Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:18 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Out of control dog chasing and threatening a bicycle rider possibly causing grave injury.

Bicycle rider defends himself and shoots dog.

Good. I'm happy the bicycle rider escaped uninjured and the dangerous dog is dead.
So much for Supporting the Troops. ********** guy and his 20 years of service and SIX tours of duty in Iraq, we should be happy his dog was shot, we should be dancing with joy at the thought of his dog being taken from him! Sorry for the sarcasm, but I do not get your attitude. It would be one thing to say "well, he had to do it and I accept that", but to be happy about it?? That's sick, JMO.

Dog was shot from behind per the story.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 10-18-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:34 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Sad story all around. I'm not convinced the dog was attacking the cyclist. But here's the thing - I think people like cops should be required to be trained to recognize dog body language, but you can't require that of your average citizen. The dude protected himself, and that was his right.

I feel awful for the dog and his owner, but I have very athletic dogs myself. I always make sure they are in a secure and safe place, and never leave them unattended if they are out of my house. Even if they are in my well-fenced yard, I rarely leave them alone for more than 5 minutes or stick to working in the kitchen, where I can see their every movement through the windows.

Belgian Malinois are even more athletic than the breeds I have, and they can be very defensive of their property/people, ESPECIALLY if they have anxiety issues. That makes it imperative to have a good fence and provide constant supervision. If you're going away and can't provide an experienced dog person to look after them, they should be put in a high-quality boarding kennel with secure fences and a well-trained staff.

I think this dog's owner saw his dog more as his buddy and partner rather than a dog with major anxiety issues, The owner knew he'd be reunited with his dog soon, but the dog had no way of knowing that. He would have likely been a basket case with his owner gone and his routine disrupted.

This was a failure on the owner's part, I'm sorry to say.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:41 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Part of the problem dog owners seem to have these days is they fail to treat them like property. This results in instead of dominating the dog the dog controlling the owners. Watch the average american walk a dog, who is walking who? Loose large dog running at you is a threat and can and should be treated as such, it is ultimately property, treated as such this would probably not have happened.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Part of the problem dog owners seem to have these days is they fail to treat them like property. This results in instead of dominating the dog the dog controlling the owners. Watch the average american walk a dog, who is walking who? Loose large dog running at you is a threat and can and should be treated as such, it is ultimately property, treated as such this would probably not have happened.
This was a highly trained bomb sniffing dog that worked with this owner on his last 2 tours of duty in Iraq, so I would think your theory would no apply here. If the dog did not listen to the owner, they never would have been paired up in Iraq nor would he have won two Bronze Stars, in fact the dog would have been most likely released from duty if he didn't listen to commands. The guy himself did 6 tours of duty in Iraq, so I don't think he was a pushover type of man.

Both dog and owner came back from Iraq with PTSD, the dog was actually being treated for it by the military, too.

He got out of his fence, I don't know who was watching him, his owner was on a hunting trip. Very sad but I don't see a reason to cast blame, I think just a tragic accident.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:57 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This was a highly trained bomb sniffing dog that worked with this owner on his last 2 tours of duty in Iraq, so I would think your theory would no apply here. If the dog did not listen to the owner, they never would have been paired up in Iraq nor would he have won two Bronze Stars, in fact the dog would have been most likely released from duty if he didn't listen to commands. The guy himself did 6 tours of duty in Iraq, so I don't think he was a pushover type of man.

Both dog and owner came back from Iraq with PTSD, the dog was actually being treated for it by the military, too.

He got out of his fence, I don't know who was watching him, his owner was on a hunting trip. Very sad but I don't see a reason to cast blame, I think just a tragic accident.
While yes the dog was highly trained it certainly could have gone to seed after returning. The bicyclist also does not have this information as a rather large dog is running at him. The average American dog is trained in a **** poor manner.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
While yes the dog was highly trained it certainly could have gone to seed after returning. The bicyclist also does not have this information as a rather large dog is running at him. The average American dog is trained in a **** poor manner.
I'm not saying the biker was wrong, nor about the average american dog, which I would agree with, but this was not an average dog and it had much more exceptional training than a normal dog. The owner was 20 year military, and the dog was already trained as well or better than a police dog to listen to this man. The dog would not just stop listening to him when they got home.

I just don't get why the owner must be vilified, can nothing anymore just be a tragic accident that isn't traceable directly back to someone being a bad owner, or a bad this or a bad that?

Old 10-18-2015, 10:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I have been chased by dogs while I have been riding a bicycle or a motorcycle. I have never felt I had to shoot one.

I do not know much about dogs but I am certain you never leave one alone. The veteran should have taken is buddy hunting with him. I send him condolences for losing a friend. I'll bet it was not the first friend this guy lost.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:07 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not saying the biker was wrong, nor about the average american dog, which I would agree with, but this was not an average dog and it had much more exceptional training than a normal dog. The owner was 20 year military, and the dog was already trained as well or better than a police dog to listen to this man. The dog would not just stop listening to him when they got home.

I just don't get why the owner must be vilified, can nothing anymore just be a tragic accident that isn't traceable directly back to someone being a bad owner, or a bad this or a bad that?
The owner was in the mountains hunting, so the dog was unsupervised. The problem with Malinois is that when they are not under the control of an experienced handler, they tend to just do their own thing. High-level training means nothing when there is no one around to reinforce it, especially with a dog that is dealing with its own PTSD. Unfortunately, I do have to blame the owner for apparently not ensuring the dog was properly supervised by qualified individuals or properly contained when he went away.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The owner was in the mountains hunting, so the dog was unsupervised. The problem with Malinois is that when they are not under the control of an experienced handler, they tend to just do their own thing. High-level training means nothing when there is no one around to reinforce it, especially with a dog that is dealing with its own PTSD. Unfortunately, I do have to blame the owner for apparently not ensuring the dog was properly supervised by qualified individuals or properly contained when he went away.
I wasn't aware that all the facts in the case had come out. Who did the guy leave him with?

Actually just looked it up so I'll answer....he had a friend staying at the home watching him (it is possible the dog's PTSD precluded taking him hunting, but I don't know). It was a farm, not a regular home with a yard, so maybe more places to get out?

Again though, why blame him? Don't most people let other people watch their dogs? He didn't need any more "qualified" person to watch him than any other dog. Dog got out, tragic, but I again see no need to add to his tragedy by searching for a reason to blame him.

He still believes the dog was not being aggressive, and again both stories say the dog was shot from behind.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 10-18-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Here's a detailed story about the solider and dog from the Washington Post long before the dog got killed: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...in-each-other/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events