Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Exactly, NC has made arrangements so that the rights of all are respected. Hopefully the NC law only applies only to existing clerks (the current compromise should be a stopgap measure not a permanent solution). The permanent solution is to only hire those willing to administer the business of the state whether they take personal offense to it or not. Once the exempted clerks retire, all clerks will be required to perform the same duties.
But the NC fix would have nothing to do with the clerks issue, since she is the the boss in that office, it only applies to deputies, and assistants, she is the county clerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes …

As a Catholic Christian, I obviously have deep sympathy for anyone whose formed conscience conflicts with her/his legal duty … so accommodations must be made, and apparently North Carolina is getting it *right* all around ...
And the clerk had the ability to excuse herself while allowing deputies to issue the licenses. Honestly, no one would have known about her beliefs if she had just let someone else in the office issue the licenses.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The state has made arrangements to cover the need. The people recusing themselves are totally getting out of the marriage business, so they aren't discriminating. They are not failing to preform their job as defined by the state. What is the issue?

I salute North Carolina for addressing the issue before it became a circus like in Kentucky.
Performing marriage ceremonies is NOT the same thing as issuing a marriage license!!!

Issuing a marriage license is a clerical function.
  • You're both of legal age or have parental consent. Check.
  • You've had any required blood/health tests. Check.
  • You both meet whatever other legal hoops the particular state requires. Check.
  • Pays your fee, and gets your license. NOW you can get married.
This fundamental procedure is no different than getting your driver's license.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
i don't hear the christians complaining about the divorce rate...God doesn't care much for divorce either. I'm pretty sure the christian divorce rate is the same as everyone else's.
Well they don't complain about it because conservative Christians are getting divorced more than the rest of us. Consider Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who is being held in contempt because she refused to issue marriage licensees to Gay couples. Married and divorced four times.

And consider that fundamentalist Christians are most likely to get divorced - as are people from The Bible Belt.

What 'War on Marriage?' Divorce Rates Are Highest Among Evangelicals | Alternet

Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Performing marriage ceremonies is NOT the same thing as issuing a marriage license!!!

Issuing a marriage license is a clerical function.
  • You're both of legal age or have parental consent. Check.
  • You've had any required blood/health tests. Check.
  • You both meet whatever other legal hoops the particular state requires. Check.
  • Pays your fee, and gets your license. NOW you can get married.
This fundamental procedure is no different than getting your driver's license.
I agree with you, but I am not the one who feels in conflict. There are many things that I think are unreasonable or even ridiculous when people demand their "rights" and I think we'd all be better off if people on both sides of conflicts learned to be more flexible and respectful of the other side's viewpoint. But, far too many people don't really want tolerance and compromise, they want complete capitulation and surrender.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:04 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
i don't hear the christians complaining about the divorce rate...God doesn't care much for divorce either. I'm pretty sure the christian divorce rate is the same as everyone else's.
No, Christians have a much lower divorce rate. I forget what the statistics are but I remember there is a wide gap.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, but I am not the one who feels in conflict. There are many things that I think are unreasonable or even ridiculous when people demand their "rights" and I think we'd all be better off if people on both sides of conflicts learned to be more flexible and respectful of the other side's viewpoint. But, far too many people don't really want tolerance and compromise, they want complete capitulation and surrender.
In the case of the clerk only one side is wanting complete capitulation and surrender. That is the clerk.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In the case of the clerk only one side is wanting complete capitulation and surrender. That is the clerk.
That is not related to what North Carolina did. There are alternatives in place, something Kentucky needs to do.

Compromise, in other words.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:12 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,864 times
Quote:
Yes … The County Clerk in Kentucky, sworn to do her duty, to uphold the laws, is being completely intolerant …
She demands absolutely that GLBT persons must "capitulate and surrender" to HER ...

Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes … The County Clerk in Kentucky, sworn to do her duty, to uphold the laws, is being completely intolerant …
She demands absolutely that GLBT persons must "capitulate and surrender" to HER ...
This is a thread about North Carolina's decision on how to address a potential problem, not the Kentucky clerk. There are two other threads on that topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events