Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I can think of several reasons but I wasn't there so I don't really know.

But who cares?? The important thing is that an apparently dangerous dog was put down and can no longer threaten and harm human beings.

The bicycle rider should be given a medal for his actions.

WHY?? Cause he is a coward that has to resort to a gun, and shooting an animal in the rear area? Wow a true tough guy he is- Thank you for your service, but I also hope you get the help you so desperately need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You don't know my border collie! If this was a hunter that shot and killed the dog and not a bicyclist, my bet the thread would be much longer.

My question; how and why was the dog shot in the back and not the chest or face?

Why shot in the back as opposed to the chest or face...............maybe bad aim???

No biggie, he can go down to the dog-pound and buy another one for 20-25 bucks!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Why don't the dog lovers see the real problem. The problem is, a large dog was allowed to roam away from home and frightened a bike rider to the point he shot the dog doing so in what he felt was self preservation.

Nothing else matters.

I do understand dogs, and have been involved with them about 80 years. In the 1950s, my wife and I bred German Shepherds on a smaller scale, with our kennel name for registration being Alrena. Our first dog, was from a long line of champions, in US and Europe.

Our first one, was purchased to protect my wife and children as I worked evenings and got home at 10 p.m. We had a peeping tom in our neighborhood that had all the women frightened, and I was not home in the evening (winter time in the Silicon Valley). A few days after we bought Cindy, we heard the peeping tom outside our bedroom window. I opened the bedroom door and the sliding door onto a patio. The peeping tom ran and slammed the gate behind him. Cindy cleared a 6 ft. redwood fence as if it was not even there. She came back when the peeping tom left our driveway (55 feet long). She had a little blood on her muzzle. The next day we all knew who was the peeping tom. It was the man next door who was limping from the dog bite who put up another 2 feet addition above he 6 foot fence between us that day never saying a word. The following day their home went for sale, and they moved away over the weekend. No more peeping tom problem. That dog had a lot of friends in the neighborhood as the ladies now felt safe for themselves and their children.

The peeping tom did not call the police, or anything else about being bitten, as it would have put him in jail for being the peeping tom that had terrorized the ladies in the neighborhood at night for a couple of months. The police had been called several times, and could not help us. Cindy was not mean, and the kids in the neighborhood loved to come over and play with her. But when someone was violating our home, she bit hard enough to draw blood through his clothes.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:43 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Why shot in the back as opposed to the chest or face...............maybe bad aim???

No biggie, he can go down to the dog-pound and buy another one for 20-25 bucks!
Most likely a dog running to attack someone is facing them, are they not?

Your last statement is uneducated and not worth my response!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:09 PM

42 posts, read 28,322 times
Honestly, I'm shaking my head at all of you posters on this thread who have expounded at length in quite a lot of detail on exactly how this big bad dangerous dog maneuvered to get this poor scared witless idiot biker into its slavering jaws to rip him to shreds. Hmmm, I am amazed to learn that we are privileged to have people with such amazing psychic powers among us that they are able to have such clear vision of an event that happened some distance from them and which they were in no position to see. Wow, do we actually have the h e r o e s from that tv show of the same name right here in our country in 2015? Aren't we lucky?

Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer
I don't care who's dog it is, if I'm being attacked and have a means to save myself, bye bye dog.
Well YES if your being attacked then NATURAL PRESERVATION takes over...... Thats understandable!!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:30 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Since Major Mike & his dad had been in the papers, makes me wonder if the shooter knew who he was killing. Since others can make up a vicious dog attack, I can wonder if the shooter hates soldiers. If two hero's lived in my neighborhood, I'd know it. (and be very proud of them)

Something about this story stinks. R.I.P. Mike

Old 10-21-2015, 12:41 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,106 times
I am so tired of all these cowboys whether it be cops or civilians playing the I was being attacked or was in fear of my life card and not have a single scratch on them. These trigger happy dopes feel threatened by a barking dog. The only time a dog should be shot is if significant injury has been inflicted on a person being attacked or if a dog is attacking a person unprovoked. End of story. You get the typical posters on here posting their typical rhetoric and it is tiresome. I think people are so quick to shoot a dog because they know they won't be charged with a crime. That needs to change. Feeling threatened and actually being physically attacked are two different things and there are ways to remove themselves from a perceived threat real or not with out whipping out a piece and shooting.

Some dog shootings are justified. SOME, not all. Most are an over reaction by people who have aren't confident enough in their ability to defuse the situation in a non violent way. If these people can't meet that physiological profile they have no business being armed in the first place because the outcome and reasoning will always be the same.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:29 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Why don't the dog lovers see the real problem. The problem is, a large dog was allowed to roam away from home and frightened a bike rider to the point he shot the dog doing so in what he felt was self preservation.
You ASSume this is true. You refuse to acknowledge the dog was shot in the back. Seems to me that the dog was in the act of self preservation. How about the fact that NO BARKING WAS HEARD? Yea, that prep was frightened. Since you claim to be involved with dogs ... how did all that go over your head?

El Nox

Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Since Major Mike & his dad had been in the papers, makes me wonder if the shooter knew who he was killing. Since others can make up a vicious dog attack, I can wonder if the shooter hates soldiers. If two hero's lived in my neighborhood, I'd know it. (and be very proud of them)

Something about this story stinks. R.I.P. Mike
Yep, this is my thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events