Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:47 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

Something about bikes and to a lesser degree, cars, just seems to bring out the prey instinct in a lot of dogs.

I used to bike my dog around the neighborhood. He'd be on leash and under control, trotting alongside me while I rode the bike. I can't tell you how many times we'd go past a yard with an owner and his dog, loose, of course. Those dogs would take one look at my dog and just zip on out after us. Maybe they thought my dog was running away from him.

My Dobe was very much a dominate male and all I ever had to do was stop, drop the bike, and turn around and face the dog. That would stop them in their tracks and then if we started forward, the dog would back away and run back home.

The thing is, I never could understand people having their dogs loose in the front yard. What if the dog chased a cat out in front of a car, or went after a kid out for a bike ride, or even went after someone else's dog just being walked down the sidewalk? Owners always think their dog isn't going to do anything, but the safest place for anyone's dog is on lease or in a fenced yard. No if, ands, or buts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 01:00 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
A small town, a latent wannabe killer bicyclist carrying a gun in his arse tight uniform ( really?????), a barking dog, it just clicked. A small town, a bicyclist, a gun, oh my, gotta wonder about the nuts living and driving bicycles etc. there. No common sense, no balls, just guns and latent urge to kill something, he must be a cop.
That's my take. Awful lot of dog haters here.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:36 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Something about bikes and to a lesser degree, cars, just seems to bring out the prey instinct in a lot of dogs.

I used to bike my dog around the neighborhood. He'd be on leash and under control, trotting alongside me while I rode the bike. I can't tell you how many times we'd go past a yard with an owner and his dog, loose, of course. Those dogs would take one look at my dog and just zip on out after us. Maybe they thought my dog was running away from him.

My Dobe was very much a dominate male and all I ever had to do was stop, drop the bike, and turn around and face the dog. That would stop them in their tracks and then if we started forward, the dog would back away and run back home.

The thing is, I never could understand people having their dogs loose in the front yard. What if the dog chased a cat out in front of a car, or went after a kid out for a bike ride, or even went after someone else's dog just being walked down the sidewalk? Owners always think their dog isn't going to do anything, but the safest place for anyone's dog is on lease or in a fenced yard. No if, ands, or buts.
It may not change anything, but this wasn't a regular house/neighborhood, with homes and sidewalks, the guy and dog lived on a farm, horses and goats etc. The dog wasn't kept loose but was being watched by a friend while owner on trip, and he got out somehow.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:16 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I don't feel like we have enough evidence to really know what happened. Everyone has a spin on it.

The dogs past makes this a rather unfortunate event, but unless you were there and saw how this played out, you don't really know how it went down.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:23 AM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I don't feel like we have enough evidence to really know what happened. Everyone has a spin on it.

The dogs past makes this a rather unfortunate event, but unless you were there and saw how this played out, you don't really know how it went down.
^^^This.

Right now it's a rohrshack test since we don't have enough info.

All we are learning here is what biases posters have.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 AM

280 posts, read 325,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

It's sad. If the cyclist is found at fault somehow, the anti-gun lobbyists will have something new to feast on.
No, we don't need this one. There is a steady stream of children shot to "feast" on.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:12 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I'm one of those troops who served their country (how about you?) who also happens to be tired of people who use their service as an excuse for everything they do wrong such as letting their dog run wild threatening people.

Anyway, dogs aren't heroes no matter how many badges you pin on them. They are simple creatures who aren't capable of thinking about things, they aren't even self-aware. "I think, therefore I am" does not apply to dogs. Everything they do is determined by their instinct and/or training.
While not on the level of humans, dogs are not simple creatures. You are dead wrong!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So much for Supporting the Troops. ********** guy and his 20 years of service and SIX tours of duty in Iraq, we should be happy his dog was shot, we should be dancing with joy at the thought of his dog being taken from him! Sorry for the sarcasm, but I do not get your attitude. It would be one thing to say "well, he had to do it and I accept that", but to be happy about it?? That's sick, JMO.

Dog was shot from behind per the story.
Sadly there are a lot of sick people in this world. Some make the themselves known on Internet forums.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 AM

Who knows maybe the dog did not attack and only did so when the guy came onto the driveway, the property. Plus why not get on your bike and ride off? Dogs won't be able to chase down bikes.
Maybe this guy had no business being there and the dog was defending the property. The fact that he changed his story means he is a liar.

I have a feeling he will be to the dog what George Zimmerman was to Trayvon Martin. We saw he was not a great guy and was quite violent.

We will have to see.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Part of the problem dog owners seem to have these days is they fail to treat them like property. This results in instead of dominating the dog the dog controlling the owners. Watch the average american walk a dog, who is walking who? Loose large dog running at you is a threat and can and should be treated as such, it is ultimately property, treated as such this would probably not have happened.
No dogs are animals and living things and not property. Dogs walk because they are living things, sometimes they walk fast and sometimes they stop frequently and walk slow. This is not an American thing, its the case everywhere.
Your mindset is totally sad and wrong, dogs are living things that have feelings and what not. Sometimes they like being touched other times they want to be left alone.

You are so so wrong. Tell me where are dogs all acting like property and all walk behind their owners?
Please just stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events