me tell you one more time". My son was a charm to raise...a very polite and friendly kid, he was a people magnet, and loved adults...huggable cute, and as he grew older, he had a great big heart....lol, he came to me one time and said, "Mommy, I can't wait to have my own family!" And I'm smiling while now seeing him as a father, my God he and his wife are great parents. I'm very proud of them and the way they have raised my Grand daughter.

Sorry, me, I couldn't use a belt on a two year old.....no way....

Old 07-22-2015, 11:08 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Wow. Do you want people screaming at your kids, even if they're wrong or you're not handling them well?

Is that what we've come to as a society? Strangers screaming at each other for perceived wrongdoing? And you wonder why we as a society have become nasty and violent, and why human beings can't get along. And why something like a road range incident can lead to murder.

How do you think "feuds" begin? We are supposed to be civilized human beings. We all need to begin by ourselves, instead of expecting others to first. That means when someone does something to anger you, ask yourself if it's worth a soap opera like the one with this diner. Ask yourself how you would like to be approached for a faux pas, because that's all a screaming toddler really is.
I agree completely.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,932 times
I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but I am shocked at the poll results. The owner screamed at a 2 year old child, and you people don't see anything at all wrong with that? She even said (on a profanity-laced online post no less) that she would even have let the situation get physical if it had to. The OWNER of a business doing that, and you people don't see anything at all wrong with that?

Why didn't she instead go up to the parents to tell them to quiet their daughter down?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As opposed to just partially yelling at the kid?

Exactly, full on yelling!!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
There are three sides to every story. I have yet to hear the truth. The diner owner sounds like an ******* who can't control herself.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
I can't really blame the owner. It's not like she hit the kid, just yelled at it. Some kids could benefit from a little voice-raising. While the owner made a pretty bad PR decision, that's the main thing I fault about it. When parents won't take their little screaming hellspawn somewhere that the kid won't ruin it for everyone else, and just expect the world to accept a ruined experience "because it's my child," they need to be embarrassed in public. Not sure how else you teach a grown person manners. So I think it was dumb on the owner's part from a business standpoint, but not evil or morally wrong. Morally wrong was letting one's snowflake make the experience suck for the whole restaurant. Parent your kid, or if you won't, face the consequences. It's not like people deserve a trophy for reproducing. Parents aren't somehow specially privileged.

I'd go down and give the restaurant a try, but I think it's in downtown Portland, and it takes a much more powerful lure than a diner to get me to go to downtown, even with the Max.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 AM

206 posts, read 382,614 times
No. I don't support the parents, either.

In this situation the baby was the victim all around and the restaurant owner didn't help anything by adding her childish tantrum to the actual child's tantrum.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:55 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Diner owner under fire for yelling at crying toddler - TODAY.com

Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,716 times
Good. She should of told the parents to leave if they could not control their child. Yelling at a two year old is stupid, especially if the child doesn't know you. I will follow this up by saying when my daughter was little she acted up and off she went, outside to cool off with me or her mother. If that didn't work we left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events