Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:26 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Except that isn't what we are talking about here.
We are talking about a dog that WAS trained and at great expense to the American taxpayers, I might add.

The latest:

Veteran wants military burial for combat dog shot, killed by... | www.wsbtv.com

An interesting detail from the WP link:

According to the shooter: "When he shot the animal, it was about 5-10 feet away, the man said."
And, we already knew that he shot the dog in the rear.

So, no imminent danger then.

This story reeks.

A combat dog who earned Bronze Stars in Iraq was killed in Wyoming. His owner wants to know why. - The Washington Post
Dog running at me and is only 5-10 feet away? That is imminent risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 04:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
And incidentally, just what was this dog "trained at great expense to the American taxpayers" trained to do (and earned medals for doing)? Very likely it was attacking people--a "combat dog" as the title says. So now some clown takes this dog to the USA and lets it run loose? Give me a break. The only life for that dog was to be kept tightly under control; the alternative was recklessness and cruelty to animals. I'm just glad it didn't hurt anyone during its post-army life.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:27 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Dog running at me and is only 5-10 feet away? That is imminent risk.
Yep, the dog could have beat the biker to death with its tail or a roundhouse kick with a front paw.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Yep, the dog could have beat the biker to death with its tail or a roundhouse kick with a front paw.
Combat dogs dont become combat dogs because they are gentle.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:20 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
It's an "American thing" again. Why am I not surprised? A revolver in a holster attached to the bike just in case the rider needs to shoot someone sometime?

What the ...?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:37 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
And incidentally, just what was this dog "trained at great expense to the American taxpayers" trained to do (and earned medals for doing)? Very likely it was attacking people--a "combat dog" as the title says. So now some clown takes this dog to the USA and lets it run loose? Give me a break. The only life for that dog was to be kept tightly under control; the alternative was recklessness and cruelty to animals. I'm just glad it didn't hurt anyone during its post-army life.
Way to read the article. It was a bomb sniffing dog. And the "clown" was his Special Forces handler who raised and trained him from a pup. They served two tours in Iraq together. The Soldier then adopted the dog when it was time for the dog to retire.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
You have an unhealthy hatred of dogs, I would not want to see you wih a gun near a dog. Plus I have never seen dogs eat heir own feces, but that is beside the point. Dogs are dumb, yes that's why law enforcement and others use them for detection and other purposes.

I don't hate dogs....but they are about as smart as cheese-loaf. And the dog-worshippers make it worse by not training their dumb animals, and elevating them to a status that is out of touch with the reality of these dimwitted animals.

Eat and swallow a rubber-toy that will kill you, dine on your own ****, run out and get splattered by a semi, mooch off of humans because you are nowhere near as smart as a coyote or wild cat, attack innocent people, bark at nothing for hours on end..............a truly BRILLIANT animal!!!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Define "attack". I was barked at, chased by dogs, that what dogs do. A bicycle can outrun any dog out there, and I dont recollect older dogs doing much of chasing, 9 y.o. dog is like 55 y.o. human, chasing is one of the last things on its mind. A bicyclist had a gun on him, which suggests something very peculiar about his state of mind, CIA and extraterrestials must be after the guy, and then dog barked confirming his worst fears.

UHHHH, attack as in charging with teeth bared.

And if a poop-eater-animal chases me, it gets what it gets......I have no idea what is going through the idiotic animal's mind.

I ride a bike and I carry a knife.....just in case a poop-eater-animal wants to attack me.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
How about a secure fence around a yard for your well loved dog Mike (or anyone) so he doesn't escape and threaten people? Not so hard.
Maybe the yard is fenced. Fence gates are left open, usually unintentionally, by people such as meter readers. Or perhaps the dog with PTSD spooked at an unexpected noise and scaled the fence in his anxiety to escape the noise. I've known pet dogs to scale six foot fences easily and certainly a trained military service dog can scale just about any fence. Or chewed through his tie-out due to anxiety.

How about a little compassion for a veteran and scaling back on the ass-umptions until we have the full story?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:49 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If you read the story from the local paper, the owner had a friend watching him.

The "victim" also claimed he was attacked by a pack of dogs, but then later admitted the three other dogs present were not aggressive at all. All were smaller breeds then the Malinois.....including a PUPPY. So, a liar right off the bat.

Also, the Soldier says the dog was incredibly friendly, and would only bark or become protective if somebody entered his property and/or looked in the back of his truck. The dog was essentially shot in his driveway.......so what does that tell you? It tells me this "victim" was likely snooping on the property. Why was he off his bike? He says he got off it so he could defend himself with the bike, swinging it around. That was his first instinct? Not to at least try to ride away first?

And a bicycle holster? Really? lol For what? It's not like critter is going to jump out of the bushes. That area is flat as a pancake farmland. How do you shoot an attacking dog in the ass?
Oh, I think the guy is probably a complete *******, and I generally take a dim view of people who feel the need to carry while they ride a flippin' bicycle. But it IS Montana, and there is an awful lot of wildlife that can threaten you. Heck, I'm in the Denver area, and recently in my area someone came face to face with a few bears in their very suburban development right on the sidewalk. Multiple bears means a mama and her cubs, which is a very dangerous situation.

But I can't entirely discount that a dog from a very volatile breed with anxiety and PTSD may have been the aggressor. You say there were multiple dogs, and really that's a pack. Packs can be dangerous.

But yeah, to a certain extent, I find blame with the dog owner for apparently not choosing someone who had the experience/responsibility to keep a dog like that under supervision while the owner was away. I have very smart and athletic dogs who are very attached to me. My friends who watch them when I go on business trips never leave them unsupervised outside because when I'm gone, they aren't as predictable. I'm their alpha, and when I'm gone, they are at a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events